Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 8/17/2021 at 11:14 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

KELP? Tv 13 El Paso 1977 news clip (first of all who in their mind would name a station in a city where's bone dry 😜😜⁉️)

I’m thinking this is KLBK/13/Lubbock and not KELP for several reasons

- References to the South Plains and the Panhandle of Texas - KLBK referenced the South Plains in one of their 90s opens, plus El Paso would be too far to be covering this area.

- Mentions of delayed programming were for One Day At A Time, M*A*S*H, and Lou Grant, which are CBS programs, not ABC programs, as KELP would have carried.  KLBK is a CBS affiliate.

Jim

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, compubit said:

I’m thinking this is KLBK/13/Lubbock and not KELP for several reasons

- References to the South Plains and the Panhandle of Texas - KLBK referenced the South Plains in one of their 90s opens, plus El Paso would be too far to be covering this area.

- Mentions of delayed programming were for One Day At A Time, M*A*S*H, and Lou Grant, which are CBS programs, not ABC programs, as KELP would have carried.  KLBK is a CBS affiliate.

Jim

Actually, KELP-TV changed its call letters to the present KVIA in 1979. Also, the channel moved from 13 to 7 in 1981.

Edited by tw-804

A sales presentation produced shortly after the launch of CNN2 (later Headline News, now HLN), urging local TV station managers to subscribe to the service, both in the form of simulcasts at certain hours of the day and as a source of national/international stories for the local newscasts (a service that evolved into CNN Newsource):

Edited by WWUpdate

4 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

A sales presentation produced shortly after the launch of CNN2 (later Headline News, now HLN), urging local TV station managers to subscribe to the service, both in the form of simulcasts at certain hours of the day and as a source of national/international stories for the local newscasts (a service that evolved into CNN Newsource):

During the overnight hours, in lieu of CBS, ABC and NBC affiliates (and even independent stations) signing off for the night, we continue our broadcast day with CNN Headline News in progress. That's one of the many features offered in that CNN2 service.

• Like 1

Forgive me if this was already posted. From The Media Stash YouTube Channel by Roma Torre 

A bunch of TV nostalgia, mostly from Pittsburgh. I don't think Roma posted these on her old channel that got killed.

The Media Stash - YouTube

Two of my favorites below that helped me learn more about the Pittsburgh market.

50 years of Pittsburgh TV and Radio with great clips with a long promo from WPXI's 1981 call letter and image change.

1998 video documentary about the Ethical Dilemma of TV News by Patti Burns

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

KTLA, Los Angeles; 10 p.m., 1974:

The song that opened up the 10p news on KTLA at the time is "Now That You've Gone" by Chicago (from the album Chicago V; this song, Saturday in the Park, and Dialogue, are three of the best songs on the album, as well as some of Chicago's best songs overall!)

Also, aside from his TV work in L.A., Clete Roberts was probably best known nationally for his appearances on M*A*S*H, where he interviewed the members of the 4077th (The Interview and Our Finest Hour are the episodes in question)

• Like 4