Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

49 minutes ago, JacobC said:

If VHSGoodiesWA3 says “twofer of strikes” what does he refer to?

He got two out of three strikes.

For your consideration, I present WOI-TV's post Oscars newscast from March 23, 1998. They were at the time on a temporary set, a new one (along with the ABC affiiliates theme) would debut in exactly one week: 

A very short WDBJ clip from 1991:

Mostly, but not all, additional WGRZ material:

This Lansing news bit (I believe WILX but not sure) from 1979 is appropriate for this time of year:

This cable newscast in Hazleton, PA, from 1994 is a little curious oddity:

8 hours ago, MiamisHisTV said:

After a long hiatus YouTube search by date has been restored.

WMUR 80'S promo.

KXTV 1985 clips.

WUSA 1987 Eyewitness News

WGRZ 1988 News center 2

LOVE the KXTV 1986 Theme (really should be 1984) cut at the beginning of that KXTV close.

A curious look at KOAA’s news in 2001, almost three months before becoming “News First.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

LOVE the KXTV 1986 Theme (really should be 1984) cut at the beginning of that KXTV close.

A curious look at KOAA’s news in 2001, almost three months before becoming “News First.”

That was 5/30's final time using Eyewitness News before they changed their title to “News First” in time for the 2002 Winter Olympics (the NBC logo after 9/11)

It's been on YT for several months, but here I present for you an episode of WOI-TV's Five Country Closeup from January 8, 1980, which includes a slick early-CGI ID using The Best Things in Life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7srqi8itko

The ID was created by a Seattle-based firm called Alpha Cine (who also designed graphics for KOMO & KSTW):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwuOJ8zTg3g

And that's by no means all! In another video, I found the news open they had back then, which used a new cut of TBTIL that I've not heard before:
https://youtu.be/Q8tOk9Fto94?t=1829

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 1

And here's another episode of Five Country Closeup from September 1979, proving that the logo debuted that year (in case @Info Junkie wants to upload the ID by itself, and the maybe news open too):

Watch at the end for a commercial break that was from the previous recording!

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

And here's another episode of Five Country Closeup from September 1979, proving that the logo debuted that year (in case @Info Junkie wants to upload the ID by itself, and the maybe news open too):

Watch at the end for a commercial break that was from the previous recording!

Honestly I’m kinda mad at myself cause I went through those videos while I was making the WOI compilation - and didn’t even bother looking hard enough to find the 1980 open!

Also @Ntropolishas found an article on WTKR’s 1994 botched tabloid relaunch with the (possibility) unknown GFX company that I’ve been looking for identified!

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19940910-1994-09-10-9409100141-story.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Yo, nice find by Ntropolis there.

LoConte Goldman closed in January 2000 after seven years. It was based in Boston and I do see some chatter in posts here that they did the OG Hearst package in 1995.

I think they also did ESPN's 1994-1999 Sportscenter intro:

• Like 1

And plus millions of (possibly) other stations too....

A WNYT interview circa 2005 on Donald Trump visiting Albany, followed by a promo on the Catholic Church (features the “LIVE, LOCAL, LATEBREAKING” tag under the News Channel 13 logo).

On 7/4/2014 at 8:46 PM, Ramona said:

I know, you're getting tired of this Phoenix material, but is it worth it or what:

First off, a video featuring Mary Jo West, one of the trailblazers of women in TV news. It even includes another sample of that late 1970s KOOL-TV theme:

If you've ever wondered where you can see Mary Jo West these days:

By the way, is the clip below the only one we've ever seen of West during her 1983-'86 stint at KTVK?

Edited by WWUpdate