Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WBBM pays tribute to meteorologist and aviation expert Jim Tilmon, who died over the weekend. The piece includes plenty of historical footage featuring the Chicago TV legend:

Here's a longer version of one of the clips seen above -- Tilmon on WMAQ in 1979 providing his analysis of what caused the crash of American Airlines Flight 191 immediately after taking off from O'Hare:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1

One of my favorite news themes is the KPRC NBC2 Custom Package from Toby Arnold and Associates. NBC2 in Houston used that theme from 1988 until 1992. In this broadcast of Channel 2 News Nightcast from 1989, we'll get to hear the almost complete closing theme at the 24:48 mark

Then for the 6pm newscast from 1990, we get to hear a different closing theme at the 28:29 mark, which is part of the KPRC custom news theme package

On 1/15/2021 at 12:14 AM, Samantha said:

Not exactly local news, but with plenty of interesting presentation: CBN NewsWatch Today for November 4, 1995, with a custom Gari package and voiceover by Hal Brown:

My family recorded a lot of the 700 Club and a fair amount of TV preachers in general (comes with the territory of being a preacher's kid); and I've seen this intro for the news segments (this was during the period when CBN effectively treated the news segment as almost a separate series from the 700 Club proper) quite a bit. 

Knowing that this was a Gari track has me a bit curious as to whether a clean version of the theme might surface.

To let everyone know who hasn’t figured it out, my Vimeo account is back, and all of the old videos have been resurrected...

Here’s the link to my 2021 channel (new stuff as it’s posted...):

https://vimeo.com/channels/1672797

Recent additions include:

WRC from 1998

Binghamton/Utica from 2001

Jackson, MS from 2004

KDUH from 2005 (Near the end of local newscasts On this incarnation of the station - the newscasts we’re going by the KOTA Territory Name at this time, but we’re being done out of KDUH, except the weather from KOTA/Mike Modrick )

The full site is here:

https://vimeo.com/compubit

Enjoy!

Jim

Edited by compubit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

KRDO in 1995, is this a Gari theme?

Yes it is! It's called the CBS-AM package, which KRDO was using in 1994 with (a) a lipstick makeover of the old set and (b) graphics. By this time in 1995, KRDO had just gotten a new set (with a new news open and graphics to go along with it). KRDO was still using the CBS-AM package, they just changed the cuts to reflect the new set in 1995.

One year later in 1996, KRDO kept the 1995 news open, but they switched to another Gari theme, which was Image News, first used by Hearst stations.