Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A curiosity from 1996: a KTVK "Fast Break" two-minute newscast from halftime of a KUTP Suns game! The music is original using the "Arizona's Family" musical signature.

The sponsor bump at the end is voiced by Steve Wood — very early work from him.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

While WLS preferred a straightforward, just-the-facts approach to its morning news in the early 1990s, WMAQ responded with a more wacky, informal newscast titled First Thing in the Morning, featuring the antics of Bob Sirott, a former WLS-AM disc jockey:

By the way, Bob Sirott's and his antics were not appreciated by WMAQ's management and he ended up being let go by the station in 1993. He moved to WFLD where he reinvented First Thing in the Morning as the equally off-beat Fox Thing in the Morning, but now with a co-anchor, Marianne Murciano, who played along with his jokes. (The would eventually get married.) Here's a clip -- including the open -- from 1999:

16 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

By the way, Bob Sirott's and his antics were not appreciated by WMAQ's management and he ended up being let go by the station in 1993. He moved to WFLD where he reinvented First Thing in the Morning as the equally off-beat Fox Thing in the Morning, but now with a co-anchor, Marianne Murciano, who played along with his jokes. (The would eventually get married.) Here's a clip -- including the open -- from 1999:

Meanwhile, in this weird, alternate universe, WGN Morning News was a calm, sophisticated hour of serious news.

And still, no one watched WBBM.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

Meanwhile, in this weird, alternate universe, WGN Morning News was a calm, sophisticated hour of serious news.

And still, no one watched WBBM.

Why? So they couldn’t hear Chapin yell the last names of the anchors?

Here’s a KENS intro from 1979:

And a WTVR open from the same channel:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Nah, I'm thinking more around this time, when they pulled a 180 image-wise. I don't recall when their morning news began.

That said, they weren't relevant in the morning realm until this pairing in the latter part of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2AE5n41N8

• Like 1

In 2007, WMAQ would once again experiment with an unconventional morning format: Barely Today at 4:30 a.m., anchored by former WFLD sportscaster Bruce Wolf. This is what the first broadcast looked like:

After a few months, the show was scrapped and the 5 a.m. news was expanded to start 30 minutes earlier. Interestingly, Barely Today used Newswire for its close, about a decade after WMAQ stopped using the legendary theme.

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Nah, I'm thinking more around this time, when they pulled a 180 image-wise. I don't recall when their morning news began.

That said, they weren't relevant in the morning realm until this pairing in the latter part of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2AE5n41N8

WBBM's morning newscast premiered on August 12, 1996. Before that, channel 2 used to air Rush Limbaugh at 6am, CBS Morning News at 6:30 and This Morning at 7. When the show began, Rush Limbaugh and CBS News were moved to 5 and 5:30 respectively, followed by the news at 6am and This Morning at 8.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-08-09-9608090214-story.html

Edited by onthesea
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, Info Junkie said:

Here’s a KENS intro from 1979:

And a WTVR open from the same channel:

In the video description, I noticed that for the WTVR news open they used WSLS' 1988 news therme. Considering the newscast was recorded back in 1986, it was used way before 1988. And, it may have a name according to YouTube user Channel 37. WTVR used a JDK Music package titled "Shenandoah" due to the fact that the Shenandoah Valley is in Rockingham County in Virginia.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

In the video description, I noticed that for the WTVR news open they used WSLS' 1988 news therme. Considering the newscast was recorded back in 1986, it was used way before 1988. And, it may have a name according to YouTube user Channel 37. WTVR used a JDK Music package titled "Shenandoah" due to the fact that the Shenandoah Valley is in Rockingham County in Virginia.

Let’s ring the Discovered Composers thread.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:38 PM, WWUpdate said:

Staying in Chicago, a complete 6 p.m. newscast from WLS, 1980:

Another 6 p.m. WLS newscast in its entirety, this time from 1998. We've seen the open before in this thread, but not the rest of the newscast (at least I don't think we have): 

A couple of news-related uploads from the archive I'm working on rebuilding...

A fairly short-lived news capsule offered by KTXH at the end of their evening movie, circa 1985

A news update and part of a sports update from KHTV from November 1988 - just after the music & graphics Gaylord had launched across it's stations was put in place. Can't say I'd heard the brief sports cut before, but it's definitely from that same package.

• Like 1

• KSBW 1993 open

Also has a 40th anniversary commercial at the beginning

They started using Brave New World around 1990 or 91, when they rolled out a new set and refreshed the purple TVBD 1987 era graphics 

The bones of this set stayed around for over 25 years 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

KCCI with the CBS Affiliate Package in 1994 — with John Lindsay VO:

This partial KATU newscast from 1997 includes a long close with the Scott Shelly Spirit of Texas update — the longest cut of this package I've ever heard!

• Like 1

For those that are fans of the RudeHoney graphics package used by Univision affiliates back around 2001-2006, I have a very special treat to show you! A graphics demo reel from 2000! Note some of the differences between the demo and final. Some of the opens are even blank! Please enjoy!

• Like 3

It really takes a fine tooth comb to find the differences, too: mostly text placement, at least two typos ("Patterson, NJ" and "Carrolton" in the Dallas open), and in the obvious case of WXTV, changes (eventually) for most of the imagery.