Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

NBC's Today Show's visit to Buenos Aires in February 1986 made headlines in the city. Here's a report from Franco Salomone (then with Canal 9's Nuevediario) where he interviews hosts Willard Scott, Jane Pauley and Bryant Gumbel.

I just realized that I didn't post it on the International section. Sorry about that.

Edited by onthesea

I'd wanted to see these for a while and they're all in this two-part report: all those old KESQ opens!

Some of those 80s logo lockups with the three-stripe logo seem like Canadian TV branding... (Also I'd switch WWL News and Primetime News based on the WWL News open style and the 1998 date for Primetime News in a close) It also looks to me like KESQ 1990 might have debuted closer to 1987.

KMIR's 50th anniversary special isn't the greatest, but it does have this snippet of an early-mid 80s news open:

Edited by Ramona
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 3:24 AM, Ramona said:

I'd wanted to see these for a while and they're all in this two-part report: all those old KESQ opens!

Hmmm, could the theme used in the late 80's/early 90's possibly be a newer/remix version of The News People?

19 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

Hmmm, could the theme used in the late 80's/early 90's possibly be a newer/remix version of The News People?

You would not be the first one to have the idea...

On 4/24/2018 at 11:28 AM, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Listening to the 1990 KESQ theme, it appears this may have been an attempt by Tuesday Productions to update their late 1970s "News People" theme (particularly the version used for the image campaign)

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1507 (KESQ 1990)

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,240 (WRAL 1979 image for comparison)

News People itself appears to have been written in late 1976? Given that KESQ might have started using this thing in late 1986 or 1987, it could have been written for News People's 10th anniversary.

19 hours ago, Ramona said:

They all just got off planes and they're all ready to give St. Louisans the news — a promo for KTVI's new news team in 1988:

And I can guess where they all came from - Iola from Dallas, Kevin from Cleveland (he was at WKYC in 1980), Stu from Detroit and Miles from New Orleans.

Hiring out-of-towners really didn’t do much for KTVI. Miles was gone a year later in favor of Dave Murray, who was previously at KSDK. And that move has paid off after 30 years. 

Edited by Info Junkie
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

And I can guess where they all came from - Iola from Dallas, Kevin from Cleveland (he was at WKYC in 1980), Stu from Detroit and Miles from New Orleans.

Hiring out-of-towers really didn’t do much for KTVI. Miles was gone a year later in favor of Dave Murray, who was previously at KSDK. And that move has paid off after 30 years. 

Cokely had been working for two years as the consumer reporter for the Gillett stations, based in DC. He was only 33 at the time!

Whoever consulted KTVI I think missed the mark with this promo, because it ended up accentuating that everyone wasn't from St. Louis. KDNL suffered through the same problem with its entirely out-of-market news lineup when they launched.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Hiring out-of-towners really didn’t do much for KTVI. Miles was gone a year later in favor of Dave Murray, who was previously at KSDK. And that move has paid off after 30 years. 

Dave Murray was at WBZ in Boston before returning to St. Louis. Here's a video from its first months at 'BZ in 1986.

A CFMT ID, movie intro, and promos from February 1987, using the "11 Gold" theme and graphics. Everytime I hear that ID on stations from back then I cant help but sing "_ Gold!":

Also on the video are some CHCH promos and a sign-off from that time.

• Like 2

https://archive.org/details/paymar_jimsdubmasteranchor

I accidentally posted these in the international thread due to my habit of clicking on the Classic Vid category tab without knowing what thread it is. Anyway these are a set of KRON opens I haven’t seen before. Sister station WOWT had a similar set, with a shot of their control room:

• Like 2

Cool - didn't realize WOWT was a sister station with KRON (just remembered KAKE). 

They kept that theme / open longer than KRON.

The theme lasted mid 87 - fall 89 at KRON, and the open just from mid 87 to fall of 88.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfomspphl said:

Cool - didn't realize WOWT was a sister station with KRON (just remembered KAKE). 

They kept that theme / open longer than KRON.

The theme lasted mid 87 - fall 89 at KRON, and the open just from mid 87 to fall of 88.

WOWT was a sister first, Chronicle bought them from Meredith in 1975. Chronicle didn't buy KAKE/KUPK until 1979, KLBY until 1987.

• Like 1