Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Interesting... does EGAD have a client list anywhere?

A KPTV open pops up at the end of this compilation, using similar GFX to sister station KTVX at the time. Really nicely done, I’d say. Who designed those?

Going back even earlier to 1996 at the end of this video KPTV used an open from 1991 (maybe 1992?) and lasted it until ‘96.

• Like 4

Interesting... does EGAD have a client list anywhere?

A KPTV open pops up at the end of this compilation, using similar GFX to sister station KTVX at the time. Really nicely done, I’d say. Who designed those?

Given the look of it, whoever designed this KSTP open from 1994:

Wow, the 1996 open is jarring. The station had done a lot of modernizing in presentation but the news open was completely divorced from that.

KPTV was a very traditional station, even during the UPN days-- it wasn't until Meredith got their hands on it and turned it back into the Fox station that the local feeling was kinda drained out.

• Like 2

It's from a new tape he got the other day.

I know, lolz.

Should the NMSA change this theme from KTNV 1987 to (maybe) WBRZ 1983? The actual WBRZ 1983 on there I think was first used at WFSB. I know the Discovered Music Composers thread has had a discussion on this before.

Also, not next time, but in the future, I might do Salt Lake City compilations. If I can pull off videos from rare markets like Albany or Fort Myers I can do them. Plus I love SLC news so much...

• Like 2

I know, lolz.

Should the NMSA change this theme from KTNV 1987 to (maybe) WBRZ 1983? The actual WBRZ 1983 on there I think was first used at WFSB. I know the Discovered Music Composers thread has had a discussion on this before.

Absolutely. I still don't know why it hasn't been changed. Clearly, WBRZ used "The Land of the 3" as its news theme back then, even though they didn't use their promo campaign.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Shown to station managers in 1997, to preview GE’s SixSigma program which was being rolled out to NBC and the O&Os at the time.

Includes:

- WNBC/New York

- KNBC/Los Angeles

- WMAQ/Chicago

- KNSD/San Diego

- WVIT/Hartford

- WCMH/Columbus

- WVTM/Birmingham

- WTVJ/Miami

- WJAR/Providence

- WCAU/Philadelphia

- WNCN/Raleigh

Edited by ColDayNews
  • Like 6

How did this user get this before Michael Pannoni did? It's WBAL's sign-off routine from March 4, 1988, about halfway into their CBS era. It included a news headline summary, and a sermonette (whose intro and outro dated back to the first NBC era):

Also on the tape was this promo & an ID with the CBSpirit graphics:

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 3

Shown to station managers in 1997, to preview GE’s SixSigma program which was being rolled out to NBC and the O&Os at the time.

Includes:

- WNBC/New York

- KNBC/Los Angeles

- WMAQ/Chicago

- KNSD/San Diego

- WVIT/Hartford

- WCMH/Columbus

- WVTM/Birmingham

- WTVJ/Miami

- WJAR/Providence

- WCAU/Philadelphia

- WNCN/Raleigh

It's interesting to see the massive contrasts between O&O's at this point, especially among the ones that had not yet been fully NBC'd. Or how WNBC stood out as being so much sparse versus the others, this the peak of the "red line" era.

As much as this was a video for private consumption at the time it was made, I find the use of Jesus Jones' "Right Here, Right Now" to be ironic given a) how badly it aged in six years and b) how only a couple of years earlier CBS was using it in promos for CBS News.

• Like 1

It's interesting to see the massive contrasts between O&O's at this point, especially among the ones that had not yet been fully NBC'd. Or how WNBC stood out as being so much sparse versus the others, this the peak of the "red line" era.

As much as this was a video for private consumption at the time it was made, I find the use of Jesus Jones' "Right Here, Right Now" to be ironic given a) how badly it aged in six years and b) how only a couple of years earlier CBS was using it in promos for CBS News.

I think NYC and Columbus were the only O&Os to use the NewsChannel 4 branding at this time. The Outlet stations weren’t fully NBC-ed until I’d say 2001... when WJAR dropped their Outlet era 10 for the WCAU logo. WCMH was NBC’ed much earlier... dropping News 4 in 1997 for NewsChannel 4. That set was gone by 1998 and the NewsChannel 4 Mobile Newsroom was gone by 2002.

• Like 2

I think NYC and Columbus were the only O&Os to use the NewsChannel 4 branding at this time. The Outlet stations weren’t fully NBC-ed until I’d say 2001... when WJAR dropped their Outlet era 10 for the WCAU logo. WCMH was NBC’ed much earlier... dropping News 4 in 1997 for NewsChannel 4. That set was gone by 1998 and the NewsChannel 4 Mobile Newsroom was gone by 2002.

It's interesting to see how long it took WJAR to adapt while the other stations bought during that period (WVTM, WVIT, KNSD) were redone at a much faster pace. Of course, WVTM under Argyle looked quite bland and WVIT was always a bit of an afterthought under Viacom/Paramount ownership.

• Like 3

WHOA! "NewsCenter 10 at 10"? So Nightcast wasn't used immediately upon The Vision?

It looks like it wasn't used until October '89...

Eagerly awaiting the newscast for that!

(Also this is the cut of The Vision labeled as KTSP 1990)

Edited by Ramona

Nine Newsflash 1991 - classic breaking news intro (recorded by yours truly)

RAI 2 1989 - speaking of classic intros, I taped this as a primary school kid and I freaking love the uber-cool simplicity! (and I always found the blooper so delightfully Italian)

TEN "Hard Copy" 1991 - Dope intro!

RAI 1 Tempo 1989 - most badass weather guy in the world.

Seven "Real Life" 1992 - speaking of badass intros. This was a 6:30pm nightly show in the 90s with Stan Grant.

These were all taped by yours truly.

Edited by fox2
  • Like 2