Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WTSP (ABC) from 9/10/94 with a CBS This Morning promo touting the program's switch from WTVT to WTSP which took place on 9/12/94. I also didn't realize The Price Is Right moved over well before the official switch on 12/12/94.

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

WTSP (ABC) from 9/10/94 with a CBS This Morning promo touting the program's switch from WTVT to WTSP which took place on 9/12/94. I also didn't realize The Price Is Right moved over well before the official switch on 12/12/94.

I remember when WTSP showed the MDA Labor Day telethon that year they were advertising CBS This Morning and The Price Is Right moving on September 12th. Only the network morning shows and morning daytime shows which was only TPIR and ABC’s Mike and Maty at that time switched channels prior to December 12th. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jerseyfla said:

I remember when WTSP showed the MDA Labor Day telethon that year they were advertising CBS This Morning and The Price Is Right moving on September 12th. Only the network morning shows and morning daytime shows which was only TPIR and ABC’s Mike and Maty at that time switched channels prior to December 12th. 

Getting TPIR was a coup for WTSP and so was Late Night with David Letterman. Always baffled me how WTSP has been an underperformer in news but great in programming along with airing Wheel and Jeopardy!

9 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I guess ABC's Good Morning America also moved to WFTS on 9/12/94. I could be wrong on that.

I think you are right. I'm not sure if they were doing any local news yet, though. There is a preview video on YT for WFTS "28 Tampa Bay News" that says "Starting December 12th"

Edited by 8Viewer

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

Getting TPIR was a coup for WTSP and so was Late Night with David Letterman. Always baffled me how WTSP has been an underperformer in news but great in programming along with airing Wheel and Jeopardy!

I think you are right. I'm not sure if they were doing any local news yet, though. There is a preview video on YT for WFTS "28 Tampa Bay News" that says "Starting December 12th"

The local news did indeed start 12/12.

• Like 1

Let me see if I got this right, and again I could be wrong. WTSP was airing CTM (CBS This Morning) and TPIR (The Price is Right) on a ABC station (Now a CBS station). WTVT expanded their morning news show GDTB (Good Day Tampa Bay, 7-9am) on a CBS station (Now a FOX station). And WFTS was airing GMA and maybe Mike & Matty on a FOX station (Now an ABC station).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Let me see if I got this right, and again I could be wrong. WTSP was airing CTM (CBS This Morning) and TPIR (The Price is Right) on a ABC station (Now a CBS station). WTVT expanded their morning news show GDTB (Good Day Tampa Bay, 7-9am) on a CBS station (Now a FOX station). And WFTS was airing GMA and maybe Mike & Matty on a FOX station (Now an ABC station).

Yes. Confusion all around unless you're WFLA.

11 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

The same type of situation happened in other New World markets, with the daytime shows moving to their new station 3 months before the full switch occurred. For example in Atlanta, Price is Right had moved to WVEU 69 in September of '94, which CBS was planning on buying before they struck an 11th hour deal with WGNX to affiliate with them.

9 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Yes all correct. WFTS would keep the same graphics and blue logo until the switch was complete in December. There were no news cut-ins at 25/55 after the hour but there was a still graphic with background music during local weather cut-ins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

The same type of situation happened in other New World markets, with the daytime shows moving to their new station 3 months before the full switch occurred. For example in Atlanta, Price is Right had moved to WVEU 69 in September of '94, which CBS was planning on buying before they struck an 11th hour deal with WGNX to affiliate with them.

IIRC, KDFW (Now Fox) did the same thing when they were a CBS station. The Price is Right and The Bold & The Beautiful moved to independent station (Now CBS) KTVT in the fall of '94 after KDFW preempt them in favor for Phil Donahue and short-lived syndicated court show, Juvenile Justice. KTVT also cleared select CBS prime time shows at KDFW preempted in order to run locally produced specials.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

IIRC, KDFW (Now Fox) did the same thing when they were a CBS station. The Price is Right and The Bold & The Beautiful moved to independent station (Now CBS) KTVT in the fall of '94 after KDFW preempt them in favor for Phil Donahue and short-lived syndicated court show, Juvenile Justice. KTVT also cleared select CBS prime time shows at KDFW preempted in order to run locally produced specials.

Speaking of "Juvenile Justice", AFAIK, there is absolutely no footage of the show surfacing anywhere on the internet!

KPIX Eyewitness News Nightcast April 1990 with a longish close of the 1988 Michael Karp package

These graphics / the open were replaced later in the year by the avant garde lower thirds that replaced over the shoulder graphics 

And KGO March 1984 with the 1982-84 custom theme package 

KPIX December 1983 Nightcast (partial) 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

KRON May 1980 Update 11pm preshow and open

Some early Telesound Signature action on KPIX 1981 - cued up in 2 spots

KPIX 1987 Nightcast preshow (weeknight version. -  a little more action packed than the weekend version above)

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1