Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That 'TKR format would have been a good match for a Fox affiliate starting up a news department, but I can see why the presentation didn't work so well for WTKR.

———

This CFTO clip from 1991 includes a snippet of them using something I never knew made it to Toronto: the early 90s CFQC/CKCK theme (an underrated jam IMO)! Was it only used for this 5:30 newscast?

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 2

WOFL FOX 35 9/11 Newscast

WTVJ 1979 Prelude to the Cocaine Cowboys.

KSTW 1991 10o'clock news

KNOE TV 8 News 1992

1992 Portland Newscasts Snippets

1995 O.J. Simpson Verdict rare FOX News Coverage. With a bit of Court TV material.

Edited by SoFloTVClassics

On 7/2/2019 at 10:54 PM, Info Junkie said:

Hard to believe the 1994-96 affiliation shuffles will be officially 25 years old on September 3rd. I feel incredibly old.

(I say this 3 days after graduating high school)

I'm only 26 and can do nothing but wish to have remembered and experienced the major swings of affiliates. As much as I'd like to see how crazy the general public would go watching a similar situation go down in present day, there's no more room for another broadcast network to pull a Fox-like move neither a major company looking to swallow up any of the Big 4. Not to mention, the last two major acquisitions that involved the Big 4 (Comcast buying NBCU; Disney getting 20th just this year) had little to no impact on station affiliation (thanks, streaming, cable, and satellite?)

I guess there's always the What-If threads of Speculatron to help me find those alternate timelines

The networks have seen to it that there are no more New World-esque shakeups. That Fox eventually bought New World outright - and still owns most of the outlets they inherited from them - helps with that.

1 hour ago, TheFizzle21 said:

As much as I'd like to see how crazy the general public would go watching a similar situation go down in present day...

It wouldn't be as big of a deal. However, there would probably a lot of confused baby boomers.

On the other hand, if you take The Office off of Netflix... oh wait...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

WAVY's 11pm newscast from Saturday, September 27, 2003. This tape is without a doubt one of my coolest finds - this newscast followed the three-hour special WAVY aired chronicling Hurricane Isabel. I plan to upload that eventually.

The last segment of the late night replay of a WTSP 11pm newscast from 1985, followed by the sign-off itself, read by longtime Tampa radio personality Roger P. Schulman:

FYI, I'm FB friends with the guy who gave the tape of this to @WFTV Channel 9!

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Thanks 1

A KETV update from July 10, 1981 - by this point Carol Schrader had assumed the lead anchor position and would continue to anchor until the “Newsplex” era in 1996.

EDIT: The full newscast! Includes a long open with the KVBC 1980 Theme. Interestingly, it takes cues from KSL’s open at the time, and the graphical animations of this open would be recycled when they used “Newsbeat”.

Edited by Info Junkie
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, hmaxhanson said:

The last segment of the late night replay of a WTSP 11pm newscast from 1985, followed by the sign-off itself, read by longtime Tampa radio personality Roger P. Schulman:

FYI, I'm FB friends with the guy who gave the tape of this to @WFTV Channel 9!

Does he have the full newscast?

• Like 1