Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Just now, WWUpdate said:

I don't know if this was the only reason, but at the time, the news divisions of NBC's five O&Os were under direct control of NBC News. (Reuven Frank talks about this in his biography.)

Even if it wasn't the only reason, it's still a very good one-- very informative response. I'll have to look up that bio-- seems very interesting.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WKRG-ID 1994
(snip)

WALA-ID/promo 1991

(snip)

WEAR-ID 1991

(snip)

WALA-ID 1997
(snip)

Beware of that Steven Walsh guy. He just reposts other people's videos. He has taken IDs from videos posted by The ID Junkie/Junkie's Tape Bin, Ntropolis, Rochester TV Archive, Channel 37, and others hours after those channels have uploaded their own videos. He gives no credit or does not ask prior to reposting other people's captures. I recommend not supporting users like him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

A 1982 CBS News report on the national news explosion of the early '80s:

The start of 24/7 broadcasting after CNN launched in 1980: This time, it was on local network affiliates. Meaning NBC affiliates carried Overnight, CBS News aired Nightwatch (now CBS Overnight News) and they even had the option to include CNN Headline News in their overnight lineup (ABC affiliates included after Nightline). 

Early Risers Delight: this was for people who don't have the luxury of watching the CBS Morning News, ABC's Good Morning America or NBC's Today Show. They need to be right out the door to beat the morning rush. CBS Early Morning News, ABC's World News This Morning and NBC Early Today + local morning news = what early risers needed before getting to work or school on time. 

ABC Late Night was never the same since NIGHTLINE Entered the Picture: Pre-1980 Consisted of wide world of entertainment, reruns of ABC primetime shows and movie of the week. Nightline with Ted Koppel launched in March 1980, giving ABC affiliates a post-late news alternative to Johnny Carson, who was a really big deal at rival NBC at that time. 

And who knew that Jeff Greenfield would join ABC News later on, and the same person he interviewed (Roone Arledge) would be his boss?

• Like 1

Couple of uploads from Video Bill's channel; both of which are dealing with aging emergency services in Norfolk 

1993 WAVY report on aging Norfolk fire trucks 

WAVY report on the aging emergency services in Norfolk (has 1986 listed in the title, but based on some late 1986 clips I've seen elsewhere that had the 1985-86 graphics and the set from approx. 1983; I'm leaning towards this being early 1987 at the earliest)

Two 1994 WAVY uploads from my channel 

One, a promo for a story on television violence 

The other is a teaser taken from an April 24, 1994 Barney special (my sister was 4 years old at the time, which is probably the only reason my parents taped said special)

Here are some commercials and a newscast segment as aired on WMTV in Madison, WI during Valentine's Day 1985.

Take note of two different themes that WMTV used for its opens - the first open seen at 5:32 uses a cut from "Hello News" while the second open at 13:33 uses an unknown news theme.