Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

21 minutes ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

Here is a rare Richmond news goodie...a WXEX news open and clip from March 1984.

You can view this news open at 1:56:34, but beware...there may be low audio.

I didn't know that Janet Peckinpaugh worked in Richmond before moving to Connecticut.

I was planning on doing the Susquehanna Valley after I finish Rochester and one St. Louis station, but it appears someone already beat me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt-x-bJxA38 (WGAL)

(Yeah, it seems like embed URLs aren't working for me)

Edited by NESTLEH

16 hours ago, NESTLEH said:

I was planning on doing the Susquehanna Valley after I finish Rochester and one St. Louis station, but it appears someone already beat me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt-x-bJxA38 (WGAL)

(Yeah, it seems like embed URLs aren't working for me)

Looks like TheOpensGuy is a new channel, as the Susquehanna Valley station compilations are the only ones on there.

That being said NESTLEH, you can still do the HLLY market, just consider putting it off until sometime in the near future. When I gave the TVNT user who runs The ID Junkie channel permission to update the existing compilations that were on my channel, I noted that there shouldn't be any dibs-ing on markets if other similar news open comp channels popped up or I started uploading videos again. Essentially, take a "you do you" approach, but if another user does upload compilations from a particular market which you planned on doing, keep that market in your plans... but just give yourself the option of holding off creating your takes until a later date (one to two months, at least).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Looks like TheOpensGuy is a new channel, as the Susquehanna Valley station compilations are the only ones on there.

That being said NESTLEH, you can still do the HLLY market, just consider putting it off until sometime in the near future. When I gave the TVNT user who runs The ID Junkie channel permission to update the existing compilations that were on my channel, I noted that there shouldn't be any dibs-ing on markets if other similar news open comp channels popped up or I started uploading videos again. Essentially, take a "you do you" approach, but if another user does upload compilations from a particular market which you planned on doing, keep that market in your plans... but just give yourself the option of holding off creating your takes until a later date (one to two months, at least).

Alright then. I'll keep that in mind.

51 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Well said TL.

If you haven’t noticed lately, I’ve been updating Atlanta as we speak. I recently updated WAGA, but I accidentally deleted

the 1977 opens while in the middle of editing, as well as a 1995-96 5:30 open.

https://youtu.be/TomDCY4b-t0

Some commercials from WTLV using their 2nd TVbD look: 

BTW, I'm Facebook friends with the guy who gave Channel 37 this tape (he's also given some material, mostly Jacksonville & Florida clips, to NewsActive3, who I'm also Facebook friends with now!).

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

Well said TL.

If you haven’t noticed lately, I’ve been updating Atlanta as we speak. I recently updated WAGA, but I accidentally deleted

the 1977 opens while in the middle of editing, as well as a 1995-96 5:30 open.

https://youtu.be/TomDCY4b-t0

Yeah, I actually left a couple of messages on the video directing to a couple of additional videos with opens (including the 1995-96 5:30 open you mentioned) that could have been included in the compilation. (One of the two I mentioned was a WAGA noon newscast from 1994 uploaded by Radioman1968, which contains a open from the 1994 package for that particular newscast.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes

On 1/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, Info Junkie said:

MrSurferOne is STILL stealing @compubit‘s videos without permission.

Shouldn't surprise me at all. I'm cool with the guy now since I gave him blessings to use some of the older stuff, but at the same time I totally agree with you. I know because when he first started out he carbon-copied my channel and people were confused and I called him out on it.

9 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

These clips of Chattanooga newscasts from November 1997 show that WDEF was still using People You Can Count On after Media General bought Park:

I don’t know what’s worse - the fact they literally copied the CBS Evening News L3’s or the fact that WSLS transitioned to the MG look way earlier than WDEF did. Or the fact that WSLS’s pre-MG graphics looked halfway decent despite Park ownership.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

KDKA 70 years nostalgia.

I’m hoping they repost the post-Super Bowl XIV newscast from January 20, 1980 again. KDKA had it on their website 10 years ago when the Steelers won their last Super Bowl. Also maybe they should or should have redone (since it’s winter) an image campaign like their sister WBZ did last year. Maybe Here’s 2 or Renaissance 2.

Edited by jerseyfla

2 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

I don’t know what’s worse - the fact they literally copied the CBS Evening News L3’s or the fact that WSLS transitioned to the MG look way earlier than WDEF did. Or the fact that WSLS’s pre-MG graphics looked halfway decent despite Park ownership.

The lower thirds were made available in a network package that was used by several local stations including KLBK and KVAL.

• Like 1

WJLA ends the day in March of 1980, using the same audio used in the already unearthed 1986 sign-off, but with a mention of the TV Code at the begining. Also preceding the sign off is the outro to their Late Great Movie using very late 70's graphics and music, plus a brief community affairs interview segment (which I assume also aired at sign-on):

• Like 1