Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 5/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

Wow, WCAU and WBBM were behind the times, weren't they? It seems weird that any major market Big Three station would have held out on airing a morning newscast through the early 1990s. Many started theirs as early as the late '70s, but most stations in the top-50 markets had expanded local news into the morning slot at some point during the '80s.

Even Charleston, not a top 100 market at the time, had all 3 stations running morning news from 1996 on. The CBS (WCSC) started theirs in the mid 1980s. NBC WCIV started in the early 90s, then WCBD was the last to start around 1995 or 1996.

1 hour ago, Info Junkie said:

A WNYT montage from 1986 revealing more of their set from the 1980s. This was the time period when Ed Dague solo-anchored the news and the station was in its stages trying to beat ratings king WRGB.

By the mentions of the miniseries "Peter the Great", this dates to early February 1986 (2nd-5th).

That set only had some more months left as it was replaced by the fall by the set that lasted until 1995. It was later that year when things really started to pick up steam, partially aided by some bad moves on WTEN's behalf that drove viewers up three channels.

• Like 1

And a similar compilation covering WBBM between 1990 and 2000 -- a period that saw the station undergoing constant changes, going from traditional, to WSVN-lite, to more traditional again (but with several different looks and approaches), and then ending the decade with Carol Marin's sophisticated 10 p.m. experiment:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

And a similar compilation covering WBBM between 1990 and 2000 -- a period that saw the station undergoing constant changes, going from traditional, to WSVN-lite, to more traditional again (but with several different looks and approaches), and then ending the decade with Carol Marin's sophisticated 10 p.m. experiment:

And to complete the Chicago trifecta...

No joke, there are some 90's clips in the WLS montage that I have on my own personal VHS tapes, and were prepared to post at some point in the future. What are the chances? 🤣

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

A snippet of "Live at 5" from WFLA in 1997 with Bob Hite and Gayle Sierens:

I noticed the WFLA GFX had similar vibes to WWMT’s 1996 pack. I believe both were VDO jobs?

Take a look at the L3 similarities:

8824401A-B8A9-4783-A3C1-2CD69C519B79.png

2ACD2114-C178-4057-A4AF-2DF0B5A80DAF.png

They also had that “camera lens” graphic as well that I associate with the 90s.

Edited by Info Junkie
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

I noticed the WFLA GFX had similar vibes to WWMT’s 1996 pack. I believe both were VDO jobs?

I read an article about Giant Octopus and the founder said she did the graphics for WFLA-her first job. I'm assuming this one. 

That skyline graphic behind Bob and Irene-never could figure out what was going on besides the skyline. Is that a mushroom cloud? LOL

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

I read an article about Giant Octopus and the founder said she did the graphics for WFLA-her first job. I'm assuming this one. 

That skyline graphic behind Bob and Irene-never could figure out what was going on besides the skyline. 

That explains a lot. Maybe WWMT was GO too?

Also @scrabbleship during that WNYT weekend news tease in that montage who is the sports guy in the on-set shot? He was definitely Roger Wyland’s predecessor.

Walter Cronkite says goodbye to NBC colleague Chet Huntley in July 1970. The video also includes Huntley's farewell message and the traditional sign-off from both Huntley and David Brinkley, followed by the credits with Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

That explains a lot. Maybe WWMT was GO too?

Also @scrabbleship during that WNYT weekend news tease in that montage who is the sports guy in the on-set shot? He was definitely Roger Wyland’s predecessor.

If memory serves me right, that's a young Gary Apple, now of SNY.  Wyland came to WNYT right as Apple left for KMOV right after Viacom took that station over from CBS.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:21 PM, Info Junkie said:

Phone call for NMSA - it’s confirmed KRDO used the WRAL 1982 Theme!

Here's another video taken from KRDO ABC13 in 1987. It's a commercial for Blick's Sporting Goods in Colorado Springs, and the music sounds awfully familiar

Cue the video below to the 2:16 mark. You'll hear the news theme that was used on these two stations

• WNAC Newsroom 7 Boston (now WHDH) for their Election 1980 coverage
  • WJET ABC24 in 1986 for their Action News

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

In a tough blow for enthusiasts like us, The Museum of Classic Chicago Television's (FuzzyMemories.TV) YouTube channel has been removed on copyright strikes. Their website is still active, but several of the pieces in their archives were YouTube-exclusive.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! That was one of the biggest video memorabilia channels on Youtube. This sucks.

• Sad 1