Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 9/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, PelicanGuy said:

It does beg the question: how would THIS be covered today? A good video on ethics in journalism...for 1984.

On a related note, a 1987 commentary by media critic Ron Powers on the ethics of showing a person's death on television:

• Like 2

About 280 unique entries in my collection of WLS opens, and this is one I've never seen before. The station had used, to my knowledge, little more than a flash of the logo over a wide shot of the set as an open until their WPVI-style 1992 revamp. This clip shows us something rather different. (12/27/78)

• Like 2

Couple of WVEC clips I just ran across 

From 1978, a story by Kathy Barnstorff on the Phoebus section of Hampton 

From 1987, local restaurant owner Nelson Fuller (interviewed in the 1978 piece) being interviewed by WVEC's Sherri Brennan 

• Like 1

It's the KAPP Local News Hour, taped December 2nd, 1998. Dana Cowley and Issa Arnita are the anchors:

And a NEW find! About half of KNXV News 15 at 10, from February 28th, 1997, same day as the North Hollywood Shootout. If I recall, this is my first newscast find from Phoenix.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

And a NEW find! About half of KNXV News 15 at 10, from February 28th, 1997, same day as the North Hollywood Shootout. If I recall, this is my first newscast find from Phoenix.

In 1997, KNXV used "Live, Local, Late-Breaking," as its slogan, while its competitor KPHO opted for a completely different approach -- "Local, Live, Late-Breaking." Who says that consultant-driven local news is beholden to formulas?

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Haha 1

Denver Colorado's "Big Switch" of 1995!

KCNC-TV 4, formerly affiliated with NBC, becomes owned and operated by CBS.

KMGH-TV 7, formerly affiliated with CBS, becomes an ABC affiliate.

KUSA 9, formerly affiliated with ABC, becomes an NBC affiliate.

KCNC-TV 4 put out a special outlining the details of the affiliation switch (which station gets what network's programming and what programming stays at each station following the switch (mostly syndicated shows), plus some new TV shows these stations will get (syndication or network programming).

Here's that video, divided into three parts:

Here's KMGH-TV 7's report on the big switch on the following day:

...and KUSA, channel 9:

On 10/16/2021 at 6:51 AM, iron_lion said:

9/11/01: Live with Regis & Kelly featuring WABC news coverage

Off the satellite feed, I see. As WABC was into live coverage, I doubt this got aired on any of their affiliate stations that day. Amazing to see this.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Off the satellite feed, I see. As WABC was into live coverage, I doubt this got aired on any of their affiliate stations that day. Amazing to see this.

The only portion of Live's 9/11 episode I've seen was in the 9/17/01 episode intro in which aired clips of this. It was up on You Tube years ago.

I wondered why they went ahead with the show. Was it because the studio audience was there, for west coast stations, or they expected to air this the following day? According to an interview with Kelly Ripa they did so with the assumption that they wern't pre-empted in other markets and they continued until stations across the country took over coverage.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1