Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

25+ minutes of coverage of the 1978 World Series from New York TV stations WCBS, WNBC, WNEW, WABC, and WPIX. Includes cameos from pretty much every New York TV sports anchor of the time. Plus John Tesh, Larry Kane and Chuck Scarborough.

Ahhh... Marv Albert before his infamous trial 20 years later.

• Like 1

Even more vintage south florida clips.

As for the clip at the end it's referring to south florida television so if you have any clips feel free to submit it to RET's Youtube channel.

Ahhhhh... Classic WSVN prior to its dramatic change later in ‘88 to tabloid news (and giving Scott Chapin his big break as the voice of tabloid TV). I bet the change was to hype up the switch to Fox. Whatever it was, it worked because ‘SVN not only climbed to the top in ratings but it also paved the way for what newscasts would look like for a Fox station for years to come.

• Like 4

Ahhhhh... Classic WSVN prior to its dramatic change later in ‘88 to tabloid news (and giving Scott Chapin his big break as the voice of tabloid TV). I bet the change was to hype up the switch to Fox. Whatever it was, it worked because ‘SVN not only climbed to the top in ratings but it also paved the way for what newscasts would look like for a Fox station for years to come.

Yeah, and NOW with the FOX sale to WSFL, I'll bet FOX is maybe a little regretted.

• Like 3

How's this for rare, WKOW's Eyewitness News from 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=dNOyvHVQwtI;m=26;s=2

And the original channel 45 in Schenectady, WUSV-TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=uxS0khyBcLg;m=6;s=36

And I really love this ABC News promo, looks very advanced for 1988:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=P9RPLgK90LA;m=15;s=53

• Like 1

KYW Eyewitness News 1975.

Best I can recall, this is the first complete newscast from Jessica Savitch's KYW days that I have seen.

Elsewhere, another WRC newscast from the first week of August 1971 (This one from that Friday, the 6th)

• Like 1

Does anyone know what this "Tellstar News" was? It looks like the later years of CBS Nightwatch but on a lower budget:

Some sort of syndicated "alternative" program? It was apparently headquartered in the Twin Cities area.

I found this on some St. Paul cultural interview schedule from 2016:

"Ramsey County Historical Society

Television: Medium to the Mind — Preserving the Interviews of TELLSTAR NEWS

TELLSTAR NEWS, a nationally syndicated news and commentary television program, brought viewers alternative perspectives and information on critical issues facing the nation and the world; 112 half-hour interviews have been saved from its six years of production. Ramsey County Historical Society would like to conserve, preserve, and share these important stories with youth and adults within the Cultural District and Saint Paul Public Schools. Funding in the amount of $12,430 from the Cultural STAR program will enable the conversion of all interview videos into a digital format, produce four 10-minute videos for classroom use, and make all of these resources available to the public on the RCHS website."

The video description says 1986-1995.

• Like 2

Some sort of syndicated "alternative" program? It was apparently headquartered in the Twin Cities area.

I found this on some St. Paul cultural interview schedule from 2016:

"Ramsey County Historical Society

Television: Medium to the Mind — Preserving the Interviews of TELLSTAR NEWS

TELLSTAR NEWS, a nationally syndicated news and commentary television program, brought viewers alternative perspectives and information on critical issues facing the nation and the world; 112 half-hour interviews have been saved from its six years of production. Ramsey County Historical Society would like to conserve, preserve, and share these important stories with youth and adults within the Cultural District and Saint Paul Public Schools. Funding in the amount of $12,430 from the Cultural STAR program will enable the conversion of all interview videos into a digital format, produce four 10-minute videos for classroom use, and make all of these resources available to the public on the RCHS website."

The video description says 1986-1995.

The only station I could find carrying it was a local Minnenapolis cable access station called "Metro Cable Network". So it was apparently a local show.

Elsewhere, another WRC newscast from the first week of August 1971 (This one from that Friday, the 6th)

I see that Herb Dudnick was the executive producer; he went on to create and produce the legendary NBC News Overnight and later served as KRON's news director and a producer of World News Tonight.

• Like 3