Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

News. Out. Of. The. Box. 15 minutes of show elements and highlights in glorious 60fps at master quality! This might be the vintage news video of the year, and it's only January 8.

There's also some other material...

and

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Samantha said:

News. Out. Of. The. Box. 15 minutes of show elements and highlights in glorious 60fps at master quality! This might be the vintage news video of the year, and it's only January 8.

at the 5:52 mark - we get to hear the near-complete closing theme, which was part of the KIRO news theme package done locally by the Seattle Symphony. It was almost like listening to the theme from the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather; it had a thunderous, pounding orchestral sound.

In My Opinion, News Outside the Box was the XFL of local newscast. I mean, it was a brilliant, totally badass idea, but unfortunately, it never caught on with the Seattle news audience. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 11:36 PM, newsteam13 said:

at the 5:52 mark - we get to hear the near-complete closing theme, which was part of the KIRO news theme package done locally by the Seattle Symphony. It was almost like listening to the theme from the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather; it had a thunderous, pounding orchestral sound.

In My Opinion, News Outside the Box was the XFL of local newscast. I mean, it was a brilliant, totally badass idea, but unfortunately, it never caught on with the Seattle news audience. 

Some elements remind me of another failed format:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found this on the FuzzyMemories channel. It's a 1973 CBS News special called "What's the Presidency All About?" (apparently a Saturday morning broadcast {having preempted Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids} and which the description describes as almost like an extended version of the long-running In the News segments) and was hosted by then-CBS Chief White House Correspondent Dan Rather 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

From Chicago, a rare WFLD clip from the period after Kris Long left and before Walter Jacobson joined the station as the 9 p.m. co-anchor -- along with a pretty unconventional open:

Talk about FOX ATTITUDE right there...especially in the news open. Feels like WSVN up in here throughout the show!

Edited by newsteam13

8 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

From Chicago, a rare WFLD clip from the period after Kris Long left and before Walter Jacobson joined the station as the 9 p.m. co-anchor -- along with a pretty unconventional open:

I did a little digging in the past, and while he's not there, Walter had debuted as co-anchor at least a couple months before this broadcast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Hadley said:

More CNN Headline News from its golden era. This block aired May 24, 1988, and the start of the video has that copyright bumper I've been looking for for years.

Ahhh, the CNN Headline News I remember. It was where America could watch a 30-minute national newscast every half hour 24/7. World and National news that was ready when WE were. While we were having breakfast, on our lunch break, after dinner, before bed, whenever! We knew what was going on (across the country and around the world) every chance we got during the day EVERY DAY. That's just not the case anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, Chris Hadley said:

More CNN Headline News from its golden era. This block aired May 24, 1988, and the start of the video has that copyright bumper I've been looking for for years.

How great it would be if we had anything like Headline News today. Just news, no opinions, debates, or sensationalism.

• Thanks 4