Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WKFT (Fayetteville, NC) commercials from 1992 including this WKFT Newsbrief anchored by Joyce Ohajah, who would end up as a presenter for ITV in the UK.

WKFT ended its news department in 1989, but began hourly news updates like this one in 1991 using the same news theme from the former newscast.

• Like 1

From 1-15-1974, here is an ABC Evening News broadcast At 28:43, you get to see something rare: An ID jingle for WNGE along with the "Dateline Today: 5:30 Report" intro. And at 29:21, you get to see a short portion of a report done by future WAGA news anchor Jacque Maddox. You can go to https://www.rhsalum.org/alumni/jacque-maddox/ for a short bio on Jacque.

Also....here is an entire New Jersey Nightly News broadcast from 1978 featuring former Los Angeles and Tulsa news anchor Clayton Vaughn.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

We got a 1986 WLNE news open (skip to 11:34)

And a 1996 WBIR open (skip to 8:46)

And another WBIR open from the same year (skip to 7:04)

And we got a KNBC news open from 1986 (skip to 7:18)

Edited by Yankees4life

1 hour ago, TheOneManHerd said:

Clayton Vaughn in New Jersey?!?!

Yup!

New Jersey Nightly News had just begun airing that May, and Vaughn left KOTV to help start it. He decided to return to KOTV in September 1979, stating, "I have not assimilated well with this part of the country. I just miss Oklahoma and the Southwest. People tend to be friendlier and more open there."

• Like 1

WIS Channel 10 (NBC Columbia, SC): The 7:00 Report, for Tuesday, Dec. 27, 1994 (WIS did a 7 P.M. edition back in the day, but I'm not sure if they still do that there; I know that WSPA here in my hometown does 7 News at 7, and IIRC, WCIV [ABC in Charleston, SC] does ABC News 4 at 7)

• Like 2

The World Premiere of NBC NIGHTLY NEWS from August 3, 1970. When Chet Huntley left, and John Chancellor took his place, David Brinkley stuck around. Along with the retirement of Huntley came (a) the end of the Huntley/Brinkley Report and (b) the name change to what is now NBC Nightly News. Many anchors have come and gone: Roger Mudd, Tom Brokaw, Brian Williams, and now, Lester Holt at the helm as the first African-American sole anchor of a network evening newscast. The NBC Nightly News name is still going strong 50 YEARS LATER. Hey, there should be an anniversary this year.

Edited by newsteam13

6 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

WIS Channel 10 (NBC Columbia, SC): The 7:00 Report, for Tuesday, Dec. 27, 1994 (WIS did a 7 P.M. edition back in the day, but I'm not sure if they still do that there; I know that WSPA here in my hometown does 7 News at 7, and IIRC, WCIV [ABC in Charleston, SC] does ABC News 4 at 7)

3 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

WIS News 10 still broadcasts its 7:00pm newscasts.

Yep. Since the days of the Huntley-Brinkley Report... 1963.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Samantha said:

WIS didn't have a 6:00 newscast until the Gulf War, I believe, when they started "6:00 Carolina".

That's right-- just looked at the Wikipedia entry for WIS, and the 7 P.M. edition that started to follow The Huntley-Brinkley Report was the de facto evening edition until 1991 (before that, it was once at 6 P.M., then moved to 7 P.M.).

1 hour ago, Samantha said:

WIS didn't have a 6:00 newscast until the Gulf War, I believe, when they started "6:00 Carolina".

Can't say I've heard this exact cut of Tuesday WWL before:

I believe this is the package NMSA calls "WWL-TV News" by Jim Kirk that debuted on WWL in 1984 and KATC in 1985. Heavily based on the Tuesday package. Though, I haven't had coffee yet today, and my ears could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Samantha said:

Can't say I've heard this exact cut of Tuesday WWL before:

Not unusual for anyone  who watched WISN/Milwaukee when they used this package...  They used the cut used in this open as their newscast close.

We got a 1988 KXLY news open (jump to 51:50)

An open from the same station the year after (jump to 12:26)

A 1999 WCAU news open (jump to 30:34)

And a 1988 KREM news open (jump to 22:24)

A 1987 KTLA news open (jump to 29:26)

A 1993 KOMO news open (skip to 11:11)

Edited by Yankees4life

7 minutes ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

From 12-25-1978, here is an entire broadcast of the CBS Evening News. Be sure you watch at 28:47, because you get to see a WTVF news open using an unknown theme.

The open seems to have inspired TVQ-10 in Brisbane, Australia (back when they were on Channel 0) to make GFX of a background behind their "Eyewitness News" lettering back in the early 80s

Edited by ChocoMingo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

From 12-25-1978, here is an entire broadcast of the CBS Evening News. Be sure you watch at 28:47, because you get to see a WTVF news open using an unknown theme.

Dave Kaylor pre-his days in the ‘Bus.

• Like 1