Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

They updated the music a touch when they introduced a new set later in the year - but that music update only lasted about a year and a half before Kevin O'Brien the legendary GM came on board and commissioned the classic 1987 theme and 3D SF Bay open.

Not to stray off topic, but it would be an absolute GOLD MINE should anyone ever find a clean version of that theme.

• Like 1

Has anyone stumbled upon this? It’s a KARK blooper tape from 1984 (I actually think it’s earlier than that), on Ron Gardner leaving the anchor desk and disappearing.

In reality Ron went to former KARK sister station KOCO, and was replaced with DJ Bob Vernon, who himself also came from a post-Gannett station, WLKY.

• Like 3

Here’s a bit of WTKR on the derailment of the Norfolk & Western 611 in the Great Dismal Swamp in May 18, 1986. Anchors Betty Francis and Ross MacCallum.

No open or music or anything on this clip, unfortunately. Would love to see more of WTKR during this period... this was months before going to the “Discover the Land of the 3” look.

• Like 2

Vintage KMEX news circa 1973. Might be the oldest local Spanish news video on the internet right now. Yes, back in 1973, KMEX's newscast was simply called "Noticiero". Video gets off sync due to someone thought it was a good idea to put a random menu thing right after the news intro.

Edited by PBC5NewsUnova
  • Like 6

KMEX news from the 1970s. Video gets off sync due to someone thought it was a good idea to put a random menu thing right after the news intro.

I think that's the oldest Spanish-language newscast in the US on YouTube. (The theme is in the NMSA as WTOP 1968.) Holy cake!

This is from September 25, 1974.

The newscast is extremely heavy on national stories. In fact it has no local stories in the A block and none until three into the B block.

The lead story in the B block is about the Honduran foreign minister describing the impact of Hurricane Fifi on his country at the UN General Assembly. That hurricane struck the country in September. Another story in the B block, and the first local story, is on the then-upcoming sentencing of California Lt. Gov. Ed Reinecke for perjury.

Edited by Ramona
  • Like 3

A weekend news update from América 2 in late December 1998, with Gerardo Prat. He later worked as a reporter at KRCA in Los Angeles. I love this graphic package: it looks pretty American.

Also, a promo of the new look, launched in early June 1998:

And continuing with a similar color scheme, here's the ITV Nightly News with Dermot Murnaghan in 2000:

ah yes the itv nightly news from my country, the weathergens at the end of the vid are legendary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rtLr0wbXVU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHYwUwk7yIw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Pdka_URJQ A string of WLOS reports from 1996-97 during their “Counterpoint” phase. Judging by their L3’s WLOS must’ve used an EQ Vance package. Paging @Ramona who I know can identify Vance packages... If only there were opens... I legit love the Greenville-Spartanburg market and want to do compilations for it, but there’s just not enough for me to dig through. Salt Lake City is in that rut along with Omaha.
  • Like 1