Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

16 hours ago, Samantha said:

Somehow I'd never seen that. I doubt the '85 date, but yes, that's it. Matches with the fact that WOKR began using Hello x Great News cuts in 1987 too.

It came around the time WXIA launched the Great News package (you picked up on the signature there) - so 85 or 86 

After a few clips being posted over the years...finally, a full episode of CBS’ 30 Minutes (the Saturday morning spinoff of 60 Minutes which a few of us may remember) from March 21, 1981:

Edited by johnnya2k6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

KIVI 1985 News snippet/Blooper

I just found out the theme they used was "Jettison", a production music piece done by John Scott of KPM Music. The ABC Evening News used the theme as their close during the mid to late 1970s.

• Like 2

An incomplete KTVO-TV, Ch. 3, Late Newscast from April 4, 1993.

A very rare incomplete newscast from KTMJ-LP Ch. 6 in Junction City, KS, circa 2000. This was when KTMJ-LP had their own inhouse news department & before they transplanted the KTMJ-LP callsign to their Ch. 43 translator in Topeka, KS (In 2001.) & moved their operations to Topeka, KS (In 2004.).

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

WNAC news, 1980:

Why am I posting this? Because today marks 40 years since the April Fools prank where they reported that the Great Blue Hill ski resort was erupting.

I really hope that somebody out there saved footage of that prank. But hey, if the BBC was able to save their “spaghetti trees” footage, then I’m sure the Great Blue Hill thing is around somewhere.

Anyway, back on topic, the user known as “btm0815ma” has been uploading some

great stuff lately. One of which being this newscast where Dan Rather talks about a recent incident where he was assaulted on the street by a crazy person. Although not mentioned here, the perpetrator allegedly said to him, “Kenneth, what is the frequency?”, which later inspired the name of a popular R.E.M. song.

Speaking of Dan Rather, here’s one of the newscasts that led to his downfall as CBS’s lead anchor, in which he shared fabricated documents about George W. Bush’s army career.

Edited by Jared DiCarlo
  • Like 3

An almost complete KAAL 6pm newscast from September 25, 1987, which then leads into live coverage of high school football, it's small town network affiliate TV at it's best!

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 4

Two episodes of a rare and short lived NBC daytime magazine show REALlife from 1996. The reason I'm posting this onto here is because it was taped at the studios of WHDH. Joel Cheatwood was also executive producer.

Could anymore enlighten me more on this show? I know it aired on only a few smaller stations and the O&Os.

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Two episodes of a rare and short lived NBC daytime magazine show REALlife from 1996. The reason I'm posting this onto here is because it was taped at the studios of WHDH. Joel Cheatwood was also executive producer.

Could anymore enlighten me more on this show? I know it aired on only a few smaller stations and the O&Os.

From what I was able to find out about it, Real Life apparently was cleared on 147 NBC stations (at least, initially) when it debuted in March 1996. (It was one of many failed talk show attempts that NBC tried during the first half of the 1990s, including among others, One on One with John Tesh, the Faith Daniels-hosted A Closer Look and an eponymous program hosted by Night Court star Marsha Warfield.)

It effectively was a replacement for another failed talk show, The Other Side (an Unsolved Mysteries-esque series focusing on paranormal phenomena) which following its cancellation in late 1995 was temporarily replaced by a secondary run of Leeza Gibbons’ daytime talker, Leeza (the only reasonably successful talk show NBC aired during that period, before it was sent off into syndication in 1999, when NBC dropped it, NBC News at Sunrise [subsequently replaced by Early Today] and long-running soap Another World [which was replaced by Passions, even though Sunset Beach had even lower ratings than AW, which was in ninth place vs. Sunset’s 11th/last-place showing among the daytime soaps at the time] from its schedule). Along with in-studio segments from Boston, the show also featured reports filed by correspondents based in New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto, Miami and Philadelphia.

Persistently low ratings led NBC to cancel Real Life in the fall of 1996, and hosts Lu Hanessian and Ken Taylor (who both had NBC connections prior to its premiere; Taylor as co-anchor of the weekend editions of WNBC’s Today in New York, Hanessian as host of the talk show Have a Heart on MSNBC predecessor America’s Talking) left prior to the end of its run; the show was replaced by the Aaron Spelling-produced soap Sunset Beach in January 1997.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3

Y'all want some more...Canadian news? Well, there's a lot of it in this video, which includes opens and partial shows from CBC, CTV and Global News in Saskatoon. At 1:05:00 is the Global open using Total News, which appears to actually be February 1999 (the NMSA doesn't have a sample for CFSK):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1