Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The graphics in the KDNL clip clearly are a mod of the Ellis Communications graphics from that period, but more or less closely resemble the mod of said package that WSMV got about a year or two earlier.

There's no doubt it's E.Q. Vance. Some of the other elements from this period are even more Vance-y; the dotted texture, the animation, the typefaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=uiflX0e1-pI;t=19

• Like 1

The transition from "Area 10 Eyewitness News" to "The Daily News" at WAVY took place in 1981. Here's an aircheck of highlights of the last weeknight Area 10 Eyewitness News:

And another thing-- the set for this newscast has the 1979 peacock to the left of the title, and the red/blue trapezoidal N to the right!

wavyewn1981.jpg.563c8c8c2b86632ba49e534d992cb7ab.jpg

• Like 4

Didn't know KBVO used Hello! Is there a "Hello Austin" lurking somewhere?

There is, and I always thought it was used by KTBC (as sister stations KDFW, KTVI, WSTM, and WVTM all used Hello).

Promos and ids from WMSN Fox 47 from 1990 to 1997, includes a pair of sign offs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ZkH2K5fXY

• Like 1

We’ve been on a good streak lately finding rare clips, so I’ll add another to the mix. A rare look at “News San Diego” in 1988 (spoilers: no open of course):

Also, that KNSD look had to be so upscale for '88...it still holds up after thirty years, though more as a period piece.

There was an open uploaded sometime back.. but doesn't exist anymore.

And lets bring these back in HD and have them be used now.. with Groove News returning as well! (Yes, i can dream..)

• Like 1

And lets bring these back in HD and have them be used now.. with Groove News returning as well! (Yes, i can dream..)

I remember seeing it — several of the other opens from the period (really the opens remained almost untouched from the '88 relaunch to '95/'96 or so, except for the change from "News San Diego" to "KNSD News").

ED794041-EE97-40D8-8FD7-831FAD7F1681.jpeg.974f7694dc9d5c97e7d086b0a14c3078.jpeg

Are these photos I found on logopedia from that video?

Also you know what I’d want more than those opens to be uncovered? A full-fledged clean cut of “Groove News” (the first version). Such an underrated package.

FDD131FB-DD62-4F05-9A22-BF4A9DFF404D.jpeg.6fafd19a47b713224d7fc41217488d07.jpeg

• Like 5

[ATTACH=full]6229[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6228[/ATTACH]

Are these photos I found on logopedia from that video?

Also you know what I’d want more than those opens to be uncovered? A full-fledged clean cut of “Groove News” (the first version). Such an underrated package.

Yup, thats it!

And there's a cut of it on TVPMM if you have a subscription.. It's in one of the Edd Kalehoff Demo pages.

The cut i want to hear most was a long closing cut that was used on many shows up until 2004. It was amazing.

I remember seeing it — several of the other opens from the period (really the opens remained almost untouched from the '88 relaunch to '95/'96 or so, except for the change from "News San Diego" to "KNSD News").

Yup most of the package was intact until 96.. before the Atlanta Olympic Games.

Classy.. really classy.

The transition from "Area 10 Eyewitness News" to "The Daily News" at WAVY took place in 1981. Here's an aircheck of highlights of the last weeknight Area 10 Eyewitness News:

Comparing that aircheck with one of the first Daily News branded newscasts a week later, some things I noticed.

1. How much Joel Rubin did while at WAVY (6:00 anchor, gave that up to move behind the scenes for a time, general assignment and later political reporter, even subbing as sports anchor in the case of the 1986 Harborfest coverage where he and Les Smith held down the fort in the studio)

2. Comparing the open to the first Daily News version to this one would be noting a major leap forward in appearance (the Area 10 era newscast intro looks like something a larger market station might not have gotten away with after about 1975)

• Like 2

A WSB open that was so interesting that I screen-recorded off a recently uploaded radioman1968 video.

This must have been fairly short-lived, considering the only opens I recall seeing which featured that cut of "Image VIII" were after WSB adopted the original version of its current logo later in 1994.

• Like 2