Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

28 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

Tampa/St. Pete from May 1990: WTSP w/ Jineane Ford; WTVT with Hugh Smith, Leslie Spencer and Alan Wendt:

I didn't know Jineane Ford anchored in Tampa Bay before heading off to Phoenix to anchor at KPNX NBC 12

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newsteam13 said:

I didn't know Jineane Ford anchored in Tampa Bay before heading off to Phoenix to anchor at KPNX NBC 12

Yes, she wasn't there long. Maybe 2 years. I remember one day she was anchoring at 5pm on WTSP and then a couple of months later I see her co-hosting the (1992?) Fiesta Bowl parade on New Years Day on NBC as she had just joined KPNX.

1 hour ago, jerseyfla said:

Yes, she wasn't there long. Maybe 2 years. I remember one day she was anchoring at 5pm on WTSP and then a couple of months later I see her co-hosting the (1992?) Fiesta Bowl parade on New Years Day on NBC as she had just joined KPNX.

Right. She joined WTSP in early 1989 with the intent that she would replace Sheryl Browne. The ND, Terry Cole, was arrested in the computer scandal, and subsequently fired. I read a news article that said Mr. Cole was "infatuated" with her. I suspect he had her in mind for a spot down the road when he was leading KWCH prior to coming to Tampa. So Jineane continued on the 5:00 show until fall of 1991, I believe. 

Edited by 8Viewer

12 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

Right. She joined WTSP in early 1989 with the intent that she would replace Sheryl Browne. The ND, Terry Cole, was arrested in the computer scandal, and subsequently fired. I read a news article that said Mr. Cole was "infatuated" with her. I suspect he had her in mind for a spot down the road when he was leading KWCH prior to coming to Tampa. So Jineane continued on the 5:00 show until fall of 1991, I believe. 

She came to WTSP straight from KTVK, right? Or did she go from WTSP to KTVK and then to KPNX?

5 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

She came to WTSP straight from KTVK, right? Or did she go from WTSP to KTVK and then to KPNX?

KTVK (1986–89)
WTSP (1989–91)
KPNX (1991–)

From the article on her arrival at KPNX:

Ford said she has been looking for another job for about nine months. "It wasn't working out here (at WTSP)," she said, adding that ownership problems "have made it a really unhappy shop."

She was apparently headed to Dallas if not for KPNX reaching out!

t also is worth noting that the view from Tampa was that, when Cole and Barresi left, it ended her dreams of replacing Sheryl Browne at WTSP. (She was replaced there by Sue Zelenko.)

1976612779_ScreenShot2020-10-28at12_38_51.thumb.png.4f3911ff30ebfb4fc139bd31a8c3dfda.png

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

From 1987, CBS Morning News with Faith Daniels and the legendary Douglas Edwards (who had anchored the CBS Evening News before Cronkite replaced him in 1962):

I've never seen that particular set before. Did CBS just use that for "CBS Morning News" or did it have other uses? 

15 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

I've never seen that particular set before. Did CBS just use that for "CBS Morning News" or did it have other uses? 

You've seen it before, you just haven't realized it.

That set is the "fishbowl" - the main newsroom and headquarters of CBS News in New York, used from Dan Rather in the 90s up until Scott Pelley and the Evening News moved into the current CBS This Morning studio next door.

It's still their newsroom - but it got a remodel and is only sparingly used on air.

1 hour ago, WWUpdate said:

That's the CBS Evening News desk in the background, right?

Indeed, and the set got a touchup around then for the transition to the Trivers Myers theme and graphics - but same space they used for years prior

You can see at 14:40 here

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WWUpdate said:

Another Phoenix treat from Bryan Beasley's channel; a 1977 KTAR (now KPNX) news promo:

I didn't know KPNX (then KTAR at the time) also used the ALIVE branding (aka 12 ALIVE). I'm guessing that was part of the Combined Communications Corporation/Gannett thingy, along with WLKY Louisville (32 ALIVE), KOCO Oklahoma City (5 ALIVE) and of course WXIA Atlanta (11 ALIVE and STILL IS to this day).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

I didn't know KPNX (then KTAR at the time) also used the ALIVE branding (aka 12 ALIVE). I'm guessing that was part of the Combined Communications Corporation/Gannett thingy, along with WLKY Louisville (32 ALIVE), KOCO Oklahoma City (5 ALIVE) and of course WXIA Atlanta (11 ALIVE and STILL IS to this day).

Oh yeah, Combined loved it some Alive. (WPTA kept that slogan through several transactions!) Seems to have mostly been used here in '77 and '78.