Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I broke up an 8-hour tape I had made of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster from 2/1/2003 into four parts. It features coverage from a few of the networks and some of the Houston stations as well. As the clips go on it becomes more KTRK dominated. I have more tapes from this day since I recall running a couple of VCRs at the same time.

Edited by NewsStar2
  • Like 2

Then NBC affilate KCBJ-TV (Now ABC affilate KMIZ-TV.) Ch. 17, Columbia, MO from October, 8, 1982 (Early on in their short stint with NBC, 2 months after flipping from ABC.), courtesy of Michael Pannoni.

He has some other recordings from this TV station, but this is the earliest recording of Ch. 17 in Columbia, MO that I could find.

Edited by Route66Fan
  • Like 1

Newscast open from then ABC affilate KDEB-TV Ch. 27 (Now MyNetwork TV affilate KOZL-TV.), during their final months of being an ABC affilate, before going independent & closing their news department, in 1986.

Edited by Route66Fan
  • Like 2

More goodies from btm0815ma uploaded today, mostly miscellaneous intros (first Harry Reasoner and Barbara Walters ABC intro; first and last intros for NBC with Tom Brokaw and Roger Mudd anchoring, first intro for  ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings as solo anchor and a series of intros from set and theme changes); but also includes the full newscasts with the last CBS Evening News cold intro, first theme intro, the newscast with Dan Rather going AWOL because a U.S. Open tennis match ran a couple of minutes long and the NBC Nightly News broadcast introducing The Mission)

Edited by WAVY 10 Fan
Added links to full newscasts
  • Like 3

Latest batch of uploads from btm0815ma including the first and last ABC newscasts anchored by Harry Reasoner (and with the latter, final newscast before the ABC Evening News branding was retired in favor of the World News Tonight name)

13 hours ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

(and with the latter, final newscast before the ABC Evening News branding was retired in favor of the World News Tonight name)

Barbara Matusow describes that transitional format in her book The Evening Stars: The Making of the Network News Anchor (1983):

"[Arledge's] most immediate problem was what to do the incompatible team of Barbara Walters and Harry Reasoner. Arledge's initial move was to buy time by making format changes designed to minimize their impact on the Evening News while he was working on a replacement formula. "Two-shots" were eliminated, meaning that Walters and Reasoner were not shown together on the screen, and something called a "whip-around" was introduced -- correspondents handing off their reports directly to each other instead of going back to the anchor for introductions. Subanchors began to appear: Frank Reynolds was featured prominently in Washington, as was Peter Jennings from various European capitals."

(In this case, Barbara Walters was off and Sam Donaldson served as the Washington subanchor. When WNT premiered, of course, it was permanently anchored by Reynolds in Washington, Max Robinson in Chicago, and Jennings in London. It's also interesting to note that the distinctive red corner stripe was introduced before WNT was launched.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

It looks like btm0815ma just hit the jackpot when it comes to rare stuff. You can watch the CBS Evening News broadcast from 6-24-1974 which includes at 29:11 a news open for WLAC-TV from that date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEoHP54SNZU

That WLAC open is awesome. Makes me sad to think how much cool local TV goodness has been lost to the ages. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 7:25 PM, hmaxhanson said:

Can't say I've heard this version of the Hello promo anywhere else before......

It's a new one for all of us. When I showed it to @ChesapeakeTV she pointed out that the notes for "We'll take our time, we'll take you there" sound a lot like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJy909h6_YY