Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Here's the tail-end of ABC's 1978 primetime election coverage, anchored by Frank Reynolds, followed by Fahey Flynn, Joel Daly, and the beginning of Eyewitness News at 10. Note the mention of the election of a new Arkansas governor, some young kid named Clinton. No word on what became of him. (WLS, 11/7/1980)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Here's the tail-end of ABC's 1978 primetime election coverage, anchored by Frank Reynolds, followed by Fahey Flynn, Joel Daly, and the beginning of Eyewitness News at 10. Note the mention of the election of a new Arkansas governor, some young kid named Clinton. No word on what became of him. (WLS, 11/7/1980)

Is that CBC's 1970s The National theme being used in WLS's election open (at 4:15)?

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1

Not quite...it's Ballet 'Homage to the Athletes,' Rock Movement from the '76 Summer Olympics, as used by the CTV National News (and several other American stations).

Ah, now I remember seeing that on NMSA. I presume WLS never used it on any regularly scheduled newscasts?

• Like 3

Ah, now I remember seeing that on NMSA. I presume WLS never used it on any regularly scheduled newscasts?

You would be correct. For some weird reason, the "Cool Hand Luke" soundtrack didn't have an election theme. :D

• Like 4

Well, someone need to let compubit (JRD) know that he's posting newscasts on YT without his permission.

I’ve alerted him already via conversation.

While I assemble my KSTU compilation, here’s a clip I stumbled upon from early 2005(?) This was definitely the last package they used “News Source” with.

• Like 1

Urk. I recall when that WHBQ open first got posted we all agreed KCRA’s take on it was better.

However I do believe WHBQ had more than just 6pm & 10pm. A YT user named Shaun Fossett (who was a member on this site back in the day) told me they had a morning newscast (2 hour) and a noon newscast (half hour). They also had a 5pm news at some point too. But still, WHBQ was a market laggard. Which is why I ain’t doing Memphis news opens...

• Like 1

Urk. I recall when that WHBQ open first got posted we all agreed KCRA’s take on it was better.

However I do believe WHBQ had more than just 6pm & 10pm. A YT user named Shaun Fossett (who was a member on this site back in the day) told me they had a morning newscast (2 hour) and a noon newscast (half hour). They also had a 5pm news at some point too. But still, WHBQ was a market laggard. Which is why I ain’t doing Memphis news opens...

When I did New World at 20 a bit back, they *were* at one hour a day. In fact, there's even a promo for 13 Eyewitness News, Live at Six and Ten from the same year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Y8X6reUMGeM;t=18

They also had the smallest news staff in the market. They made a major news expansion with the Fox switch — they immediately changed the 10pm to 9pm, they had a newscast at 5 and then the morning show which started at 6am.

By the way, that video contains a KTHV break bump with a Gilmer package from right before the "Today's THV" rebrand (which it seems was sorely needed)...

Edited by Ramona
  • Like 1

Sigh..

Can't we all not do that??

It's uploaded on fair use grounds anyway, so no one person can claim ownership to upload it in the same realm as the original copyright owner cannot (or should not) take down a video without proving the uploader has profited from it in violation of their copyright outside the grounds of fair use.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

It's uploaded on fair use grounds anyway, so no one person can claim ownership to upload it in the same realm as the original copyright owner cannot (or should not) take down a video without proving the uploader has profited from it in violation of their copyright outside the grounds of fair use.

Oh im well aware T.L. I'm just the type that still respects common courtesy in the world we live in today... when many others dont. Fair use or not. Personal thoughts here.

The last i'll say of anything on this as i wish to not steer into off-topic discussions on this thread.

I think before they became "The Southland's #1 News Team"... here is the June 13th, 1972 11pm edition of Eyewitness News..

From the Jenson Home.... yes.. in a home.

See the comments for details... and dont expect Cool Hand Luke to be playing in the open either..

• Like 3

See the comments for details... and dont expect Cool Hand Luke to be playing in the open either..

They're using RAI Due's news theme! (Or rather, Italy's RAI Due used this music a few years later.)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

KDFW from 26 years ago this week.

Don't think I've seen a non NBC station use that NBC style of Helvetica in its Chyrons (the slightly expanded letters that were used on just about everything that originated in Burbank or NY for a while).

I'm guessing it wasn't unique to NBC - they just used it a lot - from KNBC to Scrabble to NBC News to Late Night.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 6

Ow, that is one cheap look for 1997...then again it is Park. The MG standardization was one heck of an upgrade for several of his stations...

I truly don't know how PYCCO (The Coast) survived that long. It was a package behind the 8-ball when WDEF picked it up in 1995!

• Like 3