Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

1 hour ago, Info Junkie said:

A WVTM news segment from 1986, no open:

Was the unified look that KDFW/KTVI/KTBC had used at ALL Times-Mirror stations?

In the mid-80s (about 1985?), WHTM actually updated to it. In '86 they were even still using the late 70s Times-Mirror stations theme (NMSA "KDFW 1979").

Even WETM used the same typeface, though we don't have any newscasts from the period when T-M still owned the station. (WSTM never seemed to, and then Elmira, Syracuse and Harrisburg were sold off in 1986.)

KTVI seemed to never be part of any standardization. If they were, it might have been in late 1980-1981 (T-M did not own KTVI until 1980). That said, it's unclear quite what they were like between 1980 and 82 or so.

In 1980, they dropped the NewsCenter 2 imaging they had been using. There's not much of that, but there's a demo reel from a graphics company with a KTVI 10pm open:

In 1979, though, they hadn't yet adopted that logo (there's a snippet in the final second showing their set):

Times-Mirror in general had more standardization than many groups in the 80s, especially early in the decade and then in the 1987-88 period. (The Yours Truly graphics package comes to mind.)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ramona said:

In the mid-80s (about 1985?), WHTM actually updated to it. In '86 they were even still using the late 70s Times-Mirror stations theme (NMSA "KDFW 1979").

Even WETM used the same typeface, though we don't have any newscasts from the period when T-M still owned the station. (WSTM never seemed to, and then Elmira, Syracuse and Harrisburg were sold off in 1986.)

KTVI seemed to never be part of any standardization. If they were, it might have been in late 1980-1981 (T-M did not own KTVI until 1980). That said, it's unclear quite what they were like between 1980 and 82 or so.

In 1980, they dropped the NewsCenter 2 imaging they had been using. There's not much of that, but there's a demo reel from a graphics company with a KTVI 10pm open:

In 1979, though, they hadn't yet adopted that logo (there's a snippet in the final second showing their set):

Times-Mirror in general had more standardization than many groups in the 80s, especially early in the decade and then in the 1987-88 period. (The Yours Truly graphics package comes to mind.)

I couldn’t find WHTM’s take on the KDFW “Hello News” pack in that link you shared...

And that KTVI “News Center 2” era must’ve been in use after this, which was April 1980:

Also, unrelated, but I also found a KOVR show from January 1992:

• Like 1

Whoops, I was wrong — it was March 1981 that they dropped "NewsCenter 2".

Sheesh, KTVI was changing imaging more than its underwear... (The Fox OSI theme has lasted longer than the last four music packages they used combined!)

We don't have any early-80s 'HTM to really say, unfortunately.

Though I did find this 1979 WTPA (!!) sportscast (the callsign change was in 1980 and this is January 27, 1979):

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

That KTVI open would be super cool to find. I do believe they debuted that "NewsCenter 2" logo in 1979 when Larry Conners took over the anchor desk after Gene Tuck left for San Antonio. That was when KTVI actually passed KSD in the ratings for a few years. 

• Like 1

I'll be headed to two markets this time around. The first one is a market that is small, yet compilation-worthy and that market is Terre Haute, and I'll be starting off with a rare occurrence, and that is a PBS station having a compilation, and that station is WVUT. As for the second one, it's a wait and see. 

Edited by NESTLEH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NESTLEH said:

I just have found a very rare news open of WLNE from 1994-1995 (skip to 5:03).

Now that’s a great thing to wake up too!

WLNE’s graphics looked very nice for their time, they had a similar look upon joining ABC:

All in all the look and logo itself were enough to be used at WRGB:

• Like 3