Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The Toyota Camry ad in there is voiced by Chris Clausen!

A bit curious, and I note some of the video in here is violent (in fact, KGMB anchor Dave Carlin justifies their decision to show it in the first clip!). Honolulu TV stations cover a circus accident involving an elephant in 1994.

Edited by Samantha
  • Sad 2

A somewhat KDFM news blooper open from 1980s.

KTSM Newscenter 9 1984

KNBC News4LA 1985

WESH Newscenter 2 1986

WTVM Action 9 News update 1987

WTVM Action 9 News up next 1987

WTVM Action 9 News promos 1987

KOKH Newstouch 25 breaks 1988

KTBS Channel 3 News 1993

1 hour ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

I see your Vintage WRBL newscast and I'll raise you a sleuth of KOTV news clips from 1989.

Just two years after Terry Hood joined the station and now about two weeks from her departure...coincidence? I THINK yeah, completely, but still. Simple observation.

Edited by okiechi
Accidentally a word
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2014 at 12:43 AM, WWUpdate said:

I've always felt that the "China Syndrome" (1979) was very accurate in its portrayal of local TV news. For example, take a look at the opening scene from the movie -- not too many movies have captured the stressful (and decidedly unglamorous) behind-the-scenes atmosphere of a control room this realistically:

By the way, the "KXLA" anchor in the above clip was played by real-life anchor Stan Bohrman. Here's an interesting KPIX feature about Bohrman from a year ago:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Info Junkie said:

How about liking WBRE instead of KGAN?

Seriously, this is once again — my longest video ever made, and also the longest update I’ve done to a news open video.

"Covering 19 counties in Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania … It's 5:30 … you're watching WBRE Eyewitness News."

God.  I love that open.  

-- Matt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

How about liking WBRE instead of KGAN?

Seriously, this is once again — my longest video ever made, and also the longest update I’ve done to a news open video.

that one & only open, i feel like i’ve seen that open before on another station. popular aesthetic for the time or was it syndicated?

also, semi offtopic but is it just me or do some of the older opens in this video seem high framerate? these upscaled in any way or is my phone just tricking my head? 

3 hours ago, newspulse said:

that one & only open, i feel like i’ve seen that open before on another station. popular aesthetic for the time or was it syndicated?

also, semi offtopic but is it just me or do some of the older opens in this video seem high framerate? these upscaled in any way or is my phone just tricking my head? 

Yes, it was a syndicated pack. It seems to have come from Dallas-based Electronic Graphics and Design (EGAD) who were a quite influential firm on which we don't have a lot of info.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jared DiCarlo said:

A rather interesting story from WRGB about a local school’s newscast. Not sure exactly when this aired, probably around late 90s?

I’d say early 1998. JoAnne Purtan left 6 to her current job at WXYZ later that year.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ntropolis said:

KJRH in June 1989 with "The Image Leader"

Wow, I wasn’t wrong, lol.

They changed the L3’s shortly after, as late as March 1990:

By May 1990, they ditched everything except Ed Hopkins in favor of “Channel 2 News.”

not much to say about this one and I know I'm at the tail end of the acceptable years for classic video but i'm just surprised that WCIA was using the old WBBM graphics in 2007. who else was usin these? also really vibin with the enforcer cut in this close.

we finally have nexstar endboards showin up in chicago and it'll always feel weird to me bc i associate seein those with being downstate, lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newspulse said:

not much to say about this one and I know I'm at the tail end of the acceptable years for classic video but i'm just surprised that WCIA was using the old WBBM graphics in 2007. who else was usin these? also really vibin with the enforcer cut in this close.

we finally have nexstar endboards showin up in chicago and it'll always feel weird to me bc i associate seein those with being downstate, lol.

WRGB also used these for a while.

• Like 1