Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

This WLEX excerpt appears to not be late 83/early 84 but closer to late 85 or 86.

Two reasons why: WLEX had adopted an updated logo (ditching the plain Helvetica 18), and more monitors had been added to the news set. Compare with this 1/20/85 newscast:

• Like 2

Here's an update to my previous compilation for WFAA, edited and uploaded by Pancham's TVTalk (this is the first video uploaded on that channel in two years, with the nine others being opens from the Hampton Roads market); Pancham's version features additional opens that weren't available when I created the original version on my channel, including the current Tegna opens.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

Hello all, I have started uploading videos at a new YouTube site - Houston TV History. I only have a few clips up right now, but am looking to bring back some old favorites as well as some "new" classic content in the coming days and weeks. The first three are examples of the latter - stuff I haven't posted before. 

A rare editorial statement from KTRK's Dave Ward on crime from August 1991.

A promo for KRIV's 7 PM newscast from mid-1986, during the transition from Metromedia to Fox

And not news... (well, there's a quick spot for it prior to the open) but the intro to KRIV's late night movie showcase, "Nightwatch 26" from the same period.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NewsStar2 said:

Hello all, I have started uploading videos at a new YouTube site - Houston TV History. I only have a few clips up right now, but am looking to bring back some old favorites as well as some "new" classic content in the coming days and weeks. The first three are examples of the latter - stuff I haven't posted before. 

A promo for KRIV's 7 PM newscast from mid-1986, during the transition from Metromedia to Fox

And not news... (well, there's a quick spot for it prior to the open) but the intro to KRIV's late night movie showcase, "Nightwatch 26" from the same period.

Welcome back! You were gone for so long I had thought NBC threw you in jail after terminating the old account. I was about to make a whole thread begging you to return, but instead of on YT, as a website (ala FuzzyMemories and TCMediaNow).

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NewsStar2 said:

Watch out world, Houston’s coming BACK!

• Like 3

On 4/3/2019 at 1:58 PM, hmaxhanson said:

Welcome back! You were gone for so long I had thought NBC threw you in jail after terminating the old account. I was about to make a whole thread begging you to return, but instead of on YT, as a website (ala FuzzyMemories and TCMediaNow).

Thank you for the kind words. Thank you to everyone else who echoed similar sentiments as well!

The copyright concern debacle was an interesting one in that NBCU's person(s) chose a number of clips that ran the gamut of what I had uploaded. They included a few of the complete newscasts from Telemundo O&Os KTMD & KXTX to the sign-off of the low-powered WBGH in Binghamton, NY circa 2006 (Because of the peacock on the static image? I don't know...). The few attempts I made to get reversals on decisions regarding a couple of videos were rebuffed. I  also had a lot on my plate at the time on the personal and professional front and just let it go.  I still have pretty much everything that I uploaded on the original version anyway, so it's just a matter of time before some of it starts to return. 

As for a dedicated site - stay tuned for news on that front. Both of the sites you mention are great and an inspiration regarding what I would like to accomplish with the content I have down the line.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2018 at 3:55 PM, Spectrum27 said:

Also, some interesting studio history there-- it appears they started with a copy of WTTG's set from the era (with the white panels above and the logo in the center that was changed to Fox logos), then had a bizarre mostly-chroma-key setup before getting a hand-me-down set from WNYW (that set dated to 1988-89 and was originally blue-toned with a duratran logo area above the center monitor, before it was redone in 1991-92 with the yellow lit paneling and the brass-y coloring).

As much as I dislike necroposting (although is it really necroposting if it's an active thread and I just found this by happenstance while searching for something? Whatever...), I wanted to add a bit to this.

I think KRIV's original "set" as such for news updates was a fairly basic silhouette of the downtown skyline. This was before they started doing full newscasts in the mid 80s. I'm reasonably certain that at about the same time, Metromedia provided both stations similar sets, with some lighting tweaks and a different desk between the pair. There's not a substantial amount of either station's news coverage from that period out there, unfortunately. 

Was able to find this image circa February 1986 though.

M3AP7Sa.jpg

Came across a 1991 open on one of my "newer" old tapes, and it seemed to be a fairly wide set and desk - something I didn't really catch before. I will get around to uploading this clip at some point in the near future...

dYM8YWq.jpg

36XFzzX.jpg

The chroma-key set set was an interim fix that occurred in 1993-94, and even then the old desk (and parts of the maroon paneling on the farthest edges, for a time) was retained. The WNYW set went into use when Fox started airing NFL games in August of 1994. It survived until they moved to their current facility in 1997.

***Ahem, you may return to your previously scheduled classic video thread...

• Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, WWUpdate said:

To mark today's mayoral election in Chicago, let's turn back the clock 36 years to the 1983 vote, as seen on the 6 p.m. WLS news:

And I think that might have been an extended evening edition, owing to all the news of the mayoral election, among other things.

3 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

And I think that might have been an extended evening edition, owing to all the news of the mayoral election, among other things.

Nope, the 6pm show was an hour for most of its history, until Wheel of Fortune debuted at 6:30 several months later, but the anchor line-up was bring blown up by then, anyway.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Nope, the 6pm show was an hour for most of its history, until Wheel of Fortune debuted at 6:30 several months later, but the anchor line-up was bring blown up by then, anyway.

So the premiere of syndie WOF later in '83 saw the evening edition pared to the half-hour it is now? Interesting!

• Like 1

Did anyone know that WWL-TV used to do morning news at 5:00 a.m. IN 1989? I just now learned about this.

Also, Live with Regis and Kathie Lee was on at 8:00 a.m. after the Eyewitness Morning News. This, now, is making me think that WWL-TV aired three hours of morning news from 5:00-8:00 a.m. back in the day, which is kinda hard to believe.

• Like 2

KRON Midday preshow / open 2/1984

The set would be retired a few months later for a more barebones all blue 'make the talent pop' Frank Magid playbook call. 

The intro would go 3D about a year later.

Lloyd launched the early morning Daybreak newscast in 1986, then was let go in late 1992. He's retired in Pensacola, FL these days - hosted things on the PBS station there several years back.

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

KCRA 1985 noon preshow bumper

The great Mike Boyd and a young Sydnie Kohara (who went on to many years hosting the morning news for KGO and later KPIX)

Plus that instant classic authoritative Channel 3 Reports music bed 

• Like 2