Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A closed-circuit preview of AM America, ABC's short-lived morning show, 1974:

That really is incredible. The video's caption references it, but for those who didn't go to the YouTube page, third co-host Bob Kennedy, plucked from a successful morning show on WLS, died not long after this was recorded, and before AM America would debut. The show would launch with Bill Beutel, Stephanie Edwards, and news anchor (and third wheel) Peter Jennings.

• Like 4

[quote name='SoFloTVClassics']WANE News 15 1985 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWjHvKZ42Q WESH 2 News 1993 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzevrLVRdP4 KNXV News 15 1994 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VltFl_HbQZo[/QUOTE] Lest we not forget how badass “News 15” was until Michael Kronley snaked his way in there in 1996... Also, @NESTLEH has got some compilations up his sleeve too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwXWduavvk
  • Like 1

[QUOTE="Info Junkie, post: 219864, member: 3593"]Lest we not forget how badass “News 15” was until Michael Kronley snaked his way in there in 1996... Also, @NESTLEH has got some compilations up his sleeve too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwXWduavvk[/QUOTE] Thank you. I might be uploading 3 more compilations in the future. The next ones will be the CBS tag-team from Detroit (WKBD-WWJ), and in the Boston DMA, WMUR (technically in Boston, but serves New Hampshire) and the NBC tag team of NECN & WBTS. @Info Junkie I know you don't take requests and that's fine, but I was wondering, when you update the stations that already have their compilations made, I wonder if you might do WTTV (maybe a tag-team with WXIN?) and/or WSBK soon. Edited by NESTLEH
  • Like 2

This is almost as 80s as it gets: a 1988 promo for William La Jeunesse and the I-Team on KTSP NewsCenter 10... Good golly it's 80s all over!

(La Jeunesse joined Fox News Channel in 1998; he also had stints at KTVK and KNSD.)

Here he is in the very early days of KTVK's Good Evening Arizona (before Cater Lee left the station sometime in 1995):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=LfhQ3rMSSgM;t=8

• Like 1

Which brings me to this question, does public access still exist? Aside from social media that is.

Governmental and educational access, yes, but public access, no. We had "Leased Access" on our cable system which was literally an excuse to have an infomercial channel. The local police department also once had a channel.

• Like 1

Brian Henderson's final bulletin as anchor of National Nine News on Friday, November 29, 2002.

The Sydney market has had many legendary broadcasters on TV and radio over the years, some of which are still on the air today.

But I think Brian Henderson was this city's best ever TV newsreader. His style of reading set the standard in the market that most others (particularly at Nine) emulated to some extent, including Nine News Sydney's current lead presenter Peter Overton.

Another point of interest with that old bulletin is looking at the other presenters/reporters who had/are having very long Australian media careers, some of whom are still at Nine to this day! :)

• Like 2

I’ve updated the WFLA news opens compilation to include opens from the WXFL days.

Good update! It's a shame that you couldn't add the 1982 Noon Open. That video which also had a few NewsWatch 8 promos and a Spirit of Tampa Bay image video was taken down a month or two ago due to the channel having multiple copyright violations which made me mad it was gone but didn't surprise me since he had pretty much the entire Super Bowl XIX game on his channel and we all know how the NFL has to protect "The Shield". MicroJow and Pannoni's channels have a lot of 1983-1985 commercials taped from WXFL but unfortunately their tapes were always cut off right before the newscast open. I think there is also an open from the first ever Live at Five from September 5, 1988 floating around YouTube from Mark Antinori who used to work at WFLA.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

Good update! It's a shame that you couldn't add the 1982 Noon Open. That video which also had a few NewsWatch 8 promos and a Spirit of Tampa Bay image video was taken down a month or two ago due to the channel having multiple copyright violations which made me mad it was gone but didn't surprise me since he had pretty much the entire Super Bowl XIX game on his channel and we all know how the NFL has to protect "The Shield". MicroJow and Pannoni's channels have a lot of 1983-1985 commercials taped from WXFL but unfortunately their tapes were always cut off right before the newscast open. I think there is also an open from the first ever Live at Five from September 5, 1988 floating around YouTube from Mark Antinori who used to work at WFLA.

Yeah that sucks. Videos being pulled really annoy me when I make these compilations. For example Video Archaeology had a boatload of Charlotte, NC clips until they got taken down, which is part of the reasons why I’m not doing Charlotte. It’s market #22 and they’ve got an archive the size of a market in the 90s!

I’ve also had yet to find some WBRE clips from the 80s on YT as well, which I assume also got pulled (did they?). I wanted to do compilations them, WYOU and WOLF to go with the WNEP compilation made back in February. Please ping me if you find any.

This week I will be finishing Spokane and, starting Wednesday, Baton Rouge with WBRZ (kudos to jacky9br’s mound of vintage BR material!)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Governmental and educational access, yes, but public access, no. We had "Leased Access" on our cable system which was literally an excuse to have an infomercial channel. The local police department also once had a channel.

Fun fact:

In Dayton, the UPN affiliate was on Time Warner Cable's leased access channel. It was run by WHIO and called the Miami Valley Channel. It ran all types of programming from UPN, Pax and ran repeats of WHIO's newscasts... and even had a live 10:00 pm show produced by WHIO. Lots of syndicated shows ran on it too (i.e. A Different World, Access Hollywood, Jenny Jones, Cops, Celebrity Justice, etc.)

Edited by Guest

I’ve updated the WFLA news opens compilation to include opens from the WXFL days.

This is awesome. You captured all the opens I've ever stumbled upon. I asked Bob Hite on YouTube if he would post opens from Part of Your Life era or Spirit of Tampa Bay. I really would like to see the newscast from May 9, 1980. He said he has a copy of it.

If you didn't know, Bob knew the bus driver that drove off the Skyway Bridge. Apparently, Bob was pretty emotional during that newscast.

BTW, there used to be a video on YT with a short clip of a 1976 WFLA newscast but no open and I'm aware of the weather guy that posted clips from 1973.

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 3