Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

35 minutes ago, okiechi said:

It's been a little bit since I've been this way, but I came across this just about, oh, 10 minutes ago.

"90s AF" would be an understatement.

It's the Peters special. I can't describe it any other way.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheOneManHerd said:

In the open, was that...Danny Dark?!?!?

I was thinking the same thing. Mr. NBC voicing a news open for and ABC O&O? Dark should be voicing a news open for rival station KRON 4, which was indeed the NBC affiliate at the time.

Shouldn't it be Mr. ABC himself Ernie Anderson doing the voiceover for THIS KGO open?

I heard Anderson's voice in the other two other opens using the rare KGO theme
http://www.newsmusicsearcharchive.com/#3,1,378

4 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Mr. NBC voicing a news open for and ABC O&O? Dark should be voicing a news open for rival station KRON 4, which was indeed the NBC affiliate at the time.

Shouldn't it be Mr. ABC himself Ernie Anderson doing the voiceover for THIS KGO open?

Well, Ernie would get his “revenge” (in a manner of speaking) four years later when he voiced the open for a CBS affiliate. Maybe they were allowed to do voice work for another network’s local stations.

Edited by TheOneManHerd

10 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

When WBZ went from NBC to CBS, Danny Dark was still the VO for their news opens.  Must have been a contractual thing despite the affiliate change.

• Like 2

PAX's WeatherVision segment that they aired every night, taped sometime in March of 2000!

KNBC Channel 4 News, 5/21/89, including most of Sunday Night Sports with Fred Roggin.

KABC Eyewitness News clips from Oct/Nov 1988

And back home to Yakima with the open to KNDO News 23 Late Edition, 11/20/1995, with Heather Hays

Another KABC newscast, this one a 1972 one from Obsolete Video with what could be described as rather unusual shenanigans involving Stu Nahan and the KABC weatherman (don't recall his name) along with celebrity filled commercials (including future Dallas star Linda Gray in a Geritol ad and a National Airlines commercial featuring Kim Basinger as she was just starting out)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Another KABC newscast, this one a 1972 one from Obsolete Video with what could be described as rather unusual shenanigans involving Stu Nahan and the KABC weatherman (don't recall his name) along with celebrity filled commercials (including future Dallas star Linda Gray in a Geritol ad and a National Airlines commercial featuring Kim Basinger as she was just starting out)

The weatherman? Dr. George Fischbeck (or simply Dr. George); holder of AMS Seal #92, a bit of an unusual thing to have in LA.

Edited by TheOneManHerd
  • Like 1

Probably one of the rarest newscasts I have ever found. It's the Great Western News at 10:00, originating from now-newsless KGWC-TV 14 Casper, WY (and taped off their satellite in Lander, WY, KGWL-TV 5). Note the 'set' - a desk in front of bookshelves full of books, like it's a psychiatrist's office or someone's library or office room. One guy adjusts cameras behind the scenes and does floor directing at the same time. And then the male anchor juggles three jobs at one - news, weather AND sports!! No wonder KGWC has no news department nowadays.

On 7/18/2021 at 4:47 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Probably one of the rarest newscasts I have ever found. It's the Great Western News at 10:00, originating from now-newsless KGWC-TV 14 Casper, WY (and taped off their satellite in Lander, WY, KGWL-TV 5). Note the 'set' - a desk in front of bookshelves full of books, like it's a psychiatrist's office or someone's library or office room. One guy adjusts cameras behind the scenes and does floor directing at the same time. And then the male anchor juggles three jobs at one - news, weather AND sports!! No wonder KGWC has no news department nowadays.

You should look for the late 90s blooper reel. Benedek improved the quality of that station quite a bit after purchasing the station (including a studio relocation) but could not get stable management and shuttered it as the company ran financially aground.

There's another partial KGWC newscast coming from '93 (relayed from KGWL 5 Lander). I didn't find anything from KTWO in that period, and KFNB/KFNR never aired news. It's my first newscast found from the state of Wyoming. I've looked at the Casper newspaper for that period and I notice that in the '80s they carried most stations from Denver. Let me guess, Casper folks WITH cable watched KMGH more than KGWC?

34 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

There's another partial KGWC newscast coming from '93 (relayed from KGWL 5 Lander). I didn't find anything from KTWO in that period, and KFNB/KFNR never aired news. It's my first newscast found from the state of Wyoming. I've looked at the Casper newspaper for that period and I notice that in the '80s they carried most stations from Denver. Let me guess, Casper folks WITH cable watched KMGH more than KGWC?

KFNB had news briefly in the late 1980s (1986–87).

X-posting this from the YouTube thread, as it's important info about some classic video uploads that are on there.

Today is the last day before YouTube privatizes all unlisted videos from before 2017 for some type of security update. In all honesty, this is pretty ridiculous of them to do, but I'm not all surprised to see they're doing some shenanigans that will cause some clips to possibly become lost media. Its so infuriating.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/update-youtube-unlisted-links/

Anywho, if you know of any videos you might've seen that are unlisted, what I'd recommend is to save them and have the name of the original uploader somewhere in the file name. That way, if you wanna reupload it, you can credit the person who originally posted it, but got the video privated because of YouTube's update. I wish it didn't come at a very inconvenient time for me, but alas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChocoMingo said:

X-posting this from the YouTube thread, as it's important info about some classic video uploads that are on there.

Today is the last day before YouTube privatizes all unlisted videos from before 2017 for some type of security update. In all honesty, this is pretty ridiculous of them to do, but I'm not all surprised to see they're doing some shenanigans that will cause some clips to possibly become lost media. Its so infuriating.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/update-youtube-unlisted-links/

Anywho, if you know of any videos you might've seen that are unlisted, what I'd recommend is to save them and have the name of the original uploader somewhere in the file name. That way, if you wanna reupload it, you can credit the person who originally posted it, but got the video privated because of YouTube's update. I wish it didn't come at a very inconvenient time for me, but alas

One question, how do you view privatized videos on YouTube?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:52 PM, Samantha said:

You should look for the late 90s blooper reel. Benedek improved the quality of that station quite a bit after purchasing the station (including a studio relocation) but could not get stable management and shuttered it as the company ran financially aground.

I have 2 newscasts from the late 90s/early 2000s from KGWC/KLWY. It was the same newscast (anchor, stories, mispronunciation, etc.), but with different graphics and theme for the Fox feed vs. the CBS feed…. Basically, they either taped it, or aired it live at 9pm, and then took a clean feed and inserted different graphics for the 10pm feed…

Jim

• Like 1

And speaking of towns barely able to support news operations, here's a special Cub Scout open from the now-defunct KNAZ in Flagstaff, Arizona:

If the set looks vaguely familiar, it was a hand-me-down from sister station KPNX in Phoenix:

At least KNAZ was able to for as long as they did. Even if they could 'barely' support news, the community supported them. Small town TV is great, when done right. Then KNAZ lost money and sent everyone packing, simulcasting Phoenix instead.

Anyways, another 'small town TV' newscast, KAPP 35's Nightcast from 12/21/90 with a young(er) Dana Cowley, Mark Lee and Bob Romero.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, WWUpdate said:

WMAQ, Chicago; 10 p.m., 1967 (We've seen brief clips of this newscast before, but I don't remember ever seeing the whole thing):

Why would this WMAQ Chicago 1967 late edition have a title that would make it seem like it was being shown directly on NBC, instead of on WMAQ (NBC News Night Report)?

20 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

Why would this WMAQ Chicago 1967 late edition have a title that would make it seem like it was being shown directly on NBC, instead of on WMAQ (NBC News Night Report)?

I don't know if this was the only reason, but at the time, the news divisions of NBC's five O&Os were under direct control of NBC News and their news directors were also NBC's bureau chiefs. (Reuven Frank talks about this in his biography.)

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2