Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The Florida News Network has always fascinated me. If I remember correctly, it germinated from from WTSP’s desire to compete with WTVT’s recent linkup with Hubbard's national CONUS satellite network (you could always tell a CONUS affiliate apart by whether they called their satellite truck “NewStar”). I’m pretty sure WPTV joined not too long later.

You are correct. Florida News Network was the brainchild of Ken Middleton, WTSP's ND.

Thom Allen also did V/O work for KMOL

• Like 2

A RARE TREAT from 1982 at KUSA in Denver (formerly KBTV and an ABC affiliate). This looks like the 6:00am morning edition of 9NEWS, which was just before ABC's Good Morning America (Joan Lunden & David Hartman at the time) came on the air at 7:00am

from the 0:00 mark to the 0:28 mark - the opening credits using the cut from It's All Right Here (Peters Communications version). It's the SAME cut that was also used on sister station KPNX in Phoenix.

from the 2:38 mark to the 3:12 mark - the closing credits with the cut from Peters' It's All Right Here that I've never heard before.

I've seen the 9NEWS opens and closes, which came from nighttime newscasts with Mike Landess and Ed Sardella, but never like this.

• Like 3

How many of you all remember this show from the early 90s? The very first show of Personalities from September 3, 1990. Personalities was a daily magazine featuring entertainment news and profiles of newsmakers and trendsetters. Charlie Rose left the show less than two months after its debut and was replaced by Bill Sternoff. `Personalities' was re-titled `E.D.J.' (short for `Entertainment Daily Journal') in July 1991, with new anchors Jim Moret and Janet Zappala.

• Like 2

A promo showing the worst times for Telefe's news division, back in 1999.

With many familiar faces sacked on New Year's Eve 1998 and with only one newscast throughout the day (weekdays at noon), they relied on crime and tabloid features to recover credibility, but it failed.

A promo showing the worst times for Telefe's news division, back in 1999.

With many familiar faces sacked on New Year's Eve 1998 and with only one newscast throughout the day (weekdays at noon), they relied on crime and tabloid features to recover credibility, but it failed.

Wait what... How in the world did they not have an evening newscast?

• Like 1

Wait what... How in the world did they not have an evening newscast?

Yes, between April 1999 and August 2002, Telefe had only one daily newscast, and updates during daytime and primetime programming. The 7pm newscast (which used to be #1 on its timeslot, and sometimes was one of the 10 most-watched programs of the day) was canceled because of "political reasons".

Former WRGB weatherman Tim Welch has some archive footage on his YouTube channel. Historical note is that he did weather between the legendary Howard Tupper and WYFF’s John Cessarich.

The 4:22 mark shows some good shots of WRGB’s news set in the late 1970s.

Edit: MicroJow has some Albany, NY commercial breaks from the 80s on YouTube. This WNYT one is notable - the station ID at 3:17 minutes in shows proof that they debuted the Cranston-Csuri GFX in ‘85:

Also was WNYT Ed Hopkins’ first VO client?

• Like 1

Those WTOG clips are rare-glad to see it. I've read a handful of articles about WTOG's news department, which I believe was housed in a building across the street from their main facility. The articles pointed out that WTOG was, at least until 1986, trying to do a network affiliate style newscast. However, on October 1, 1986, they launched "Tampa Bay Tonight" which was more feature oriented. Anchor Barbara Callahan jumped ship to WFLA Ch. 8 and would return in 1993.

• Like 1

A RARE TREAT from 1982 at KUSA in Denver (formerly KBTV and an ABC affiliate). This looks like the 6:00am morning edition of 9NEWS, which was just before ABC's Good Morning America (Joan Lunden & David Hartman at the time) came on the air at 7:00am

from the 0:00 mark to the 0:28 mark - the opening credits using the cut from It's All Right Here (Peters Communications version). It's the SAME cut that was also used on sister station KPNX in Phoenix.

from the 2:38 mark to the 3:12 mark - the closing credits with the cut from Peters' It's All Right Here that I've never heard before.

I've seen the 9NEWS opens and closes, which came from nighttime newscasts with Mike Landess and Ed Sardella, but never like this.

Holy heck Mark Koebrich is younger than I thought here. He doesn’t even sound like he did years later!

Six months later they were using the “9 Country” package that was carried over to WTCN when Gannett acquired them. I’d assume they debuted this package shortly after this was broadcast.

• Like 1

"Six months later they were using the “9 Country” package that was carried over to WTCN when Gannett acquired them. I’d assume they debuted this package shortly after this was broadcast."

I think when Gannett bought KARE 11 in 1984 (WTCN at the time), it had taken that 9NEWS magic, and brought it to the Twin Cities. Here's what I mean by 9NEWS magic:

• Reporter Andria Shaine - I didn't know Shaine was a 9NEWS reporter before being transferred to KARE 11 as reporter and morning anchor alongside John Bachman
  • The news theme music 9 Country - first used on KUSA (then KBTV) but also known as 11 Country when KARE played that music in their newscast. Both KUSA and KARE shared the same theme music
  • Joe Franzgrote - KUSA general manager got transferred to KARE 11 as THEIR GM
  • Talent with the same caliber as Landess & Sardella - Paul Magers and Diana Pierce
  • Great group of photojournalists and photographers - KUSA and KARE won accolades as NPPA station of the year
  • #1 in the Ratings - KUSA got out of the rating basement in 1976 (as KBTV and ABC), and so did KARE in the mid-80s. Gannett had ratings dominance in their cities.
  • Patriotic colors - red white and blue USA flag in their logos, graphics and animation. KUSA used it first, then KARE followed suit.

• Like 1

KTRK - Live at Five - most (10/20/1994)

Though the station couldn't provide a date on their clip, I was able to figure it out based on the live coverage of the same event that I had uploaded almost 2 years ago...

IIRC, Interstate 10 at the San Jacinto river was closed off for about a month or two, which required drivers coming from the east to have to go up to US 90 (Crosby Freeway) to cross over to get to Houston on the Eastbound side. They temporarily had one of the bridges with reduced lanes running for a bit as well.