Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

@Ramona Going back on what you said about WPXI possibly debuting Newsmat in ‘85 is now plausible. This Steelers video from 1984 still shows WPXI with their old logo: [URL]http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/1984_Steelers_35_vs_Oilers_7.html[/URL] Sticking with ‘PXI, this 2 hour Steelers Video On Facebook includes some promos for Channel 11 mixed in, as well as then-weekend sportscaster Randy Waters hosting “Steelers 5th Quarter”. Interestingly, his second stop after WPXI was another channel 11, this time being WXIA in Atlanta. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=id=1297900003626494;type=video

From the Philippines, Jojo Bailon's View on the 3rd Facebook, the final segment of ABS-CBN's TV Patrol from November 14, 2000. This one has:

• Presenter Noli De Castro, before he joined politics, in a live shot

• Marc Logan, the Jeanne Moos of the Philippines according to one commenter
  • Philippine politics (very strange back then)
  • a slight technical error

• and Frank Gari's Allegro, including a close!

Moving forward, to January 16, 2001, the 23rd day of the Philippine president Joseph Estrada's impeachment trial. ABS-CBN's cable news channel, ANC, covers the proceedings:

• Like 1

I am posting this, because this is some of the rarest clips of KXAS you'll ever find.

News opens from 1984 are at :14 and 1:19. The opens feature an unknown theme and some amazing graphics used during the final years of "Action News."

IIRC, I believe this 1984 newscast comes after Jane Jayroe left to take the job at KTVY (Now KFOR) and Alyce Caron was hired to take over for Jayroe. One

more note, NMSA noted that the KXAS theme was from 1984, well it was from late '82 or early 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=mY-EB6ZGOt8;t=1134

• Like 1

When KNXT became KCBS in 1984, it aired this special looking back at its history:

And from two years earlier, here's KNXT's 50th anniversary special. I've cued it to start with a feature about The Big News, the station's revolutionary local newscast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=-SP3C2QfySQ;m=29;s=47

There's one more KXAS piece of interest, and it does need a content warning.

During a story on a hostage crisis, the hostage-taker, standing outside the convenience store where his victims were holed up, took his own life—and KXAS was in the middle of a live shot when it happened. (It happens at about 3:07 in)

There's one more KXAS piece of interest, and it does need a content warning.

During a story on a hostage crisis, the hostage-taker, standing outside the convenience store where his victims were holed up, took his own life—and KXAS was in the middle of a live shot when it happened. (It happens at about 3:07 in)

Very sad.... been looking for this for years.

For a second at the beginning you can see the end of a Braniff Airline commercial, which was later used as a production company name for the TV show South Park 10 years later.

• Like 2

Very sad.... been looking for this for years.

For a second at the beginning you can see the end of a Braniff Airline commercial, which was later used as a production company name for the TV show South Park 10 years later.

So that's where they came from!

• Like 1

This is almost as 80s as it gets: a 1988 promo for William La Jeunesse and the I-Team on KTSP NewsCenter 10... Good golly it's 80s all over!

(La Jeunesse joined Fox News Channel in 1998; he also had stints at KTVK and KNSD.)

• Like 2

Here's KUSA from exactly 14 years ago to the day. Coverage from when a guy went on a rampage in an armored bulldozer tearing down buildings owned by people he had beefs with.

Also, this is probably the earliest clip of the KUSA HD era online. KUSA would have been two months into HD newscasts by this point.

(This aircheck was 4:3 and uploaded stretched to 16:9, obviously)

• Like 3

Almost full newscasts of former Univision O&O now Entravision station KLUZ's Noticias 41 from 1999 and 2000 respectively.

As you can see, the video features the very last news set KLUZ used under Univision ownership before Entravision bought the station.

• Like 1

There's been a huge dump of 90's/2000's-era WFSB on YouTube and with it comes some questions of what themes they used and when. For starters, here's Mika Brzezinski doing a tease for the noon news the day after much of their viewership was saddened by the Patriots loss in Super Bowl XXXI.

The bumper music in the background is the music that serves a the NMSA sample for "News Package II", their 1997-2002 theme which came into play once Meredith took over from Post-Newsweek. Problem is that this clip was 8.5 months before that transfer took place. Funny thing is I remember this being used after Meredith took over as well which begs the question of which theme being which.

Also, this clip from the Blizzard of 1996 (or in Hilton Kaderli terms, "Ginger").

And from the file of the other WFSB vet now working on a national morning show:

• Like 2

There's been a huge dump of 90's/2000's-era WFSB on YouTube and with it comes some questions of what themes they used and when. For starters, here's Mika Brzezinski doing a tease for the noon news the day after much of their viewership was saddened by the Patriots loss in Super Bowl XXXI.

The bumper music in the background is the music that serves a the NMSA sample for "News Package II", their 1997-2002 theme which came into play once Meredith took over from Post-Newsweek. Problem is that this clip was 8.5 months before that transfer took place. Funny thing is I remember this being used after Meredith took over as well which begs the question of which theme being which.

Also, this clip from the Blizzard of 1996 (or in Hilton Kaderli terms, "Ginger").

And from the file of the other WFSB vet now working on a national morning show:

Girls... pay attention because one day you can be at a local station and work at a national morning show the next.

• Like 3

The latter era of the two Bobs at the Big 9.

(Mike speak for WFTV circa 1986 with Bob Jordan and Bob Opsahl, both enjoying well deserved retirement)

Among the stories reported, the first in a special series of reports about the unrest in Central America, a resort tax increase which eventually paid for what was the Amway Arena, and reaction from the neighbors (same as it was with the Orlando City Stadium). Featuring Bud Hedinger (who took Bob O’s job and lost it a few years after; but bounced to

and
), Danny Treanor (who also bounced to Spectrum News, then to WKMG); and a strong voiceover by Thom Allen.

• Like 2

A taste of KOVR from maybe 1993-94?

And a WOI special report and open from 1990, both using News Leader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=QZfwpnTuzqQ;t=265

There's plenty more WOI from the Iowa State University library's special collections archive (!), such as this edition of "5 Country Close Up" from January 1, 1980:

And this edition of "Iowa Perspectives" from 1979, a special edition of Monday Newsfive:

The channel also has news clips and other WOI ephemera dating back to the 50s and additional 80s-90s material. If you like WOI, you'll love ISU's library!

• Like 3

The latter era of the two Bobs at the Big 9.

(Mike speak for WFTV circa 1986 with Bob Jordan and Bob Opsahl, both enjoying well deserved retirement)

Among the stories reported, the first in a special series of reports about the unrest in Central America, a resort tax increase which eventually paid for what was the Amway Arena, and reaction from the neighbors (same as it was with the Orlando City Stadium). Featuring Bud Hedinger (who took Bob O’s job and lost it a few years after; but bounced to

and
), Danny Treanor (who also bounced to Spectrum News, then to WKMG); and a strong voiceover by Thom Allen.

I’m assuming this open debuted when Cox took over, and wow, Thom Allen voicing a non-Post Newsweek station in Florida?

I wonder what WFTV used in the mid 80s before that open. We’re missing a good chunk from 1983-1986. (The NMSA says they used “And You” until 1987??)

And Patrick Emory at KOVR is a new one. That’s possibly the third station he worked at that wasn’t anything St. Louis related - he also had stops at WTHR and KYW in 1979-1980.

• Like 2

I’m assuming this open debuted when Cox took over, and wow, Thom Allen voicing a non-Post Newsweek station in Florida?

I wonder what WFTV used in the mid 80s before that open. We’re missing a good chunk from 1983-1986. (The NMSA says they used “And You” until 1987??)

And Patrick Emory at KOVR is a new one. That’s possibly the third station he worked at that wasn’t anything St. Louis related - he also had stops at WTHR and KYW in 1979-1980.

Thom also did VO work for WFTS' upstart news dept. after the switch to ABC, until the short-lived 28 News era in 2001-02.

Patrick also was at WTOG in Tampa during the waning days of their news operation, during their usage of 615's Pinnacle; the clips of the final newscast (when they switched to The Paramount from Gari) don't have him present, I'm not sure if he wasn't there that night, or if he left beforehand.

• Like 1

Actually Thom Allen also did voiceover work for WTSP in St. Pete during the “Stay In Touch With 10” era from 1983-1988. If you think about it his voiceover work really wasn’t just Post-Newsweek stations but also those in the Florida News Network news share agreement with WPLG, WJXT, WTSP, and WFTV (I don’t know if other Florida markets were in the agreement).

I haven’t lived in Florida since 2010 but last I heard Thom was doing voiceover work for the Autonation affiliated Auto Dealers in Florida.

• Like 5

Actually Thom Allen also did voiceover work for WTSP in St. Pete during the “Stay In Touch With 10” era from 1983-1988. If you think about it his voiceover work really wasn’t just Post-Newsweek stations but also those in the Florida News Network news share agreement with WPLG, WJXT, WTSP, and WFTV (I don’t know if other Florida markets were in the agreement).

I haven’t lived in Florida since 2010 but last I heard Thom was doing voiceover work for the Autonation affiliated Auto Dealers in Florida.

The Florida News Network has always fascinated me. If I remember correctly, it germinated from from WTSP’s desire to compete with WTVT’s recent linkup with Hubbard's national CONUS satellite network (you could always tell a CONUS affiliate apart by whether they called their satellite truck “NewStar”). I’m pretty sure WPTV joined not too long later.

• Like 4