Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 1/24/2018 at 10:49 PM, WWUpdate said:

WLS, Chicago; 10 p.m. (excerpts, including the close), 1971 -- a rare clip from the Flynn-Daly (Eyewitness) News-branded era:

I just noticed that NMSA has WLS adopting Cool Hand Luke in 1969. Is that a mistake, or did WLS use Cool Hand Luke and From Russia With Love (heard in the clip above) simultaneously on different newscasts? Or  -- this is the third possibility -- is the clip above not from 1971?

20 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

I just noticed that NMSA has WLS adopting Cool Hand Luke in 1969. Is that a mistake, or did WLS use Cool Hand Luke and From Russia With Love (heard in the clip above) simultaneously on different newscasts? Or  -- this is the third possibility -- is the clip above not from 1971?

FuzzyMemories doesn't mess up dates. That said, this documentary from 1968 (still WBKB) uses FRWL, so I'd guess that's what they used going back to at least the launch of the Flynn-Daly EWN branding. When they adopted/went all-in on CHL is anyone's guess, as there's a big hole in WLS opens from 1971-76 (Video link only available/public for this month)

https://museum.tv/PP_ONLINE/TV_00146.mp4

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 24994J said:

FuzzyMemories doesn't mess up dates. That said, this documentary from 1968 (still WBKB) uses FRWL, so I'd guess that's what they used going back to at least the launch of the Flynn-Daly EWN branding. When they adopted/went all-in on CHL is anyone's guess, as there's a big hole in WLS opens from 1971-76 (Video link only available/public for this month)

https://museum.tv/PP_ONLINE/TV_00146.mp4

Wow, what a great find! Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1

At this point, it might be less time-consuming to come up with a list of markets where Udell hasn't worked! ;)

He didn't stay long at any particular station, did he?

Here he is during his second stint in Chicago:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

At this point, it might be less time-consuming to come up with a list of markets where Udell hasn't worked! ;)

He didn't stay long at any particular station, did he?

Here he is during his second stint in Chicago:

I was going to say that was peak Udell market wise then looked online and saw he did stints in LA and NY early on. 

He figured out settling down in Hawaii though...long long run there. Looking good in retirement here

• Like 2

We've seen this before, but this is how Udell was introduced to WTHR in Indianapolis back in 1976; the promos were either done by Joe Sedelmaier (of WLS and Wendy's "Where's the beef?" fame) or by someone closely imitating his style:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They might have both been ABC affiliates in Missouri, but the 2 NewsTeam != NewsTeam 2:

The guy who uploaded this also put up an hour of his own work, including rare looks at KBCI and KCRG in the late 70s/early 80s. One open at 5:57.

What's appalling? That open was new in January 1984 which is when the story is from — the station had just changed logos and the open looks like it's 1980 or 1979. (NewsCenter II as a theme is one clue this is laaaate.)

• Like 1

I recently came across a rare newscast from KXII-TV 12 featuring anchorman John Hurt, dated 1980.

Here is another rare news clip from Texas. This time, we take you to KGBT-TV for a news open from 1983-84.

And here is a weekend news open from KGBT from 1984.

And another KGBT open from the early 1980s using the WAVY news theme from Tuesday.

And...a news open using the NBC TV-Radio Telepulse theme.

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
Added more rare KGBT opens from Facebook.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I recently came across a rare newscast from KXII-TV 12 featuring anchorman John Hurt, dated 1980.

Here is another rare news clip from Texas. This time, we take you to KGBT-TV for a news open from 1983-84.

And here is a weekend news open from KGBT from 1984.

And another KGBT open from the early 1980s using the WAVY news theme from Tuesday.

And...a news open using the NBC TV-Radio Telepulse theme.

Wow lots of Texas TV legends here. Ron Oliveira, Gloria Campos, Jeff Eliasoph....

Also how is that the WAVY News Theme? It sounds Tuesday but I don’t think I’ve heard that cut before.

• Like 1

From Chicago, a short WFLD news promo from that brief period in 1987 when the station aired news at 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. (an unusual time slot for a Central Time station!), but not at 9 p.m.:

By the way, the first "32" logo seen above -- from "Latenight 32" -- was the station's pre-Fox logo.

And here are the first seven minutes of a WFLD newscast from the following year:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2