Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

20 hours ago, TheOneManHerd said:

[KCRA and You was] Tuesday, actually.

I was going to bring that up, but didn't get around to it. I've heard that compilation before, and I honestly believe that theme has to be misattributed on NMSA. The theme cut there sounds quintessentially Tuesday. Not sure where the claim that it was Peters originated (perhaps it was on the old Pipeline news themes site in the early 2000s, and got passed around from there, but I'd have to go on Wayback Machine to be sure). Now that we've had a lot more package IDs from both Tuesday and Peters over the years, I'm thinking it is Tuesday. I can't imagine that one lone Peters thing somehow mistakenly wound up in this compilation of stuff that is definitely known to be Tuesday.

Edited by TServo2049

1 hour ago, TServo2049 said:

I was going to bring that up, but didn't get around to it. I've heard that compilation before, and I honestly believe that theme has to be misattributed on NMSA. The theme cut there sounds quintessentially Tuesday. Not sure where the claim that it was Peters originated (perhaps it was on the old Pipeline news themes site in the early 2000s, and got passed around from there, but I'd have to go on Wayback Machine to be sure). Now that we've had a lot more package IDs from both Tuesday and Peters over the years, I'm thinking it is Tuesday. I can't imagine that one lone Peters thing somehow mistakenly wound up in this compilation of stuff that is definitely known to be Tuesday.

To also bring up the Tuesday/Peters fiasco, is the Tuesday 9 Theme for NBC affiliates.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Chris Hadley said:

In better condition, video-wise, than other postings of this broadcast on YouTube is the first 3 hours of CNN from June 1, 1980:

What an awesome way to commemorate CNN'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY (1980-2020)!!!!! The FIRST 24-hour cable channel devoted to news. My, my, my! The network has indeed come a long way since the first 3-hours in 1980 anchored by Sacramento's husband/wife team Dave Walker and Lois Hart

5 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

What an awesome way to commemorate CNN'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY (1980-2020)!!!!! The FIRST 24-hour cable channel devoted to news. My, my, my! The network has indeed come a long way since the first 3-hours in 1980 anchored by Sacramento's husband/wife team Dave Walker and Lois Hart

This is also a sad reminder of what we have lost when CNN decided to follow Fox News and go the talk-radio-on-TV route.

• Like 3

Vintage CBS Evening News and WBBM newscast from 1986. CBS Evening News anchored by Forrest Sawyer. Most of the time slot of the newscast was taken up by The Masters. WBBM newscast with Robin Robinson, Brian Rooney, Susan Wallace, John Coughlin, and Howard Sudberry.

This is a personal rip from a tape I found at a yard sale this past weekend.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

The same channel this copy of the first CNN newscast originated from also has rare rehearsal footage of the first 24 hour newscasts w/Walker and Hart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJU7VIfrhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3tIXoGGgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ULpPZH6EA

Also, ABC News Nightline w/Ted Koppel previews the then-soon to launch CNN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNDC1_qf8s

Edited by Chris Hadley
  • Like 3

Mostly a generic commercial compilation from a July 1987 airing of an adaptation of "Anna Karenina"; but a rarity around the 6:30 mark with a CBS News promo using the theme that would, that November, become the CBS Evening News theme for Dan Rather from 1987-91 and again for Scott Pelley for all but the last year of his tenure at the anchor desk. 

• Like 4

On 7/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, capsgm2002 said:

Late-70's video from West Palm Beach:

“News People” is one of my favorite news themes. Here’s an instrumental cut from the package as used by WIS-TV in their morning sign-on from 1980:

Edited by Jared DiCarlo
  • Like 2

As I'd "threatened" in the non-news Classic Video thread, I've been in the process of pulling clips from tapes in the past few days and will continue to do so for the near term. Not a ton of news-related content to date, but I do have a couple of things to share from KTRK. 

The tease and intro to Live at Five, circa November 1989 at the tail end of the Bob Boudreaux-anchored era. He moved to weekends several months after this was recorded. The open had been updated several months prior to include Joe Diaz while Ed Brandon was in rehab, and this was an exceptionally brief period where the closed-captioning logo appeared before the station ID in the open.

And just about a year prior (October 1988) there's this...

A group of elementary school students, primarily from East and Southeast Houston, form the Challenger Children's Choir and sing the revamped Frank Gari image campaign that aired on the station at the time - "Houston's Coming Back". My previous channel had a :30 version featuring the anchors, and I had seen another 1:00 version uploaded in the past (perhaps by @compubit?) featuring clips from the Space Shuttle Discovery "Return to Flight" launch that occurred in September 1988. I've found the original version on one of my tapes from early that month that tends to fit the lyrics better and will post it when I get a chance.

• Like 4

Speaking of KPNX/KTAR, I don't think this 1970 promotional film featuring weatherman Frank Peddie has been ever posted in this thread; it provides a few interesting behind-the-scenes glimpses of the station half a century ago:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 4

KGO 7/25/1990

No talent in the open - Pete Wilson had recently departed for KRON. Not long after this they changed the graphics / logo to something in-house (instead of the Welch / Cap Cities style) and wouldnt' use a talent open for another couple years.

And here's the pre-show bumper

Edited by sfomspphl

14 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

In the memory and in tribute to WSVN/WHDH Owner, Ed Ansin. RIP and Godspeed.

Not gonna speculate in this thread, but I think that’s gonna hurt both 7’s. Ansin was a god when it came to tabloid television.

43 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

In the memory and in tribute to WSVN/WHDH Owner, Ed Ansin. RIP and Godspeed.

Let's not forget...

And how sidney and ed got their start.

Speaking as a south Floridian, thank you for all the years you help create, envision and pioneered WSVN and WHDH into what it truly means by definition. THE NEWS STATION.

Rest in peace, Mr. Ansin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1