Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

7 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

More from btm0815ma: the full broadcasts of Sunday Morning for Dec. 6, 1981 and Dec. 2, 1984 (for which only the openings existed before; now we can see the full broadcasts of each, commercials and all)

And for comparison, here's a Tuesday edition of CBS News Morning from the time when the franchise was a six-days-a-week operation:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

One of the best things about Sunday Morning in the '80s: the thoughtful, literate, sometimes almost poetic media commentaries by Ron Powers. Here's one from 1987 about the televised suicide of Budd Dwyer:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

And for comparison, here's a Tuesday edition of CBS News Morning from the time when the franchise was a six-days-a-week operation:

That was also after the title of the daily show lost the day-of-the-week modifiers that it had under Schieffer, and started simply to be called Morning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nicksair said:

In the latest series of AirchiveSloan's collection... Did anyone ask for a nice, clean, clear, long cut of Gari's On Your Side from KTTV in 1988??

Here you go!!

Small bonus seeing one Mike Darnell as the station's tape librarian there. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nicksair said:

In the latest series of AirchiveSloan's collection... Did anyone ask for a nice, clean, clear, long cut of Gari's On Your Side from KTTV in 1988??

Here you go!!

Just got done editing the full 1 minute version of said close from various sources. Here it is, for your listening pleasure.

Please feel free to move this to the News Music/Voiceovers board if needed...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x8unlaIbSXRxcEs7waUVUqsJietgJetw

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

Airchive on a roll...KNBC 6pm 1988 - at the end a nice hit of the jazzy sax 1985 close.

By this newscast the 1985 bumpers had been retired for a synth version of NewsCenter II 

AirchiveSloan is a legend! So is the KNBC jazzy close. Those bumper cuts are legendary as well. Awesome work here! This made my day. The 4pm and 5pm news is also on his site as well. Love how "anchor heavy" LA was at the time. Different teams for all shows....John/Linda 4pm, Colleen (still there at 5pm) and Jess at 5, Keith/Kelly at 6pm and Keith/Kelly at 11pm. The good ol days.

Edited by FiveNews
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, FiveNews said:

AirchiveSloan is a legend! So is the KNBC jazzy close. Those bumper cuts are legendary as well. Awesome work here! This made my day. The 4pm and 5pm news is also on his site as well. Love how "anchor heavy" LA was at the time. Different teams for all shows....John/Linda 4pm, Colleen (still there at 5pm) and Jess at 5, Keith/Kelly at 6pm and Keith/Kelly at 11pm. The good ol days.

That they were on KNBC in the City of Angels then-- that said, here's a late edition from 10/14/88 where John Beard is in with Kelly (Keith must have been off for some reason):

And the morning edition (Today in L.A.) from 10/13/88 (headline is the Dodgers' defeat of the Mets to advance to that legendary 1988 World Series [legendary owing to what would eventually be Kirk Gibson's famous 2-run homer off Dennis Eckersley]):

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 8:04 PM, Chris Hadley said:

Just got done editing the full 1 minute version of said close from various sources. Here it is, for your listening pleasure.

Please feel free to move this to the News Music/Voiceovers board if needed...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x8unlaIbSXRxcEs7waUVUqsJietgJetw

And Chris, here is my version of the KTTV close using your file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10XmGrWAsO_wy0nfJMoBe3ys1EcXojZ_1/

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
I uploaded an updated version of the audio file on Google Drive.
  • Like 3

A few clips of KPRC, circa June 1980 - thanks to 'John Dorsey' on vimeo focusing on the Urban Cowboy craze and the premiere of the movie in Houston.

Part of the 6 PM newscast covering the premiere - anchored by George Sells, several years before his long run began at WAFB in Baton Rouge. +1 for having KRIV's news van drive into the background and come to an abrupt stop in the final moments of Dan O'Rourke's live shot. Bonus for his review and/or take down of the film itself.

A piece from Gilley's in Pasadena, covering the premiere of the movie featuring a package from Dan O'Rourke, whose work ultimately won him accolades over the decade-plus he was with the station. I've always been a fan of his work, and his writing style - including this assessment of the event. The complete version of the package seen in this clip appears in the one below.

A bit of the 5 PM program the following day, during the time the "Scene at 5" had become "Ron Stone at 5". Something about the show's open having it's anchor shown being lifted by Andre the Giant and it's weatherman being pecked by a chicken (Wilma the weather chicken, to be specific) in a well-known clip, just makes sense in my opinion.

Edited by NewsStar2
  • Like 1

From one of Michael Pannoni's channels, one of the last USA Tonight (nee Independent Network News) broadcasts from March 29, 1990 (recorded from WGN)

Also, tried posting this last night but don't see it here; here's an extended 11:00 WAVY newscast covering Hurricane Gloria in 1985

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 10:00 PM, NewsStar2 said:

A bit of the 5 PM program the following day, during the time the "Scene at 5" had become "Ron Stone at 5". Something about the show's open having it's anchor shown being lifted by Andre the Giant and it's weatherman being pecked by a chicken (Wilma the weather chicken, to be specific) in a well-known clip, just makes sense in my opinion.

Another "Ron Stone at 5" opening from 7/24/1980 with Dan O'Rourke filling in for Stone:

Edited by nbc9houston
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Looks like Keloland started using First News before they changed to their current logo:

Lines up with what I found in newspaper clippings. My guess is that the 9/11/89 changes are when the theme debuted.

1989-1990 is a very interesting TV season for KELO because it was very clearly in the middle of a months-long modernization program.

In August 1989, KELO was still "The Big News" with the midcentury "kelo•land tv" lettering, which as far as I can tell debuted in 1964:

The first clipping I could find with the new KELO logo was in February 1990, though the title of "The Big News" hung around. This version looks a bit off model, too, with a more "organic" brush stroke.

image.png.93715b31320567b2a1b22fecd9cc9df9.png

By May, the news title was starting to transition out (and also the logo script looks right):

image.thumb.png.717edd48fa94e48e39698eb90fd42d20.png

By October—apparently having been instituted for the new TV season—it was "KELO-Land News" at all times. In the Rapid City Journal, the title "Big News" last appeared in listings for KPLO on September 8, 1990, with "KELO-Land News" at 10 beginning Monday, September 9.

image.png

• Like 3