Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

11 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

Baffling that nobody has been able to identify the "techno" news theme that WBNS was using. 

It is very clearly from a production library. Maybe Killer Tracks? Compare to the PRISM Sports logo on

EDIT: KT31-15 "Zap Ya" https://www.universalproductionmusic.com/en-us/discover/albums/589/sweepers-and-stingers-volume-1

They've added some of the stings from Dawn (track 37) for WBNS...not sure if that was a separate edit.

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 2

Southern California's #1 News, the Channel 4 News at 11, taped 3/23/97 (includes part of Sunday Night Sports)

Partial KATU Channel 2 News at 11 with Jeff Gianola (top story: Billy Graham comes to Portland), taped 9/23/1992

Part of the KPTV Ten O'Clock News, taped 9/9/92

• Like 1

Not a newscast, but towards the end of this late-night commercial compilation from KUTV is a promo with then-fresh-hire Bob Evans (now a long-time anchor at KSTU) reading the 'memo' sent to him by Randall Carlisle on how to master the news...and a Donahue promo airs in between!

1 hour ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Not a newscast, but towards the end of this late-night commercial compilation from KUTV is a promo with then-fresh-hire Bob Evans (now a long-time anchor at KSTU) reading the 'memo' sent to him by Randall Carlisle on how to master the news...and a Donahue promo airs in between!

Gotta love how KUTV turns up everything but an open from this era... The theme package is killer from all I've heard of it (and we've been piling up non-news open uses of it). Also nice to see more of the Livin' in Utah short promos...noticed they changed the end animation between February and August to the one that matches the signoff supercut...but you have a different version!

The partial one you uploaded has a different Utah Jazz section (there was a coaching change midseason for the Jazz and the full version has footage from a 2-1-89 game with the Atlanta Hawks), and it also attributes the beginning quote to "Al Seethaler, Vice President and General Manager". Seethaler left that year, or maybe in 1989?, for KMGH.

Seethaler hired Mike Youngren for KMGH, too... Keep this in mind (and the fact that we have a 1983 mention of the Mike Post KUTV theme) while reading the Tulsa TV Memories material:

Former KOCO News Director Mike Youngren - after he left 5 - had a memorable campaign of original music done in Salt Lake City by a local composer that I loved for a station there. Hell I used to play the package on my car cassette player driving to work - it was so good. Mike also had Mike Post - composer of all sorts of TV music such as the Rockford Files - do a package for another station he was VP of News at. Thru Mike - I contacted Mike Post and his partner Pete Carpenter (yes of the Carpenters' fame) about music for the National Assoc. of Broadcasters Convention - when I worked at NAB. NAB poor-boyed though it with something Frank Gari had unsold on the shelf and re-adapted for NAB. Hey - I got a free CD from Mike Post out of it and a chance to talk to the man!

Edited by Samantha

I still have a few more tapes with KUTV-taped movies or miniseries broadcasts on them...never say never! However it seems like these folks did a lot of time-shifting and the recording ended at 2 hours on the dot. It came from an eBay lot a few months back out of Burley, Idaho (Twin Falls market), but the seller's family lived in Pocatello during that period, and Salt Lake TV was carried on cable - no SyndEx, no blackouts, right in the middle of the Idaho Falls market! That all changed at the start of 1990 when SyndEx went into effect. Bye bye Salt Lake.

A lot of folks in Ellensburg, where I live currently, did the same thing with Seattle networks. 4, 5 and 7 were all carried on Ellensburg cable for decades, and were watched MORE than Yakima stations at times. Once SyndEx went into effect, network programming went bye bye, and KOMO/KING/KIRO were moved to partial feeds on cable channel slots in the 20s or low 30s I think. Channel 7 became HSC, channel 4 became Family Channel, and I think 5 became Headline News or KYVE. From then on out, you were required to watch network shows on Yakima stations. The reaction was very mixed and there were some angry folks at city council meetings.

Maybe it's the 90s kid in me, but stumbled across this clip that caught my attention. It's a snippet of 20/20 featuring a story of three Waynesboro, VA high school students who submitted - and managed to get produced - a story that was made into an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures 

• Like 1

Very cool to see more of Arizona's News People Mk I — which included the 1986 theme. They weren't Arizona's Family until 1990 — the opens didn't change until independence, though, and in the case of the 10pm not until February 1996.

It's been a little bit since I've been this way, but I came across this just about, oh, 10 minutes ago.

"90s AF" would be an understatement.

Edited by okiechi
  • Like 1