Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

20 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

Here's a gold mine, opens from most of Benedek Broadcasting's stations from 1997, including some never before ones! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkX-g829SLg

A lot of great stuff came out of that dumpster dive that person did including some vintage airchecks. When WWLP moved they left EVERYTHING behind.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 11:22 PM, sfomspphl said:

KPIX Dec 1987 open (cut off) - glimpse of a short lived update to the 84-88 set that replaced the plain beige backdrop behind the anchors with a world map, and updated the masthead banner above

"Masthead banner"-- that's a term I've never heard before. Are you referring to the part of the set that had the title of the broadcast (or the overall name of that station's news operation), much like would be on CBS Sports in Studio 43 in the 80s, when Brent Musburger was on The NFL Today, with The NFL Today title in the background on the set?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

"Masthead banner"-- that's a term I've never heard before. Are you referring to the part of the set that had the title of the broadcast (or the overall name of that station's news operation), much like would be on CBS Sports in Studio 43 in the 80s, when Brent Musburger was on The NFL Today, with The NFL Today title in the background on the set?

You got it. 'Masthead' is what newspapers call their logo on the top of the front page. Banner well that seems like something you'd hang high up. 

I think Roone Arledge, who started the practice when he overhauled ABC NEWS, had some name for them -  maybe it was banner or signage or something.

I'm guessing in the KPIX case they saw KTVU had a plain beige masthead banner and used a world map for the center backdrop and was climbing in the ratings, so figured why not try that.  Their prior masthead banner was an ABC NEWS knockoff with the black background. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sfomspphl said:

You got it. 'Masthead' is what newspapers call their logo on the top of the front page. Banner well that seems like something you'd hang high up. 

I think Roone Arledge, who started the practice when he overhauled ABC NEWS, had some name for them -  maybe it was banner or signage or something.

I'm guessing in the KPIX case they saw KTVU had a plain beige masthead banner and used a world map for the center backdrop and was climbing in the ratings, so figured why not try that.  Their prior masthead banner was an ABC NEWS knockoff with the black background. 

Excellent response-- very informative! I take it then that these studios from 20/20 in the 80s w/Downs and Walters, and The Prudential College Football Report in 1986 w/Jim Nantz for CBS Sports, are also examples of masthead banners.

Also, I'd like to know-- was CBS Sports' Studio 43 overhaul in 1981 (this Studio 43 of course also being used for CBS News at one time, on the CBS Morning News w/Kurtis and Sawyer) based on Roone Arledge's ABC idea?

20201986.jpg

prucfr86studio.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Excellent response-- very informative! I take it then that these studios from 20/20 in the 80s w/Downs and Walters, and The Prudential College Football Report in 1986 w/Jim Nantz for CBS Sports, are also examples of masthead banners.

Also, I'd like to know-- was CBS Sports' Studio 43 overhaul in 1981 (this Studio 43 of course also being used for CBS News at one time, on the CBS Morning News w/Kurtis and Sawyer) based on Roone Arledge's ABC idea?

20201986.jpg

prucfr86studio.jpg

Who knows if they specifically said 'copy ABC News' but wouldn't be surprised if it influenced people involved in the project. Not a lot else on TV those days than the 3 networks.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 2:05 PM, hmaxhanson said:

Here's a gold mine, opens from most of Benedek Broadcasting's stations from 1997, including some never before ones! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkX-g829SLg

Great to see some rare stuff from KGWC and KGWN here. That newscast I recently found from KGWC is probably one of the rarest news finds I've ever made in the years I've been collecting off-air VHS recordings. And if I can find it, I have another partial newscast from 1993 to post soon. Talk about small town TV quality.

In addition,  I am spying an eBay VHS lot from Missoula that has, according to the seller, recordings from both Montana and Phoenix AZ on the tapes. But I am not sure if I will grab it because of the excess surplus of tapes I still have. I added about 11 new tapes from an estate sale 2 weeks ago in Sunnyside, 30 mi SE of Yakima. I was able to find a 1986 KIMA NewsBeat clip that I will post soon.

And now a flashback to growing up north of Seattle: KIRO 7 Eyewitness News at 11, taped 2/2/2003. Wayne Havrelly is one of the anchors.

And a little bit of Up to the Minute from later that night, with Bonnie Behrend filling in for Melissa McDermott

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1