Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

KNBC L.A.: 4/17/84 News 4 LA Nightside full late edition, w/Tritia Toyota, John Beard, Stu Nahan on sports, and Kevin O'Connell w/the weather (this came a while after Kevin's NBC game show Go was cancelled, and before he went back home to Buffalo [he's originally from there] to become the weatherman on WGRZ Channel 2 [NBC station of Buffalo]); also has opening of The Tonight Show w/the late Joan Rivers as guest host

• Like 2

Here is a broadcast of the CBS Evening News from New Year's Day 1982. At the end is part of a WTVF news open using TuesdayC by Tuesday Productions.

Video comes from BTM0815MA who has uploaded a number of great CBS News broadcasts.

Also, here is a CBS Evening News broadcast from 2/1/1982 that includes a full WTVF news open at the end using the "NewsCenter Theme" by Michael Randall.

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WWUpdate said:

From 2002, the 5 p.m. news from WBBM; this was at the beginning of the station's short-lived CBS2 Works for You era, before the (also short-lived) new set was introduced:

And, from several months later, here's an edition of the midday news with the aforementioned new set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5f4uZ1lEQg

And here's a spot from the promo campaign that launched the CBS2 Works For You era:

• Like 3

KNBC L.A.: full 11 P.M. Channel 4 News Nightside late edition from Dec. 10, 1987 (Keith Morrison [still w/NBC News, last I recall], Kelly Lange, Fritz Coleman w/weather, Fred Roggin on sports, the late Jess Marlow w/a Cover Story, and David Sheehan, entertainment [Fritz and Fred are still on the evening edition on NBC4 today alongside Chuck and Colleen, IIRC; also includes short promo for Metro Traffic on Today in L.A. morning edition, mornings at 6:30)

• Like 4

Very interesting to see what WFAA's competition was airing in the late '70s. I'm sure KDFW thought they scored big when Chip Moody make the leap from KXAS. That guy was incredible. 

4 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

KWWL from 1983, featuring one of the earliest Jeff Ellingson VOs and a theme I’ve heard but I don’t know where.

I know where...it's the WEVU theme. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

I know where...it's the WEVU theme. 

There was another station that used the WEVU 1984 News Theme: WBKO in Bowling Green, Kentucky. They used that theme in the mid 1980s. I know this, because I saw a montage on WBKO's website when the station celebrated their anniversary just a few years ago. In fact, I saw a rare "13 News" open from the late 1970s along with WBKO's "NewsCenter 13" open using the WEVU theme.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Another Action News used the same campaign to promote its anchors: here's a small portion of a WTNH promo from the 1980s mocking Janet Peckinpaugh's last name.

• Like 1

In May 1989, Dan Rather and the CBS News team arrived in China to cover the summit meeting between Communist Party leaders and Soviet premier Mikhail Gorbachev - a meeting that played against the backdrop of historic pro-democracy protests in Tiananmen Square. The full week of CBS Evening News reports from Beijing comes courtesy of btm0815bma. 

Monday, May 15th:

Tuesday, May 16th:

Wednesday, May 17th:

Thursday, May 18th:

Friday, May 19th (a few hours prior to when CBS and other outside media were forced to cease communication by the Chinese government as the crackdown on the student protestors intensified during government-imposed martial law): 

• Like 2

Just within the past several days, BTM0815MA has uploaded some of the best videos on YouTube. In fact, it is a channel that I visit everyday. I want to share this video with all of you from that user.

Be sure you watch at 29:05, because you are in for a treat. At 29:05, you get to see the entire WTVF evening news intro from 1980 using TuesdayC by Tuesday Productions. 

• Like 2