Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

With Chris Sloan's clips, they're NEVER what they say they are on the box. (Not that that's a bad thing!)

It's a KFOR morning newscast complete with open, two bumps, AND A VERSION OF THEIR IMAGE PROMO!

It sounds like a Peters theme to me. What do you think?

It's primary election night in Illinois, so here's a throwback to the same occasion, in 1992. Here's the complete WLS 6pm newscast from that night. While Floyd Kalber was still anchor, morning anchors Alan Krashesky and Kathy Brock were at the desk that night. Back to 2018, and those two just celebrated 20 years together at 6, and just polished off another election night show just minutes ago.

Newscast begins at the 28:25 mark, preceded by a Sam Donaldson-anchored World News Tonight:

[MEDIA=vimeo]217929979[/MEDIA]

• Like 3

With Chris Sloan's clips, they're NEVER what they say they are on the box. (Not that that's a bad thing!)

It's a KFOR morning newscast complete with open, two bumps, AND A VERSION OF THEIR IMAGE PROMO!

One white whale spotted. In addition to some of the other Oklahoma City TV news white whales on our wish list, I think one should be complete KFOR newscasts from between 1994 and 1997. NewsActive3 has a couple of opens from that period, although those were culled from editions of NBC Nightside. The graphics KFOR used then were the best they ever used prior to the modified version of the Tribune Fox package they introduced last August. I'm not sure, but the '94 package may have been made by the same firm that created KRON's 1995-99 graphics package, there are a lot of similar elements in both. (I do have a video featuring most of a 4:30 p.m. newscast from early 1997, but I can't upload it since I don't have a capture card plus my laptop is being repaired.)

BTW, the "24-Hour News and Information Source/Station" slogan introduced with the "4 Strong" rebranding was the subject of a legal challenge filed by KOCO days after it took place. From Wikipedia (with articles from The Daily Oklahoman about the case linked in the quote):

[in May 1990], KOCO filed a trademark lawsuit against KFOR and its owner at the time, Palmer Communications, seeking $208,000 in damages and to stop KFOR from promoting itself as the "24-Hour News and Information Source," on grounds that channel 5 was the exclusive owner of the "24-Hour News Source" moniker in the state since 1980 and that KFOR's three-day jump in adopting the format and slogan upon its switch to a 24-hour schedule caused viewer confusion that denied KOCO immediate recognition with its rollout. Oklahoma County District Court Judge Bana Blasdel denied the station's request for an emergency temporary restraining order to prevent KFOR, which contended it was using a slogan that could not be trademarked, from using the term on May 25.

Within months, KFOR switched to obliquely referencing its 24-Hour News Source format in the news slogan it used until the fall(?) of '97, "Where the News Comes First, 24 Hours a Day," which was also used by sister station WHO during that period. In hindsight, KFOR's on-air look during the News Team 4 era was basically a knockoff (unintentional or not) of KOCO's then-recently-introduced John Christopher Burns package. The "4 Strong" branding is even reminiscent of KOCO's "5 Alive" moniker.

• Like 8

I'm not sure, but the '94 package may have been by the same firm that created KRON's 1995-99 graphics package, there are a lot of similar elements in both.

So you’re saying it could be a Tvbd package? Well they may not have KFOR on their client list, neither do they have WXIA, which we all know was one of their first clients.

And I’m sure that look introduced after the call change was to purposely not just knock-off KOCO but also to ratings challenge them — Peters even was responsible for both of their brandings!

KREM open at the end

• Like 1

So you’re saying it could be a Tvbd package? Well they may not have KFOR on their client list, neither do they have WXIA, which we all know was one of their first clients.

And I’m sure that look introduced after the call change was to purposely not just knock-off KOCO but also to ratings challenge them — Peters even was responsible for both of their brandings!

KREM open at the end

And, apparently, KFOR's 1990-92 graphics package was a somewhat better put together version of KREM's package of that same period.

As for the 1994 graphics, I didn't know that Television by Design was responsible for the KRON package; I'm just saying both packages are similar enough that they could be made by the same firm. Unless KFOR got someone who could do a knockoff that could convincingly pass for a TVBD package.

KRON (1995-99):

KFOR (1994-97) - Again, the opens are all we have to go on as far as YT content goes, since there yet has to be an upload of a partial or full KFOR newscast during that timeframe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=epUvR-XhlIw;m=11;s=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=ba9FA6rL6_U;m=8;s=56

• Like 1

Wowza, a lot to take in here! Had no idea that the slogan was the subject of legal action. I see the design comparisons to KREM, but KREM's package came first and doesn't connect all that well. As for the mid-90s opens, I can see the KRON connection a bit, but the "Where the News Comes First" part in the first one makes me think more of EGAD than any other shop. And since we're talking about Peters, that WEHT image song posted by @hmaxhanson is also their work and it uses the same ribbon logo treatment as this on their Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=732294140164663
  • Like 1

One white whale spotted. In addition to some of the other Oklahoma City TV news white whales on our wish list, I think one should be complete KFOR newscasts from between 1994 and 1997. NewsActive3 has a couple of opens from that period, although those were culled from editions of NBC Nightside. The graphics KFOR used then were the best they ever used prior to the modified version of the Tribune Fox package they introduced last August. I'm not sure, but the '94 package may have been made by the same firm that created KRON's 1995-99 graphics package, there are a lot of similar elements in both. (I do have a video featuring most of a 4:30 p.m. newscast from early 1997, but I can't upload it since I don't have a capture card plus my laptop is being repaired.)

BTW, the "24-Hour News and Information Source/Station" slogan introduced with the "4 Strong" rebranding was the subject of a legal challenge filed by KOCO days after it took place. From Wikipedia (with articles from The Daily Oklahoman about the case linked in the quote):

Within months, KFOR switched to obliquely referencing its 24-Hour News Source format in the news slogan it used until the fall(?) of '97, "Where the News Comes First, 24 Hours a Day," which was also used by sister station WHO during that period. In hindsight, KFOR's on-air look during the News Team 4 era was basically a knockoff (unintentional or not) of KOCO's then-recently-introduced John Christopher Burns package. The "4 Strong" branding is even reminiscent of KOCO's "5 Alive" moniker.

Somewhere in my archives, I do have some KFOR primetime cut-ins from the '92 Summer Olympics. I might post those at some point.

Back in the real early 90s, WTVT branded as "Your 24-Hour News Source"; while WFLA branded (though not as prominently) as "Your 24-Hour News Station" (jump to 0:57). I don't know if any legal action was ever taken, and WFLA ditched the slogan pretty quickly (along with the magnificent graphics that went with it). WTVT kept the tagline until the switch to Fox.

• Like 1

Back in the real early 90s, WTVT branded as "Your 24-Hour News Source"; while WFLA branded (though not as prominently) as "Your 24-Hour News Station" (jump to 0:57). I don't know if any legal action was ever taken, and WFLA ditched the slogan pretty quickly (along with the magnificent graphics that went with it). WTVT kept the tagline until the switch to Fox.

I believe WFLA started calling themselves that because in September 1990 they debuted the “Coastal” graphics and along with that they stopped signing off at night and they started an overnight half hour newscast (I think it was shown at 3 or 4am) but it didn’t last long (maybe 6 months). The overnight newscast was to compete with WTVT who would do short overnight news updates with Stan Jayson between programs.

The “Coastal” graphics were pretty neat looking but they ditched them during the 1992 Summer Olympics and the graphics that replaced it were a step back IMO.

• Like 5

I recall Raymie posting a KPLR article on the Discovered Composers Thread a while ago on a new KPLR look coming in April 1995. Could the package they used during “Impact” been that look?

Well, this is 1996. This is the blurb from April 24, 1995:

KPLR-TV Channel 11 will debut its new graphics package today on its 9 p.m. newscast. Color Associates Creative Imaging Group was commissioned to design and digitally produce animation and graphics compatible with the St. Louis 11 News format.

Also debuting will be a new music package for the entire news program, thanks to award-winning composer Scott Alspach [aka Scott Spock] and Turn It Up Productions Inc. This is the second phase in an on-going design project created by Color Associates for KPLR-TV. Phase one included the airing of daily episodes and generic graphics since last October.

The weird thing is that we're only 10 months later and the Alspach music package is gone.

What few graphics we have (14:03 has a 2-shot) are pretty nice; honestly they could work today.