Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

It was more of a case of trying to get back to #1. They were tying/beating WTVT in 1985-86 and then ratings fell and they hired Terry Cole as ND in late summer 1988. It appears, based on what I've read, that Cole hired Shapiro from WTVT with the express intention of breaking into WTVT's servers. They also broke into Frank Magid's data. It was discovered in early 1989. At one point, a folder full of WTVT's personnel files was found behind a storage shed at WTSP's studios.

Speculation is that other WTSP employees knew what was going on, but nobody other than Cole and Shapiro were actually committing the act. The state could have seized WTSP under anti-racketeering laws but the ownership agreed to pay out a hefty settlement and donate to the state attorney's office.

Oh wow they broke into Frank Magid's data? Wow..Never knew this story but hey they did it for ratings points. Does anyone know where Terry Cole and Shapiro at today? Also who puts a file from the competition in a storage shed at your own shop? Did they not think about shreading the information? Do you think any of the staff at Channel 10 knew what was going on? The ownership that had to do the payout was that Great American Broadcasting?

• Like 3

That's from early October 1984 going by the World Series mention...and lo and behold, in the bumper after the open, it's that weird Telesound NBC music that's mushed in with Tuesday9 on the NMSA, alongside music we know is Telesound, from a known Telesound client...

Hmm...

Sticking to the Carolinas...

Came here to post this... you beat me to it, haha!

Early usage of Right Here, Right Now for sure... I wonder if it began in late 2000? Any Charlotteans have any insight? They were certainly using the more subdued cuts than the era with the powerful opens voiced by Charlie Van Dyke that are on the NMSA (used presumably after this)

• Like 1

LOTS of Discoveries from the KMGH 1983 video during Channel 7's CBS days

Ann Wade's former co-anchor Kris Long (at the 15:22 mark) and a promo for Robin Robinson (at the 10:41 mark). Little did we know that - in 1987 - Long and Robinson would be reunited in Chicago at WFLD. That was when FOX32 launched it's own news department in 1987.

A much younger Kim Christiansen (at the 12:02 mark) talking about the ski event alongside the KIMN radio mascot. That was before 1984, when Christiansen went to KUSA 9NEWS (ABC affiliate at the time). She's currently working at KUSA to this day (as NBC9).

The first known instance of KMGH broadcasting 24 hours a day, but only FIVE days a week, by airing the then-new news program called CBS News Nightwatch (now the CBS Overnight News). No sign-off sequence here; just the outro of Cinema 7 going into the intro to CBS News Nightwatch. KMGH signed off on weekends back then. But now, KMGH (as ABC7) is on the air 24/7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=OYR06gieGyM;t=1376

[quote name='ChesapeakeTV']That's from early October 1984 going by the World Series mention...and lo and behold, in the bumper after the open, it's that weird Telesound NBC music that's mushed in with Tuesday9 on the NMSA, alongside music we [I]know[/I] is Telesound, from a known Telesound client... Hmm...[/QUOTE] Gonna ping @TServo2049 because he will want to hear this... I agree this is the Telesound NBC affiliate package.
  • Like 1

Oh wow they broke into Frank Magid's data? Wow..Never knew this story but hey they did it for ratings points. Does anyone know where Terry Cole and Shapiro at today? Also who puts a file from the competition in a storage shed at your own shop? Did they not think about shreading the information? Do you think any of the staff at Channel 10 knew what was going on? The ownership that had to do the payout was that Great American Broadcasting?

Great American owned WTSP. Terry Cole went on to work in TV on the management side as GM at WOWK and, IIRC, WCHS. His (ex) wife was Sandra Cole, an anchor at WOWK. One of the newspaper articles did state that an executive producer was told by Cole that he and Shapiro "hated Channel 13" and would do whatever it took to beat them. Cole, however, denied he ever "sat and plotted" with Shapiro and denied seeing Shapiro access WTVT's computer files. (courtesy Google newspaper archive)

At any rate, this is how John Wilson opened WTSP's 6:00 news on 2/7/89:

"Our top story tonight-what could be the first case of it's kind in the nation. Channel 10's assistant news director charged with tampering with computers of a competitor."

• Like 5

CBS Nightwatch from 1983 with Mary Jo West, after she had left KOOL and before she joined KTVK (I've cued up the clip to start at the beginning of Nightwatch, but the rest of the clip contains some interesting KMGH promos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=OYR06gieGyM;m=23;s=3

This KMGH era shown here is a very interesting one - they were using what Logopedia has labeled as the 1974-76 logo around early 1981-1982, but then by 1982 they debuted the logo shown in that video clip. They finally settled with this logo by, at the earliest, April 21, 1983:

• Like 2

That's a pretty cool animation - kind of 80s retro. There's an extended version from 2000 here - has some of that HBO Feature Presentation vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=kWWRAU-J8Vw;t=37

By the way, those are the TV and radio transmitters on South Mountain in the animation; you can read more about them here:

https://www.fybush.com/sites/2010/site-100730.html

southmtn1a_zpskyn4yodi.jpg

• Like 3

Some wonderful network material (including segments of the CBS Morning News) in this 1972 compilation:

I've been downloading all of RIck's old LA TV clips so I can recover them all for you in the likely event of his acoount getting teminated. If it happens, contact him at videoscan1970@gmail.com to convice him to open a new account (or to just send him a thank you letter for all the work he's done uploading these one of a kind videos!).

And now, here's an overnight rebroadcast of News 4 New York from April 28, 1993, during it's tabloid phase:

• Like 5

I've been downloading all of RIck's old LA TV clips so I can recover them all for you in the likely event of his acoount getting teminated. If it happens, contact him at videoscan1970@gmail.com to convice him to open a new account (or to just send him a thank you letter for all the work he's done uploading these one of a kind videos!).

And now, here's an overnight rebroadcast of News 4 New York from April 28, 1993, during it's tabloid phase:

“WOULD YOU PUT YOUR MOTHER IN A PLACE LIKE THIS?!”

WNBC must’ve hired a new news director in 1992/93, and if they did I bet they were affiliated with a certain Channel 7 station in Florida.

• Like 2

Also, why the heck was WNBC airing COPS? Seems pretty bizarre, were they just not able to find anything else to fill the prime access slot? (Also, the "Rebroadcast" card looks like it was recycled from the 1990 Hothaus look.)

• Like 1

Also, why the heck was WNBC airing COPS? Seems pretty bizarre, were they just not able to find anything else to fill the prime access slot? (Also, the "Rebroadcast" card looks like it was recycled from the 1990 Hothaus look.)

Hothaus existed in the early 90s? Who knew?

If you want to know how my news open compilations are coming along I’ve been targeting Phoenix and San Diego as of late - including this one from KTVK.

Tomorrow I am doing one for KSAZ - which has a crapload of old footage on YouTube....

EDIT: By the way my channel’s KTXL ID compilation got flagged for “Violation of YouTube’s policy on spam and deceptive practices.”

• Like 3

That's a pretty cool animation - kind of 80s retro. There's an extended version from 2000 here - has some of that HBO Feature Presentation vibe.

KTVK's animation work in the 80s and 90s was done by David Miller. Yes, the same one that wrote their custom music.

Tonight Arizona might be the best of the bunch, too.

Speaking of AZ rarities...KNXV in 1997! Marc Bailey and Robin Sewell anchor, Ed Phillips with the weather, and Brad Steinke's sports is teased (but missing).

• Like 4

Some wonderful network material (including segments of the CBS Morning News) in this 1972 compilation:

Also noticed this has one of the few NBC clips (especially compared to ABC and CBS) from the 1972 election.

Also from Rick Thomas; here's the first KNXT "Big News" newscast I've seen on YouTube (apparent guess from several comments is late July 1973)

Hadn't been on this thread in a few weeks, but saw some of the WVEC posts. Definitely goldmines (particularly the post-KHOU/WISH theme/pre-Turn To intro)

• Like 1

Also noticed this has one of the few NBC clips (especially compared to ABC and CBS) from the 1972 election.

Also from Rick Thomas; here's the first KNXT "Big News" newscast I've seen on YouTube (apparent guess from several comments is late July 1973)

Hadn't been on this thread in a few weeks, but saw some of the WVEC posts. Definitely goldmines (particularly the post-KHOU/WISH theme/pre-Turn To intro)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just an expanded edition of the CBS Evening News from August of 1973. Which is still good, as likely the only other existing copy is Vandy's B&W recording. I'm sure Rick will find something from The Big News soon, he's rumored to have over 4,000 tapes of old LA TV recordings!

• Like 2