Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

KPNX, Phoenix: 10 p.m., 1986 -- no open in the final days of Action News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCTuWyyHx4

Newspapers.com says that Action News became Channel 12 News on April 28th. That was also when they debuted a new set which I believe was used until they bacame "Arizona's News Station" in 93.

Here's KRTV in 1997 with Stephen Arnold's Newsleader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=NSam7b4-9sc;t=43

• Like 2

As to the lack of an open, KPNX never bothered to produce a new open for the 10pm show when Linda Álvarez left for Los Angeles.

This was the 10pm open that belonged to that set:

They were also at that time in the middle of a two-phase brand transition. Around November 1985, KPNX debuted the sung We're Going Where You're Going image song and began using it as a close. Keep in mind that this accompanied not only Álvarez being replaced with Patti Kirkpatrick but also

(Dewey Hopper left and then resurfaced in Sacramento — his media career was best described as bizarre). There were very good reasons for KPNX not to have a 10pm open.

The April 1986 change was much more wholesale — revamped news set, new logo, end of Action News — and included a more comprehensive news package composed around the WGWYG theme. It was in 1989, again in two phases (apparently), that KPNX phased it out for work done by TVbD. As in 1986, the second phase included a new logo, but set changes did not occur until 1992.

• Like 1

It works fine for me - it is not a private video. Are you located outside of the United States? T

It works fine for me - it is not a private video. Are you located outside of the United States? That’s the only reason why I would imagine it would be blocked for you.

hat’s the only reason why I would imagine it would be blocked for you.

It works fine for me - it is not a private video. Are you located outside of the United States? That’s the only reason why I would imagine it would be blocked for you.

I am in england so can you send it to me privately please and do you also have a list of your vhs/dvds please?

Take a look at around 3:30 in - looks like they did produce one for Patti.

I’m thinking the MO was cold open then talent at the first break.

That Linda Alvarez one ends with her saying “coming up next...” so it might be mislabeled as an open when it was instead used for the first break.

As to the lack of an open, KPNX never bothered to produce a new open for the 10pm show when Linda Álvarez left for Los Angeles.

They were also at that time in the middle of a two-phase brand transition. Around November 1985, KPNX debuted the sung We're Going Where You're Going image song and began using it as a close. Keep in mind that this accompanied not only Álvarez being replaced with Patti Kirkpatrick but also

(Dewey Hopper left and then resurfaced in Sacramento — his media career was best described as bizarre). There were very good reasons for KPNX not to have a 10pm open.

The April 1986 change was much more wholesale — revamped news set, new logo, end of Action News — and included a more comprehensive news package composed around the WGWYG theme. It was in 1989, again in two phases (apparently), that KPNX phased it out for work done by TVbD. As in 1986, the second phase included a new logo, but set changes did not occur until 1992.

• Like 1

This is about the fifth set I've seen that has the girders, the monitor banks, the rounded desk, etc. The most infamous one would be KNXV's "spaceship" set, and I've seen similar ones in use at WGNX (during the late indie/early CBS era), WOIO/WUAB (during the "Cleveland Television News" period), and maybe a couple others. Does anybody know who designed all these sets?

I'm reasonably certain it was The Express Group.

• Like 1

Speaking of CKND, here's the station's 50th anniversary special from 2005 -- it includes a mention of CKND's pre-1975 existence as KCND across the border in Pembina, ND*:

Part 2:

Part 3:

* KCND is mentioned in Timothy Green's The Universal Eye, a 1972 book about television around the world:

"The village of Pembina in North Dakota seems a strange place to have a powerful television station. Only a couple of hundred people live there and the nearest American town of any size is many miles away. But the advertisers who queue up to buy time on KCND-TV Pembina have their eye not on Americans, but on the half a million Canadians living just north of the border in the city of Winnipeg. The investment pays off; the people of Winnipeg spend a fifth of their viewing time watching the Pembina station."

• Like 1

I believe Dewey Hopper ended up at both KTSP and KTVK in the two years between leaving KPNX and arriving in Sacramento.

• Like 1