Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WVTM. They sank to 4th place after NBC sold them, thanks to WIAT’s resurgence and ABC 33/40.

Actually, I think its WIAT again and I say that because yes, WIAT did have a resurgence. However, when Hearst bought WVTM, they completely turned it around and ratings have significantly improved to a point where I think WVTM is now second behind WBRC. Unfortunately, with Nexcheap now in the hands of WIAT, they'll quickly be back to being laughing stocks in the market again.

• Like 2

In the early 1980s, Memphis' WMC did a promo series dubbed "Friendly 5", which based on the comments, was pretty popular by viewers in the market. There were a few versions of it:

*The main "Carriage Promo", featuring promo composer Floyd Huddleston and Jimi Jameson of the group Survivor.

*The "Summer Fun" promo featuring meteorologist Dave Brown and folks having fun outdoors.

*And the "Marching Band Promo", featuring the then-Memphis State marching band, whom played the entire theme instead of studio musicians.

• Like 1

In the early 1980s, Memphis' WMC did a promo series dubbed "Friendly 5", which based on the comments, was pretty popular by viewers in the market. There were a few versions of it:

*The main "Carriage Promo", featuring promo composer Floyd Huddleston and Jimi Jameson of the group Survivor.

*The "Summer Fun" promo featuring meteorologist Dave Brown and folks having fun outdoors.

*And the "Marching Band Promo", featuring the then-Memphis State marching band, whom played the entire theme instead of studio musicians.

This has a "Cincinnati style" vibe to it.

Suddenly that

theme makes sense. Edited by MikePulse
  • Like 3

Suddenly that
theme makes sense.

Why infamous?

WMC in my opinion is the Memphis market’s only saving grace, I hate the rest of the stations... especially how crappy WHBQ was in the early 90s.

WAGA signs off its broadcast day.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Another full newscast from Ken Owen's (persumed) collection, this time it's WRTV's paid 10pm newscast on WTTV from February 28, 1994:

BTW, does anyone really know for sure if that is Ken himself uploading the clips to TheClassicSports account?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Why infamous?

WMC in my opinion is the Memphis market’s only saving grace, I hate the rest of the stations... especially how crappy WHBQ was in the early 90s.

Not disagreeing. Just detected the “Friendly 5” signature in it. But Tuba and Trombone in G major was a pretty unique theme, to say the least.

• Like 1

I decided to get back into doing Puerto Rico. This time, WAPA gets it's compilation, although I might need some help with having a recording or recordings of WAPA's current news open that isn't a second-hand recording.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

ID Junkie's compliation of WEAR-TV..even though its Sinclair..they have had some great stuff certainly considering how unique of a station it is.

I love WEAR too. Their Hummingbird theme is still beautiful. I love any theme that is saxophone driven.

Btw just looked on the internet archive and it appears there’s tons of Richmond VA stuff I skipped over - Probably cause my screen recorder audio doesn’t work when I play videos not from an app.

• Like 2

[quote name='hmaxhanson']Here's something for The ID Junkies KTVT compilation, it's most of the evening edition of KTVT's Metroplex News from Memorial Day 1979. Fun fact, these usually at the halfway mark of their 9pm movie! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVHu3fjszA[/QUOTE] Hmm... KTVT will need an update, since it has nothing pre-1995. Thank you! Editing my WPMI one now. Later this week, I’ll be doing Salt Lake City. I’ve dug some stuff out for KUTV and I found this (Spoilers @Ramona it ain’t the 1984-1989 stuff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUW50WzwIQ4
  • Like 1

ID Junkie's compliation of WEAR-TV..even though its Sinclair..they have had some great stuff certainly considering how unique of a station it is.

Loved the "Clearly Yours" era of Channel 3 and the seagull as part of the logo. I watched that station a lot as a kid in Pascagoula, Miss.

Edited by Guest