Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

If any of them could find a way to make the blue wall look attractive on a monitor bank today, they'd probably do it!

Funny you should mention that...

2113077750_2016bradley-baca0.thumb.png.aaa1696670cc0415b138fabb94450982.png

(Note: this was on a weekend morning and nothing was animated, so I'm thinking this is an emergency backdrop for when things are on the fritz. That said, they've only EVER used it once.)

• Like 6

But it launched on January 11th, 1995 and this is early February?

I had to correct myself, this was at least the 3rd or 4th week of the WB Network's launch. And yes, the station still branded themselves as TV56 before it went full WB56....by 1996 I guess?

• Like 1

It was, arguably, the ABC O&O's formula for success in the 90s: Copying WPVI.

I think only WTVG, WJRT, and WTVD were doing anything resembling a deviation at the time.

Even today, all the major O&Os have their video wall backdrops and what do they do? For most it's just a still image of the skyline.

If any of them could find a way to make the blue wall look attractive on a monitor bank today, they'd probably do it!

KGO was an outlier too. Did its own thing except for a quick couple of years 1985 - 87 when the company built them a new building and they got the KABC set. That got quickly dumped for something in house.

Then when the WLS manager came in 1998 he brought the WLS set and theme - that lasted 4 or 5 years. Well, the theme only two years before Stephen Arnold's Signature in 2000.

They even dumped Cool Hand Luke three times - from 82 - 84 and 87 - 88, then in 94 instead of going with Eyewitness News they commissioned News One. Didn't get around to using Eyewitness News until 2006.

• Like 2

KSTP June 17 1994 5pm

KSTP June 17 1994 6pm

ABC News June 17 1994

Just about 3 hours before the infamous chase began.

I really, really, really don’t like the usage of Chapin in those news opens. His styles and senses of tabloidism don’t mix with the news theme at all - especially for the 5pm open.

On the bright side, these clips were just another thing to add to my latest compilation:

After I upload the WCCO one tomorrow I will be doing a compilation for WBFF and then, it’ll be Jacksonville’s turn.

• Like 4

Boy, I just love being the first to post here after 9/11 clips have been posted. #sarcasm

Here's some bits of news reports from all 3 Omaha TV stations from the early 1990's, all focusing on the U of NE at Omaha Mavericks. This shows how ahead of the curve WOWT was graphic wise compared to KMTV & KETV:

• Like 2

WFLA's short lived 1992-93 era with Gari's "On Your Side". This set was deemed "too distracting" by management and in August 1993, the set was redesigned and the "NewsChannel 8" era began with a tabloid focus.

• Like 6

Before KXLN had "Noticias 45" and "Notivision 45" they had "Noticapsulas 45" (Or NewsCapsule 45 in English). Circa 1988 with Manny Lopez who would later anchor with KTMD sometime later.

López went to KTMD within just a couple of years from that clip. Surprised it took KXLN a while to get news going.

Boy, I just love being the first to post here after 9/11 clips have been posted. #sarcasm

Here's some bits of news reports from all 3 Omaha TV stations from the early 1990's, all focusing on the U of NE at Omaha Mavericks. This shows how ahead of the curve WOWT was graphic wise compared to KMTV & KETV:

I don't know what's sadder: That UNO nuked its football program in order to go D1 in everything else (perhaps at the coaxing of UNL) or that WOWT's graphics 25 years ago can be seen as slightly better as their graphics today. For perspective:

• Like 1

WAGA newscast from January 31, 1999 (well it starts there and flows into the beginning of February 1) featuring coverage of the Atlanta Falcons Super Bowl XXXIII loss to the Denver Broncos. Worth noting is this also marked the debut of WAGA's new set.

Also on the KTVK promos, nice to finally get to see the video clip of their "Count on Us" image campaign.

• Like 4

Also on the KTVK promos, nice to finally get to see the video clip of their "Count on Us" image campaign.

I screen-recorded them off of these NewsActive3 compilations:

Also I’m not done with Colorado Springs yet:

This aired 2005? 2006? Definitely was their last package using Broadcast News.

• Like 4