Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That's not Classical Gas, it appears to be a custom composition for an image campaign "Get the Action Spirit". The theme line is "Get the Action Spirit, Action 6". In fact, the theme was brand new. Here's a promo with it from two weeks prior:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

Did you find any of that mystery KXTV stuff from 1997?

Unfortunately, no. I'm always buying tapes from online, flea markets, thrift stores or garage sales so if I stumble upon that era or any other rare era from any other station, I'll upload them. 

Meanwhile, here's another batch of videos that I just uploaded today including a KTTV open that I've never seen before.

Not news but here's some WTSP Station IDs from the "Enjoy It. We Do." era. 

https://youtu.be/s3p1TkVIWfs

https://youtu.be/FboW_S7L-lE

https://youtu.be/e_OyRrmXa38

• Like 1

No news opens featured, but a couple stories about Ronnie Speeks, a local East Tennessee singer and Elvis tribute artist Ronnie Speeks. Featured at 2:07 is anchor Elisa Jaffe who would go on to host a local show on KOMO for a number of years.

FYI: Elisa Jaffe's first television job was at WATE-TV, Knoxville in the 1980s and on her Facebook page, she shares a photo collage of her time at WATE.

But wait...there's more. Here is a rare look at Idaho television news at the end of the decade with a full KBCI newscast. It features an interesting "Action News" logo and *NEWS OPEN*. The year: 1979.

You may notice longtime WLEX news anchor Alan Cutler in the sports anchor chair. This was one of his earlier gigs before hitting it big in Lexington, KY at WLEX-TV.

Now, wait just a minute...we have another sighting. This time, from KBYU-TV, the PBS station. Their newscasts were known as "Newsroom 11" and their theme: Bob James' "The Golden Apple."

Not too long after the newscast was recorded, their newscast became...."Weeknight."

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
Added a rare PBS local newscast from 1979.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WFTV Channel 9 said:

Some uncommon and rare Boise stuff I found including some unseen/unheard KTVB Broadcast News stuff and (partial) KIVI with Gari's News Watch.

You've done it again! I'm eagarly awaiting you uploading anything from Tallahassee or Panama City!

BTW, the KIVI open would've been to a 5pm or 5:30 newscast, since they aired Wheel of Fortune at 6:30pm back then (it formerly and now airs on KBOI-TV).

Edited by Ramona
remove duplicated embeds in quote to speed page load

Coverage of the death of Fahey Flynn in 1983, from WLS and WBBM where he worked. There's also some coverage (local and national) of Christine Craft winning her discrimination lawsuit against KMBC, which happened the same day. Joel Daly actually appeared on WLS while on vacation in Spokane:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

It appears a guy named “kyndle hewitt” has jumped on the news open bandwagon - they are doing compilations for pretty much all the Raycom/Gray stations.

I think he may have recently registered as a member of this site. I saw his name down here once.

16 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

Great one - has anyone tried reaching out to Dan Dean about his early KOMO work?

I've recently spoke with a YT user who reached out to Dan Dean years ago + he lended the user all the CDs of his work + those of KING + KCPQ if i'm not mistaken. He still got 'em + I'll track down to see if he'll transfer some mp3 files for a listen. His KOMO '91-98 work is a classic.

• Like 1

1985 WBBM retrospective, looking back at the famous Kennedy/Nixon debate that took place at their Chicago studios. The video is tagged to begin with a very unique take on the classic "I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home" signature, used at their special presentation open.

• Like 3

OK, I admit it: I like this `'74 promo for the NBC Nightly News. Its overall feel is cheesily optimistic in that 1970s way, but it's also a nice reminder of an era when news promos could be artistically creative and executives weren't scared to death of confusing the mass audience:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1

WTOC open from 1997 with NewsChannel.

And a weekend talent open from the same station included in this report.

Two WIS-TV opens from 1990 (weekday and weekend). End of vid includes credit roll

Edited by sctvhound
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, sctvhound said:

WTOC open from 1997 with NewsChannel.

And a weekend talent open from the same station included in this report.

Do you have an idea of how long this series of opens was used? Did they have the 2000/2001 Raycom package? That’d be my guess.