Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

24 minutes ago, NESTLEH said:

Merry Christmas everyone! Here is my Christmas gift, a compilation of KHON.

Very nice, any other markets do you plan on doing the compilation in markets where ID Junkie has not done the compilations at as of yet?

2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Very nice, any other markets do you plan on doing the compilation in markets where ID Junkie has not done the compilations at as of yet?

So far, I'm planning on Rochester (NY) and Grand Rapids.

Edited by NESTLEH

1 minute ago, NESTLEH said:

So far, I'm planning on Rochester (NY) and Grand Rapids.

Grand Rapids, I'm looking forward to seeing that. Hopefully, you'll get to do Dallas and update the compilations T.L. Hughes did down there

36 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Grand Rapids, I'm looking forward to seeing that. Hopefully, you'll get to do Dallas and update the compilations T.L. Hughes did down there

I’m gonna continue updating those possibly, but I’m not doing new areas anymore.

KXTV began its longtime “News 10” logo under Belo, it seems (or did the KXTV-KVUE swap occur before 1999???)

3 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

I’m gonna continue updating those possibly, but I’m not doing new areas anymore.

KXTV began its longtime “News 10” logo under Belo, it seems (or did the KXTV-KVUE swap occur before 1999???)

That took place toward the tail end of the Belo era. The KXTV/KVUE swap did in fact, took place about a year later in 1999.

No presentation material, but...KDUB!!! By this point they were known as "Newswatch" instead of "40 News" as they had been in the mid-late 80s.

I also found this story from 1994, with the same NEWSWATCH logo in evidence:

Edited by Ramona

3 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

When was the news dept. Shut down?

Looks like the answer is, believe it or not, October 2002. Worth noting: despite becoming a Fox affiliate, KFXB seems to have kept its late news at 10. It ran either a 5 and 10 or a 6 and 10 in its later years.

I found an interesting 1997 filing in a case on LMAs from the owners of KFXB, who said without Second Generation (which then owned KFXA Cedar Rapids), the station would likely have failed. Second Generation paid for technical improvements and the reinforcement of the tower, a new news set and weather graphics system, and other upgrades.

3 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

What was WBBM like under Tabloid TV? Any idea @24994J?

Walter left on his own, actually, but he was reading the writing on the wall. He had been demoted from the anchor desk, and his commentaries had been moved from the 10 o'clock news. He knew he wasn't going to last. Honestly, in retrospect, the product wasn't bad, but it was such a departure from their longtime image, it just cemented their 3rd place status. The theme was not great, the graphics were so flashy, and the pacing of the whole show was super fast, for it's time. The overlooked part of this era is the news team, easily one of the best ever assembled at the local level. Lester Holt and Elizabeth Vargas would go on to top dog network anchor status, Jim Avila, Rob Stafford and Larry Mendte would also go national, Jay Levine, Mike Parker, McPherrin, MacLennan and Baskerville are legends, and Bill Kurtis and Harry Volkman are considered some of the best to ever do the job.

Management just sucked.

Here's the newscast attached to that open.

Then consider what the #1 station in town looked like, at that point.

Chicago was very traditional and conservative in terms of news (still is, in many ways), so the WBBM makeover didn't sit well.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Walter left on his own, actually, but he was reading the writing on the wall. He had been demoted from the anchor desk, and his commentaries had been moved from the 10 o'clock news. He knew he wasn't going to last. Honestly, in retrospect, the product wasn't bad, but it was such a departure from their longtime image, it just cemented their 3rd place status. The theme was not great, the graphics were so flashy, and the pacing of the whole show was super fast, for it's time. The overlooked part of this era is the news team, easily one of the best ever assembled at the local level. Lester Holt and Elizabeth Vargas would go on to top dog network anchor status, Jim Avila, Rob Stafford and Larry Mendte would also go national, Jay Levine, Mike Parker, McPherrin, MacLennan and Baskerville are legends, and Bill Kurtis and Harry Volkman are considered some of the best to ever do the job.

Management just sucked.

Chicago was very traditional and conservative in terms of news (still is, in many ways), so the WBBM makeover didn't sit well.

If you were to show me this as like one of those question-on-the-street types of questions, I would've chosen WLS any day over WBBM at this era.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

Management just sucked.

You forgot Bulldog.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Management just sucked.

How long did it last? Couldn’t have been more than a year, as by 1993 they had toned down with this pack, and Nick Michaels (RIP):

I actually read an article from WBBM from March 1992 that they were forcing Charlie Van Dyke out and replacing him with Chapin...

• Like 2

Here's a rather interesting find in a commercial compilation. Despite joining the 24-Hour News craze in the early 1990's, WDAF-TV would still sign off some nights (likely one Saturday or Sunday a month) for regular matinence. This is one example from 1994, just months before being sold to New World and going to Fox, note that the sign-off plugs the station engineers union! 

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 1

Wow, that signoff looks like they slapped a new graphic slide over much older material — the station owner is listed on an 80s chyron graphic (very likely added when Great American bought the station in 1987) and the logos are on visibly dirty slides. The voiceover by Ron Moore was probably recorded at the same time, but the script was probably similar (guessing though not done by Overland Park-based Moore, who voiced WDAF between 1987 and 1992) when Taft owned WDAF and the slides have to come from something older.

• Like 2

KCCI in 1986 — and it's not Good News! (Well, it's good news if you like 80s news themes...)

The theme is a custom called "Be A Part of it All". It has at least two image songs:

It was also short lived — introduced either in late 1985 or early 1986 (potentially coinciding with new studios for KCCI in October 1985) and ousted sometime between late 1986 and early 1987 (when the station adopted Spirit of Texas).