Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

9 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

Do you have an idea of how long this series of opens was used? Did they have the 2000/2001 Raycom package? That’d be my guess.

Yep, WTOC had that package. I remember being in Hilton Head in 2002 and they had a updated package. Still had the same set from like 1995-2005.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:06 PM, WWUpdate said:

Here's assorted coverage of the death of the legendary Chicago news anchor Fahey Flynn, 1983:

On 4/14/2018 at 6:23 PM, hmaxhanson said:

WLS-TV's tribute to Fahey Flynn right after his death in 1983:

The summer of 1983 was a rough one for ABC anchors. Chicago legend Fahey Flynn died that summer, just weeks after World News Tonight anchor (and one time WLS/WBKB anchor/reporter) Frank Reynolds' passing. The same YouTube account that posted Flynn's memorials now has a look at Ted Koppel and Nightline's remembrance of Reynolds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Info Junkie said:

Before he hit it big in Denver, Bill Stuart worked at KETV under the name Bill Hamilton.

WCVB also used that campaign "The One to Turn To" with the same animation for the logo! I remember seeing it on a demo reel, but I can't find it on YouTube. Anyone knows who composed that jingle?

Edited by onthesea

5 hours ago, onthesea said:

WCVB also used that campaign "The One to Turn To" with the same animation for the logo! I remember seeing it on a demo reel, but I can't find it on YouTube. Anyone knows who composed that jingle?

I think this was exclusively for ABC affiliates at the time, go to 2:23 in the following video and see a number of ABC stations that used it:

• Like 1

Complete 6AM newscast from WBNS from Thursday, March 18, 1999. Top stories include the Buckeyes Sweet 16 game against Auburn, the ongoing search for Erica Baker, and the passing of The Longaberger Basket Company patriarch Dave Longaberger. 

Edited by H4UL4U
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:11 PM, WWUpdate said:

^^^ This is a great bit of Chicago TV history -- and a rare clip of Jane Pauley as WMAQ anchor. Kalber and Pauley would soon be reunited on the Today show.

Not to mention a young Bill Kurtis at WBBM.

I want to share the closing segment of a special about legendary WLWT personality Paul Dixon that aired in 1984. Watch at 4:02, because it features a WLWT announcer in the credits, Bud Stagg. 

Also, I checked into this via Google and found that Bud Stagg passed away back in 2013. He was a veteran Cincinnati radio DJ who also voiced the Med Mart commercials. And, if you go to http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#1,1,KOLN and click on open #2, you can hear Bud's voice on the news open. 

Speaking of Med Mart, here is a commercial featuring Bud's voice.

Here's Ericka Pino working at WXTV Noticias 41 from Circa 2001-2003. Despite saying 2000 in the description, no footage from that year is shown since the graphics package WXTV attained as shown in the video was used as early as 2001.

Also, I know it was shared before, but here's the news open WXTV used at the time for those that are curious and new to Univision searching.

Uploaded some new stuff including some international stuff that I recently acquired from bought VHS tapes. 

KTVZ October 1994 Z21 News stuff. No newscast unfortunately. They seem to not have a weekend newscast at the time as a syndication of Cheers was at the 11PM timeslot. I'll upload the "no local news" NBC late night credits soon. 

TVE2 in Catalonia, Spain. This is their news open for L'informatiu which appears to be a newscast.

Some UK Network IDs. I got promos and other stuff that I'll upload in the coming days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WFTV Channel 9 said:

Uploaded some new stuff including some international stuff that I recently acquired from bought VHS tapes. 

KTVZ October 1994 Z21 News stuff. No newscast unfortunately. They seem to not have a weekend newscast at the time as a syndication of Cheers was at the 11PM timeslot. I'll upload the "no local news" NBC late night credits soon. 

TVE2 in Catalonia, Spain. This is their news open for L'informatiu which appears to be a newscast.

Some UK Network IDs. I got promos and other stuff that I'll upload in the coming days.

I remember watching KTVZ back in ‘94 during a stay in Bend and finding it to be super small market quality. Two and a half decades make a difference!