Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

While we're on KMGH...here's that Newsmat set and graphics still in use in 1989

Also you get to hear one of the synthesized Great News cuts. For some reason, most of those didn't make it into the package set that's been floating around the trading circuit. Guess Gari kept it out of the package when they released the later series.

Also here's the open from that era / another one of those missing cuts. The vamp is without a voiceover.

• Like 2

KMGH has had tons of missing eras for years, I’m glad they’ve (mostly) turned up. I believe that Newsmat set debuted alongside Bertha Lynn joining Jim Redmond at the anchor desk, as according to ads in 1984 the former was still anchoring with Ann Wade.

Now let’s see the WHBF open that was once only heard on the NMSA:

That camera zoom on the anchor is pretty jarring...

• Like 3

Commercials from KIMT in 1988 including for its news. The bump at about 30 seconds in uses the unknown KIMT/WTOK theme:

The first KXVO commercial here is backed by... The Ticket!? (It's even on the station ID!) The station had just signed on in June. Also, plenty of other KXVO and KPTM promos and TVbD design (for KXVO as KPTM's pack wasn't there).

• Like 5

KDLT's "5 News at Ten" 10pm newscast for April 19, 1995:

And from the land of rare oddities, "Today's Monitor", some sort of Christian Science Monitor-on-TV program from March 9, 1990:

Bill Moller also has a bunch of his reports in the 80s from WVUE and WESH, including consumer reports on everything from UHT milk to health insurance changes:

• Like 1

Not quite... Mort came to 'BBM as insurance because someone wanted Kurtis. Mort was to become the new #1. But Kurtis stayed and Mort was plugged into Harry Porterfield's weekday spot. Which moved harry to the weekends....

Crim, tired of waiting for Kurtis to leave, went to Motown shortly after Post Newsweek took over Detroit's Channel 4.

Until seeing this series of posts, I had been of the impression Mort went directly from KYW to WDIV. Never knew about the WBBM pit stop.

• Like 1

WEVU/WZVN 40th anniversary clip.

I'm impressed they did that. I've been wanting to get in contact with the author of an Amazon e-book about WEVU's early history to see if he could provide info on their early news themes.