Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WJLA 1983 Theme.

I guess I should've expected it came from them, here is that theme in use at JLA from 1985: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=dHAi5cPpdNI;m=2;s=37

I wound assume WCIV must have used a similar open as well. Also worth noting is that WCIV back then used the same "On Your Side" logo that WJLA had back then.

• Like 1

I guess I should've expected it came from them, here is that theme in use at JLA from 1985: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=dHAi5cPpdNI;m=2;s=37

I wound assume WCIV must have used a similar open as well. Also worth noting is that WCIV back then used the same "On Your Side" logo that WJLA had back then.

They were both owned by Allbritton Communications, so no surprise.

And was that theme at WJLA by 1983? Wikipedia says they made the “7”’s edges sharper by ‘84, when that theme was in use. They also went through an... interesting image change in the 1984-87 period, which you can see in my compilation up there. They had the 1984 package with the ugly red set, a 1985 package with “So Good To Turn To” returning after a few years, returning to the 1984 pack by ‘86, and then ditching everything altogether by 1987.

Sydney 2000 Olympic Bid win in September 1993 - TEN breaking all-night coverage of the big announcement at 4:00 AM! (catch the decision at @4:30)

Having watched this live as a kid, I can say this was one of the greatest thrills of my life!

• Like 2

This is a curious little ID from WLKY in 1986 with a sung "Looking Better All the Time" jingle:

The musical signature *is* in the matching news package...

There was also an accompanying image commercial that received a Silver Award in 1984 from the Broadcasters Promotion Association (a predecessor to PromaxBDA).

• Like 2

[QUOTE="Info Junkie, post: 218831, member: 3593"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nbz73KhZfY The latest from Orlando - pinging @NESTLEH cause I know he wanted me to do this.[/QUOTE] Just looking at it now-- best opening so far is that one starting around the 3:30 or 3:31 mark for the late edition ([I]NewsCenter 2 Nightcast[/I]), with an apparent stereo version of the opening music on that late edition.
  • Like 1

A KPLR news update from 1989:

And then there's...Mark Curtis at KTVI!

He must’ve been sports director between Stu Klitenic (who left to do weekend sports at WSB and later stuck in Atlanta to voice Braves games) and, Greg, er... PETE Peterson (which I’m sure was KTVI management wanting to jazz his name up to grab viewer’s attention).

Took me a while but here it is - 20 mins worth of Pittsburgh news history!

Great job! I was on that channel yesterday watching the WPXI montage and when I refreshed the page an hour or two later the WTAE montage was up.

• Like 3

Took me a while but here it is - 20 mins worth of Pittsburgh news history!

Can't wait for KDKA/WPCW and for the Orlando ones... can't wait for WKMG and WOFL (actually, its just been uploaded) too! I noticed that you didn't include the WRDQ opens in the WFTV compilation when you did include the WKCF ones in the WESH compilation.

• Like 2

Can't wait for KDKA/WPCW and for the Orlando ones... can't wait for WKMG and WOFL (actually, its just been uploaded) too! I noticed that you didn't include the WRDQ opens in the WFTV compilation when you did include the WKCF ones in the WESH compilation.

WRDQ will be in a separate compilation. They had more than WKCF anyways, I found out.

After Pittsburgh/Orlando I might do Fort Myers, rounding out all the major markets in Florida. I still want that WINK 1993-95 open that got uncovered on this thread, if anyone can find it please send it to me.

I also chose Fort Myers because it’s one of the only markets nowadays that has all of its “Big Three” stations owned by local companies. Though hopefully WBBH/WZVN don’t get gobbled by another company since Bernie Waterman passed on...

And speaking of Pittsburgh, KDKA has a mean history of pulling off any videos related to them on YouTube, so I’ll have to be wary of that...

• Like 1

A KTXL news brief from 1995 (60fps!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=mJ8aGywB7XY;t=251

From the same channel, the first few minutes of KTXL's 10:00 p.m. newscast from March 1995 (complete with news open, which for some reason, still shows them using separate logos with both the pre-1993 and the 1994-97 Fox logo as well as the station's iteration of the 1990-92 "It's on Fox" campaign):

• Like 1