Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

You've just rebranded your station. It's an expensive rebrand, too: new logo, new set, new anchors, new call letters. But your "Recorded Earlier" late news repeat open...hasn't changed in about two years.

With that important comment, I present to you...KNSD in October 1988:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Samantha said:

You've just rebranded your station. It's an expensive rebrand, too: new logo, new set, new anchors, new call letters. But your "Recorded Earlier" late news repeat open...hasn't changed in about two years.

I wonder why they had a special open for the rebroadcast, rather than just slapping a "Recorded Earlier" tag on the screen like most other stations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PBC5NewsUnova said:

For those that wanted to see the news open of WGBO Noticias 66 with the original 1996-2001 look instead of the secondary one, then here ya go!

WCIU Informacion 26 news clip from the 1990s

Great find! I believe this is only the second news clip we've ever seen of WCIU from back when the Chicago independent (now a CW affiliate) was a multilingual station and a part-time Univision affiliate. The other one is this 1989 weather forecast and close:

a

• Like 1

The weather right now in Chicago is miserable with rain about to turn to ice and snow. Similar icing conditions on today's date a quarter century ago caused an American Eagle plane to crash on its approach to O'Hare. Here are some WBBM opens from that day (as well as from November 2):

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 1:21 AM, Ntropolis said:

My big find this weekend! FINALLY, a WBTW news open from the 80s.

Gotta love the font WBTW used for the weather. Small town. And it seemed like nearly every small or medium market CBS affiliate in the late 80s used the CBS Evening News font at the time. 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:21 AM, Ntropolis said:

My big find this weekend! FINALLY, a WBTW news open from the 80s.

And even being only two channels over from ABC (WPDE), the difference in 13 and 15’s ratings was stark. Didn’t hurt that WBTW had over a quarter century head start on WPDE.

Edited by sctvhound

1 hour ago, sctvhound said:

Gotta love the font WBTW used for the weather. Small town. And it seemed like nearly every small or medium market CBS affiliate in the late 80s used the CBS Evening News font at the time. 

And even being only two channels over from ABC (WPDE), the difference in 13 and 15’s ratings was stark. Didn’t hurt that WBTW had over a quarter century head start on WPDE.

Even today, WBTW still destroys WMBF and WPDE?

1 hour ago, Info Junkie said:

Getting some Vance-y vibes from KJRH’s late 90s graphics:

Even more interesting on that KJRH tape - there's a cut of Finale used in one of the weather promos.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sctvhound said:

One of the things I noticed about this is how smaller-market WBTW looked at the time. Robeson and Scotland counties (NC) hadn't been added to the DMA yet. They looked more Pee Dee-focused... Myrtle Beach was on the cusp of the explosion in growth it experienced in the 1990s, so it's no surprise there are only a couple Grand Strand shots in the open. I would've expected a golf course flyover in there, but Myrtle just wasn't quite there yet.

WLS 1990 preshow

Uses a bed that's a mixdown of the News Series 2000 main theme that eliminates the horns. Never heard other stations use the stripped down themes from that package - and have yet to come across clean versions of those mixdowns on anything discovered to date. Wonder if WLS was the only station sent those cues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

WLS 1990 preshow

Uses a bed that's a mixdown of the News Series 2000 main theme that eliminates the horns. Never heard other stations use the stripped down themes from that package - and have yet to come across clean versions of those mixdowns on anything discovered to date. Wonder if WLS was the only station sent those cues. 

Here's a longer version.. starting at 41:45. This may have been posted in here long ago, so apologies for that.

Edited by nicksair
  • Like 3

Being a fan of the classic video thread, I never thought I would see the day when...a rare KHQA newscast from 1987 would be unearthed. So, we take you back to October 1987 when KHQA brings to you the "Eyewitness News Update."

And here is WTAE's special titled "25 Years to Share" which features Gari's "NewsChannel" theme in the opening.

Here is an audio clip of a WRGB newscast from 1989.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:03 PM, TSSZNews said:

Even more interesting on that KJRH tape - there's a cut of Finale used in one of the weather promos.

The long-gone cable news channel Capital News 9 used that same cut for their weather reports. Jeez, it’s been years since I last heard that music.

13 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

!!! Some WTVK from its TVBD era!!!

Now this is unbelievable stuff. When I saw this post, I knew I had to check out the video for sure. I did see some WTVK promos featuring staffers Norman Hammitt, Jennifer Julian and Rick Russo promoting WTVK's move to CBS on September 10th, 1988. In the promos, you hear the Gari "Great News" package playing in the background which would be the news theme package WTVK used for its "NewsCenter" broadcasts. And when WTVK became WKXT (on channel 8), they would still use the package.

I will add one more thing: If someone uploads a WTVK newscast from its CBS days, it would make my day.