Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A whole bunch of KDBC promos from 1991. Note the use of Turn To! These appear to predate the introduction of the squares look and use the preceding blue box logo, yet we might be *after* the 1990 theme. (Speaking of blue box logos on channel 4, Steve Savard worked here at the time!)

Also dig the Turn To resing with the lyrics "It's time amigo / To let the world know"!

KDBC must have been in flux. They might have been using Turn To in 1990, but that wasn't what they were using as late as October 1990 for opens. By October 1991, they had ditched everything, including the logo, and rebooted as News 4 (instead of News 4 El Paso) with the syndicated squares package and the KCBS/WNEV theme.

• Like 2

WTSP on hurricane duty in 1988:

The station debuted a new set and graphics that summer, but kept the '83 theme. The next year would be a major year of change, with the computer scandal breaking in March, resulting in the arrest (Yes, the arrest) and prosecution of WTSP's news director along with more cosmetic changes.

• Like 2

The next year would be a major year of change, with the computer scandal breaking in March, resulting in the arrest (Yes, the arrest) and prosecution of WTSP's news director along with more cosmetic changes.

Wow. I find that fascinating. Apparently, it was for breaking into WTVT's computer systems. Its why WTSP has been last or nearly last since then. They may have done it to try to increase news ratings but karma to WTSP because WTVT remained #1 during that time and is still #1.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/20/us/2-get-probation-in-computer-crime.html

• Like 5

Wow. I find that fascinating. Apparently, it was for breaking into WTVT's computer systems. Its why WTSP has been last or nearly last since then. They may have done it to try to increase news ratings but karma to WTSP because WTVT remained #1 during that time and is still #1.

Guess where that guy ended up working (Yes, he returned to TV news)? rialcniS Use your magic decoder ring!

• Like 1

I’ve seen that open before - it was on this video from 1984:

You can see it on the control room TVs.

Is the uploader sure this aired in ‘83? Corinthian/Dunn & Bradstreet stations had unified looks & sets at the time and didn’t really change their opens at all, so this possibly could’ve aired after the Belo takeover.

• Like 5

We take you back to 1983 as WVEC Norfolk brings you the 6pm report. A news open is included with an unknown theme being used.

Is the uploader sure this aired in ‘83? Corinthian/Dunn & Bradstreet stations had unified looks & sets at the time and didn’t really change their opens at all, so this possibly could’ve aired after the Belo takeover.

That set looks just like the one WJXT used back then, same designer?

• Like 1

It's possible it may have debuted at the very tail end of the year - KHOU at least seemed to be starting to drift away from the unified look by that time. Whatever the case, I believe I'm reading "10-07-84" on the control room monitors you reference, so it was at least in use towards the end of that year (by which time KHOU, KXTV, et al. had all firmly gone their own ways).

There was a time where WTSP did get up to #1 for a hot minute, and I wonder if it was during this time. WOW this story is very interesting, and juicy! Clearly they had no shame.

• Like 1

I think the WVEC clip is from early 1985!

Roger Cawthon was named WVEC's sports director in June 1984 after working there two years, replacing Brad Face. But it's Len Randolph's presence on the 6pm that is interesting. He was the weekend met until around February, when he was moved to the 6 to replace Joe Foulkes. (Foulkes, who had already been the chief met for 20+ years, remained on the 5:30 and 11pm shows as he began his transition toward retirement, which he completed in 1988.)

In Newport News at least, the school budgeting process seemed to take shape in March (unfortunately the Daily Press didn't cover Norfolk schools for some reason), so my guess is that this would be from March 1985.

Randolph must not have been at WVEC that long. He had previously worked at KENS and KUTV, and by the end of the eighties, he was back in Salt Lake as the weekend met at KSL (apparently he's still there!).

———

This KYTV promo from 1986 features a mix of mid-80s graphics and by-now-out-of-date music:

• Like 3

It's possible it may have debuted at the very tail end of the year - KHOU at least seemed to be starting to drift away from the unified look by that time. Whatever the case, I believe I'm reading "10-07-84" on the control room monitors you reference, so it was at least in use towards the end of that year (by which time KHOU, KXTV, et al. had all firmly gone their own ways).

1984 would sound right. This must have been used for only a couple years, and then “Turn To” and “Spirit of Hampton Roads” must have come out in 85.

I think this new unknown theme is related to their “For People Like You” campaign of the time.

The KHOU/WISH Corinthian theme was still being used in 1984 after the Belo purchase, as evidenced here at the end...

But it's Len Randolph's presence on the 6pm that is interesting. He was the weekend met until around February, when he was moved to the 6 to replace Joe Foulkes. (Foulkes, who had already been the chief met for 20+ years, remained on the 5:30 and 11pm shows as he began his transition toward retirement, which he completed in 1988.)

In Newport News at least, the school budgeting process seemed to take shape in March (unfortunately the Daily Press didn't cover Norfolk schools for some reason), so my guess is that this would be from March 1985.

Joe Foulkes was actually chief weathercaster... no meteorology degree there.

The Daily Press covers the Virginia Peninsula, which is Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg. The Virginian-Pilot covers Norfolk, Va Beach, etc. Now Tronc owns both of them so they’re one step closer to merging into a regional super-paper

• Like 3

Joe Foulkes was actually chief weathercaster... no meteorology degree there.

The Daily Press covers the Virginia Peninsula, which is Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg. The Virginian-Pilot covers Norfolk, Va Beach, etc. Now Tronc owns both of them so they’re one step closer to merging into a regional super-paper

Thanks. This isn't my regional specialty, so I didn't have a lot of context. It makes sense given when Foulkes started in TV weather that he didn't have a met seal.

Looks like the Turn To package was in by the end of '85.

• Like 3

There was a time where WTSP did get up to #1 for a hot minute, and I wonder if it was during this time. WOW this story is very interesting, and juicy! Clearly they had no shame.

It was more of a case of trying to get back to #1. They were tying/beating WTVT in 1985-86 and then ratings fell and they hired Terry Cole as ND in late summer 1988. It appears, based on what I've read, that Cole hired Shapiro from WTVT with the express intention of breaking into WTVT's servers. They also broke into Frank Magid's data. It was discovered in early 1989. At one point, a folder full of WTVT's personnel files was found behind a storage shed at WTSP's studios.

Speculation is that other WTSP employees knew what was going on, but nobody other than Cole and Shapiro were actually committing the act. The state could have seized WTSP under anti-racketeering laws but the ownership agreed to pay out a hefty settlement and donate to the state attorney's office.

• Like 5

Indeed it was!

This wouldn’t be the first Belo station that used an image for only about a year. KXTV used its supposed 1986 theme from 1984 to 1985, when they switched to Spirit.

EDIT: Check out a KMGH promo for Robin Robinson (yes, her) from 1983 at 10:42:

• Like 2