Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Back in the real early 90s, WTVT branded as "Your 24-Hour News Source"; while WFLA branded (though not as prominently) as "Your 24-Hour News Station" (jump to 0:57). I don't know if any legal action was ever taken, and WFLA ditched the slogan pretty quickly (along with the magnificent graphics that went with it). WTVT kept the tagline until the switch to Fox.

A similar situation happened in Milwaukee, too. From 1990 to 1992, WTMJ branded itself as "Milwaukee's 24-Hour News Channel," while WISN branded as "Your 24-Hour News Service". Other than these instances, for the most part, the "24-Hour News Source" format wasn't used simultaneously among competing same-market stations in very many places during the period it was widely used.

• Like 2

[quote name='Raymie']A WHIO bump from 1989: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jMplEHNzlc[/QUOTE] I'm afraid you've been bamboozled @Raymie. All the uploads that guy does are stolen from other channels (mostly ChenowithRules and its sister channels). Here is the original source of that clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=UyrBzBaj8ak;m=1;s=27
  • Like 3

[quote name='hmaxhanson']I'm afraid you've been bamboozled @Raymie. All the uploads that guy does are stolen from other channels (mostly ChenowithRules and its sister channels). Here is the original source of that clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=UyrBzBaj8ak;m=1;s=27[/QUOTE] Yeah, I kinda wondered...though I had not seen that (I tend not to see stuff in large commercial blocks if I'm not already looking for it). That said, it really does illustrate what a leap their 1990 graphics were.
  • Like 3

A historical compilation of news opens used by CBC's The National since the 1970s:

Speaking of The National, that was also the name of a short-lived flagship newscast on Australia's ABC in the mid-1980s. You may recognize the music from Channel 4 in the UK or KTSP in '80s Phoenix:

Brisbane had its own edition, presumably because Queensland did not observe Daylight Saving Time:

• Like 3

[quote name='Raymie']It ain't pretty, but I will take it. KTVX News at 10 using First News in 1992...as seen in Vancouver! @Info Junkie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=n1fr4Liueus;t=179 Worth noting: looks like the change to this logo occurred in 1991.[/QUOTE] So my theory was correct! I figured it had to be a Non-Stop track, as they were based in Utah, and I believe that logo change happened when Randall Carlisle joined the anchor desk in 1991 (around December) and lasted till late ‘93/Early ‘94 when they debuted “Total News”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s0kDpVMjvk Edit: Looks like the logo was used as early as August: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byIimaeybVs

I think I found the elusive WXFL/WFLA "Spirit of Tampa Bay" full open. Start at 2:14.

I may ask him to post the open on its own. He was kind enough to post the WTSP promo I wanted to see. Too bad it sounds like the audio is distorted on that WXFL open.

I may ask him to post the open on its own. He was kind enough to post the WTSP promo I wanted to see. Too bad it sounds like the audio is distorted on that WXFL open.

That guy should probably let another user upload things from his tape collection. He clearly has a messed up mind and needs psyciatric help.

• Like 3

It's primary election night in Illinois, so here's a throwback to the same occasion, in 1992. Here's the complete WLS 6pm newscast from that night. While Floyd Kalber was still anchor, morning anchors Alan Krashesky and Kathy Brock were at the desk that night. Back to 2018, and those two just celebrated 20 years together at 6, and just polished off another election night show just minutes ago.

Newscast begins at the 28:25 mark, preceded by a Sam Donaldson-anchored World News Tonight:

[MEDIA=vimeo]217929979[/MEDIA]

Another Illinois primary clip, this one (from the Museum of Classic Chicago Television) a short NBC update from 1980 with David Brinkley calling the Illinois and Kansas primaries (interrupting the premiere of the Daffy Duck Easter Egg-citement special)

• Like 5

More vintage Oklahoma news clips

BTW, how long did that set (which has a vertically skewed version of the tri-lined "4") and newsroom paint job last? A brief glimpse of the set appears in a promo from around 1990 that was featured in Bob Barry Jr.'s memorial retrospective reel, though a tape I have from early summer '92 that included a few KFOR news promos (including a "Fresh News" promo promoting the 10:00 p.m. newscast) showed that the newsroom had already been repainted all white, and the station had converted its set to the "working newsroom" structure that was used until 2006 (after the wall that separated the anchor desk from the newsroom was removed).

The only other footage of the period is from 1992:

You can really tell how the NC4 change came with a light graphics refresh (move from parallelograms to circle pieces). The graphics changed, then the Gilmer music was introduced the next year, and in 1994 (I think) they moved to the thinner 4.

Few uploads from the btm0815ma channel

1996 CBS News Special Report Intro (Hillary Clinton press conference after testifying before a committee investigating her in relation to the Whitewater scandal)

November 8, 1991 CBS Evening News Intro (last use of the 1987 theme until Scott Pelley became anchor in 2011/fallout from Magic Johnson announcing he was HIV positive)

November 8, 1991 CBS Evening News close

November 11, 1991 CBS Evening News Intro (first with theme used until arrival of Katie Couric)

• Like 3

Anyone love a good reboot? See what WBZ did with "One4All". Complete with well at the end you will see it.

FAN. TAS. TIC. YES! A standard in reboot anything has been raised since Ducktales (and to an extent, fuller house, but i digress) Gleeful from the 1st second when the theme hits. Are there stronger words than amazing or EPIC? There's gotta be.

• Like 5