Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Wonderful package. Got me from the little montage of sunburst-yellow logos at the beginning. (Yay for including the iconic 1979-82 logo!) Bonus points for spotlighting the REAL stars of the format: the Eyewitness News TEAM. Roger and Bill might have been the greatest anchor team in television news history, but that cast of characters around them deserve equal points for making that newscast shine.

NJ Burkett is absolutely right when he calls WABC the "New York Yankees of television news". I can't think of any other station with such a pedigree. Maybe.... MAYBE WPVI.

Some of those are clearly from YouTube uploads (some of which I personally did)... but they own the footage so I can't really complain.

https://abc7ny.com/community-events/eyewitness-news-anchor-roger-grimsby-profile-(1982)/4647748/

Great look at WABC's greatest-ever talent (sorry Bill Beutel).

• Like 5

Oh, I can do you one better than 1992...how about 1996?

Ouch. That is cheaper than the sound a baby chick makes. (Heh heh heh... )

Anyways you like Des Moines? (Vince was gone 4 months later to anchor in Providence, RI):

Or El Paso? (Btw I’m gonna update my KTSM video once i have the new opens they just unveiled sent to me - apparently they don’t livestream?)

• Like 2

KDVR had a pretty unremarkable history from the time it signed on the air in 1983 until when it became a Fox O&O in 1995 and started a news department in 2000.

But this promo theme from 1987 back when they branded as "TV-31" is, uh, a sign of the times. The station's first logo as seen here is also rather unusual too:

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4