Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Another freshy uploaded WMAQ clip, this time the 10 p.m. news from 1982. The station was still using the NewsCenter 5 branding in the open -- but, as you can see here, it was already being phased out, with even the lower-thirds referring to Channel 5 News:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

I hope nobody’s posted these yet

Some great views of 1990s WNYT, complete with glimpses of Ed Dague, Chris Jansing, Norm Sebastian, and Mark Mullholland back when he was a lowly sports reporter.

Skip to 6:47 for a great promo featuring Phil Bayly and his awesome pedo mustache

Edited by Jared DiCarlo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

Interesting to see the late Ed Schultz (MSNBC, RT) in the open.

I definitely did a double take when I saw Ed. That ended up sending me to this video with a 1987 open and Ed live from the Metrodome with an interview with Marv Albert (misindentified by the chyron guy as Herb Alpert). 

Edited by TheOneManHerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, WWUpdate said:

Another freshy uploaded WMAQ clip, this time the 10 p.m. news from 1982. The station was still using the NewsCenter 5 branding in the open -- but, as you can see here, it was already being phased out, with even the lower-thirds referring to Channel 5 News:

And there is the late Jim Tilmon with weather, and the late Chet Coppock on sports (also, it's great to see the full version of a Chicago newscast [this 1982 WMAQ late edition] that was originally on that same channel as just clips).

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 10:35 PM, newsteam13 said:

Man, who could forget what happened in Denver 25 YEARS AGO?

FALL 1995...That was the time Mile High City Television (matter of fact TV in ALL of Colorado) had changed forever.

9 became 4 of course. As you see here, NBC had moved from KCNC to KUSA. 4 became 7, because CBS moved from KMGH to KCNC. 7 became 9 because ABC moved from KUSA to KMGH. Indeed it was confusing, but it grew on some of us. 

Along with the switch came changes in partner stations, especially in Colorado Springs. KOAA was a partner station to KCNC, seeing that they were both NBC affiliates. After the switch KOAA's partner station became KUSA. KRDO was partner station to KUSA, because both were ABC affiliates. But KRDO's partner station became KMGH and it still is today. KKTV and KMGH were partner stations (both were CBS affiliates), but now, KKTV's partner station is KCNC.

See how the BIG SWITCH not only affected Denver stations? ALL of Colorado TV changed forever

A little change to you listing here: KRDO & KUSA are news share partners, and KOAA & KMGH are now sister stations because Scripps purchased Cordillera Communications on May 1, 2019. 

On 4/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, WWUpdate said:

For those who missed this one, the URL has changed:

On 4/28/2021 at 12:02 AM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Thanks for the Vegas newscasts, @compubit. Did you ever make it up to central/southeastern WA anytime in your news recording days, to record KEPR or KIMA, KNDU or KVEW? Just wanted to ask in case I missed a post somewhere along the way.

Unfortunately, that is one of the few markets I have no newscasts from.  I’m still going through old tapes, but have not been to central Washington.

Jim

A couple of newly uploaded clips featuring my absolutely favorite era of CNN (in terms of music, graphics, set, and just overall look & feel):

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, compubit said:

Unfortunately, that is one of the few markets I have no newscasts from.  I’m still going through old tapes, but have not been to central Washington.

Jim

Darn. Oh well. That's where you have me to fill you in! I went to an estate sale last Saturday in Yakima and found a tape that had among other things, 2004 KNDO and KIMA newscasts on it. One of KNDO's Northwest Today, one of the 11pm KNDO news and a partial clip of KIMA NewsWatch at 11. Those are going up to Archive soon as is everything else I've found so far...trying to hurry and get them up as fast as I can. I should have the Flood of '96 specials and news clips, Stu Seibel's final forecast and most of the other 'big' finds up this month. And keep in mind, the "AVTB" channel on YouTube is where you can find same-day or next-day copies of the Internet Archive videos. I mentioned this on the 'YouTube discussion' page.

• Sad 1

Bob Wallace, a longtime WBBM personality, has died. For years, he was best known for his light-hearted feature reports, but here's a clip of him sitting in for Bill Kurtis in 1974:

Here's WBBM's obit:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/05/04/cbs2-bob-wallace-obit/

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

KCBS weekend report 1985

WCVB channel 5 1987

KPRC channel 2 News segments 1990 

WHDH Weather alerts on the day of "The Perfect Storm" 1991

WHDH News 7 1991

WITI TV 6 News at Noon 1978

The WTVD 78-79 Collection

Edited by SoFloTVClassics
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

KCBA News 35 1992

KMST 46 Eyewitness News 1992

That KMST set...never seen one like that for evening news. Looks like they were going for the living room of a seaside cottage.

Some KCRA footage from what looks like the late '70s (I don't think the year 1982 is correct) showing off their transition to tape and live microwave technology.  I love how Bob Whitten is showing off the LiveCamera 3 van and it's microwave equipment... but it looks like its not even installed yet. 😁

Edited by RCA TK47
  • Like 2