Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

48 minutes ago, Chris Hadley said:

Hal Riney did the voiceovers for these spots. He was also a legendary advertising executive who was best known for creating President Reagan's 1984 "It's Morning Again In America" ad, which helped catapult Reagan to a second term in office. Riney also produced/voiced ads for Ernest and Julio Gallo Wines and Saturn, among many others.

https://adage.com/article/agency-news/a-back-hal-riney-contrarian/303207/

Ah, "Morning in America"! I *knew* that voice sounded familiar. Thanks.

• Like 1

And now, I came across some rare Abilene news clips from the 1980s and 1990s on Facebook.

First, here is a KTAB news open from 1990.

And...a KTXS news montage with open...FROM 1988!!1!!

But hold on...here's clips from Abilene television in the 1980s to 1990s where they mention crime news in this montage.

• Like 1

The intro of the very first edition of Nightline after the retirement of Ted Koppel (November 28, 2005), when Terry Moran, Cynthia McFadden and Martin Bashir took over as hosts of the program. Strange to see the opener in 16:9. Anyone knows when the program started to be broadcast in this format before switching to HD?

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, hmaxhanson said:

They had been using that theme dating back to at least 1982, as evidenced by the end of this vid:

That theme was "Scrap Yard" from Tangerine Dream and their soundtrack for the 1981 film "Thief"

• Like 2

More from ewjxn, this time a 1978 WDSU 5 PM news open w/the NBC TV/Radio "Newspulse" theme:

The late WVUE (later WDSU) sportscaster Buddy Diliberto recaps a thrilling finish in the 1977 UNO-Tulane basketball game...

Edited by Chris Hadley

On 2/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, H4UL4U said:

Complete 6AM newscast from WBNS from Thursday, March 18, 1999. Top stories include the Buckeyes Sweet 16 game against Auburn, the ongoing search for Erica Baker, and the passing of The Longaberger Basket Company patriarch Dave Longaberger. 

Not to mention Erica Baker’s body still hasn’t been found.

Jacky9br strikes again, this time with some late '80s-early '90s Baton Rouge material. First, the start of a WAFB 10 PM newscast on the day after deadly tornadoes struck the area. At 4:56, you'll see incredible amateur video of an explosion caused by the tornado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGtUkLCcoro

From November 29, 1987, WVLA's special report cut-in on the end of the Oakdale prison riots. This was days after the station changed their call letters from WRBT to WVLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzoBGjUlLhE

Edited by Chris Hadley
  • Like 1

Listen the way YouTube is acting up nowadays, it's hard to search for vintage newscast. But luckily i found a ton. So let's get started.

WPLG the one & only ID 1990 arguably THE GREATEST Station id EVER! if anyone wants to challenge that....

WPLG Eyewitness News 1990 11pm

WPLG Eyewitness News 1990 5 pm

WCIX (WFOR) Action News 11 pm 1990

WBZ 11pm Eyewitness News and Sports Final

WNEW 10 o'clock news 1982

A question for all Chicagoans when did WFLD launched a 9:30 News? 1990 BTW.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Listen the way YouTube is acting up nowadays, it's hard to search for vintage newscast. But luckily i found a ton. So let's get started.

That is something YouTube has disabled right now in the wake of the events in New Zealand.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, Ramona said:

This WCCO 1996 news excerpt has elements with their use of the KCBS Michael Randall package—in 1996, a year before the NMSA has them using it.

Those anchors turn too fast!!!!!!!

Also Rebecca Kolls - known as Rebecca Reheis when she worked at KTVX.

And I’m guessing this design was a One80 job. Very well done indeed.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 1:53 AM, SoFloTVClassics said:

WPLG the one & only ID 1990 arguably THE GREATEST Station id EVER! if anyone wants to challenge that....

WPLG Eyewitness News 1990 11pm

WPLG Eyewitness News 1990 5 pm

WCIX (WFOR) Action News 11 pm 1990

WBZ 11pm Eyewitness News and Sports Final

WNEW 10 o'clock news 1982

A question for all Chicagoans when did WFLD launched a 9:30 News? 1990 BTW.

Back then, WFLD's 9pm hour was divided into two segments: the first half hour was devoted to news, sports and weather, and the remaining half hour was a light news program with features. It didn't last long.

• Like 1

This is marked as a "Circle K commercial" (which is what it is), but at the :30 mark, there is a KTVK teaser from 1985 ("Eyewitness News" era) featuring weekend anchors (at the time) Frank Camacho and Heidi Foglesong.

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 2

I’ve updated the WTSP compilation since I’ve been watching WTSP clips on YT lately - yesterday I was humming The Hour and Great News in class! @8Viewer

On side note, I believe ‘TSP re-composed the Hour around 1990/91 to use the classic Gari 1990s synthesizer music. Wish we had a clean cut if so.

• Like 2